RELEASE: Coming of the Storm - v0.3.2- 10.07.2020

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

marecki

Re: RELEASE: Coming of the Storm - v1.3.4

Post by marecki »

Hey, just picked up this campaign and I'm finding it quite enjoyable, other than a bunch of typos but who cares. However, the Orcish Incursion scenario seems unwinnable, not because of strong enemy, but because of utterly suicidal allied leader (Sir Casavir). He just charges out of the fort right into mass of orcs and invariably gets killed. In my last attempt he attacked, got beat up, retreated...and two turns later charged out again with 2 hit points on him. Seriously, what gives, can't you make him stationary or something? I don't see a way to get past this, even if I resorted to savescumming. Haven't read the whole thread yet, so sorry if this has already been mentioned.
TrashMan

Post by TrashMan »

That shouldn't really be happening.
His AI is set to maximum caution, so he should only venture forth during the day, grouped with friendlies and when conditions are favorable.
Light travels much faster than sound, that's why some people seem bright until you hear them speak.

>>> MY LITTLE LAB! <<<
jmh

Post by jmh »

Been playing COTS* for the first time over the past several days and I will join the others that find this a very enjoyable campaign! Fun, nice flow, fun character interactions. The down side is the errors -- I still have problems with New World; it seems to be the updated version (has value=5 "fix") -- but I'll play with it some more to see if it's just me missing something.

I've also not been able to resolve a number of "Image not Found" for several units. There is also a reference to an image items/gohere.png which I cannot find anywhere and seems like an odd path (but I'm still really new to the structure).

I also came across a problem with transition between 27 and 28. When Old Foe ends it cannot find the next file. The file was named correctly but the id in the file was set to something like ??_Rebels<somethingIForget>. Changing that to 28_FinalMeeting solve the problem and the remaining scenarios seem to be good in terms of the id references.

Again, great work and only some minor fixes seem needed to make this a well polished Campaign.

[* I have to laugh a bit at that acronym for the campaign -- I keep thinking of the "Commercial Off The Shelf" acronym that was a big deal for government contractors here in the USA about 10 or so years ago.]

May have spoken too soon. Is there supposed to be any heros recalled for 30_BreakTrough? Seems like they should be given the dialogue.
Oneandtwo

Post by Oneandtwo »

Great game with very enjoyable and entertaining story line.

Any fix for the senital? I get kicked out if he levels
RiveGauche

Post by RiveGauche »

Hi

Here's a fix for the Sentinel advancement issue :

Open the CrusaderNorm.cfg file
it starts with :

Code: Select all

#textdomain wesnoth-cots
[unit_type]
    id=Crusader
    name= _ "Crusader"
    {TRAIT_FEARLESS_MUSTHAVE}
Replace id=Crusader with id=CrusaderNorm
Save, clear cache.

Now, you can level your Sentinel without getting kicked.
UK1

Post by UK1 »

Same issue as above poster. Sir Calias or whatever suicides T7. It's absurd lmao. I'm not going to even tell you how to fix it because there are two or three very obvious methods of doing so and you're obviously not stupid or a bad coder. But you need to fix it because it's incredibly frustrating.

What I've played is enjoyable if somewhat dependent upon events and ambushes and surprises. This is really just my personal taste but I really take issue when a campaign starts a scenario "Do X" then you find out halfway through that you have to do Y. And it's not because it's frustrating or whatever, you just roll with it (though admittedly, I finished the escaping through the fog scenario just by the skin of my teeth because I thought I had all the time in the world). It. Bestows. Metagame. Advantages. To me, the mark of a good campaign is that if you play it again you won't have any real advantage over when you played it the last time. When you put a ton of twists and turns in your campaign, you make it less about Wesnoth and tactics and more about metagaming.

I just generally disapprove of when campaigns incorporate metagame elements. For instance there was another campaign I played where I basically had to exploit my knowledge of how the AI works in order to win a scenario. I wasn't rewarded for playing Wesnoth properly. I was rewarded for my out of game knowledge. Just food for thought. Like I said, though, quite enjoyable.
"Hey you, bats should be nerfed."
"Why?"
"Because I lost a game to bat swarm and I'm bitterUhm... clarity... and... consistency? Yeah yeah that sounds good. Clarity and consistency."
Do not. Nerf. The bat.
rmj

Post by rmj »

Scenario Old Foe

Several problems:

I could not get a peasant to transform into a fighting unit.

Ithilien's appearance: Elven Archer should be Elvish Archer
Aquae' appearance: same problem

The enemy was able to recruit the good guys' allies from the previous scenario; for example the level 5 archmage Avernus showed up.

Next scenario not found.
rmj
TrashMan

Post by TrashMan »

Old Foe is broken.
I never could figure out what the error was, because the game switches recall lists.
The enemy gets your units. I have asked numerous times for advice or help, but as you see, no solution cam up.

About the only thing I can think of is to re-do the previous missions, as maybe unit lists are what's causing the issue. I really don't know.

As for Scenario 6, Sir Casavir shouldn't suicide. His AI is set to defensive and cautious, especially during the night. The simple solution is to chnage this in the secnario file:
[ai]
time_of_day=DAWN,MORNING,AFTERNOON
aggression=0.6
caution=0.5
grouping=offensive
passive_leader=yes
[/ai]
[ai]
time_of_day=DUSK,FIRST_WATCH,SECOND_WATCH
aggression=0.1
caution=0.9
grouping=defensive
passive_leader=yes
[/ai]
Set aggression to 0 on both.
Light travels much faster than sound, that's why some people seem bright until you hear them speak.

>>> MY LITTLE LAB! <<<
Cashcam24

Post by Cashcam24 »

so I've been trying to figure out scenario New World but I can't get passed it. I've cleared the map and revealed every place on the map but nothing happens and I just end up running out of turns what am I doing wrong?
TrashMan

Post by TrashMan »

Cashcam24 wrote:so I've been trying to figure out scenario New World but I can't get passed it. I've cleared the map and revealed every place on the map but nothing happens and I just end up running out of turns what am I doing wrong?

Did you gather all the heroes? You must find all the heroes and then when you get close to the mountain, a scene will play and a hidden passage will appear.

>>> MY LITTLE LAB! <<<
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

That doesnt work. I encountered the same bug some time ago, only after playing around a bit with the variable that counts how many heroes i have (i dont know anymore how it was called) and when it is reseted and why, i was able to trigger the event
Cashcam24

Post by Cashcam24 »

Thanks I got it figured out idk what was going wrong but now on the scenario an old foe the trainers don't work and when I beat it the next scenario didn't work.
macherb

CotS: scenario 25 - scenario 26 -scenario 27

Post by macherb »

Great Game, but ...

Some problems in scenario 25:

When Avernus destroys the monolit ther should the terrain change. But there are wrong coordinates - net even inside the map (y=40, ymax in this scenario is 36). Thus the terrain does not chane, i.e. the monolith remains. The terrain Aa (snow) seems not appropriate at this place. I tried Rb (dark dirt).
In turn 20 Aquae says "Hold fast!... That monolith seems to make the undead stronger." even when the monolith is already destroyed (call of var "monolith_destroyed" is missing).

I think the scenario is hard, even in medium difficulty, especially when you go for the monolith first, because Venocyn occupies all the villages. Aquae needs more gold or perhaps less villages in this scenario

scenario 26:

When the character takes the powder, there shoud be a new scenario objective (e.g. blow up the damm)
What is Lotion waiting for? His group just waits to be attacked - and get killed? Perhaps a dialog helps.

Edit (10022016/18:54)
scenario 27:
This scenario does not work either. The training does not upgrade peasants.

regards
Herbert
Last edited by Ravana on February 10th, 2016, 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved post to CotS topic
saaltony

Re: Swamplings for 1.12

Post by saaltony »

Hi there. i know this is the wrong forum but i could not find the author of the campaign and didn't know who to ask. so,if you could help me ,it would be great. i am playing the (coming of the storm campaign) senario (a new world) and i cannot get past it no matter what i do. i found my heroes and gone north to the mountain. but nothing,turns just run out. thanks.
Last edited by Ravana on April 1st, 2016, 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved post to CotS topic
Sudipta

Post by Sudipta »

I cant start scenario 28 Final Meeting. Since scenario 27 old foe is broken i use debug command ( :n) to get to the next one but it says unknown scenario 28FinalMeeting and then crashes. I tried to fix it in the scenario code but can't. Please fix this issue. This is overall a pretty nice campaign with a solid story and nice custom units and i cant wait to see the ending.
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
Playing Wesnoth since 2010, still there is so much left to play