RELEASE: Coming of the Storm - v0.3.2- 10.07.2020

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

TrashMan

Re: RELEASE: Coming of the Storm - v1.10

Post by TrashMan »

Code: Select all

[unit]
	id=Hydra
	name= _ "Hydra"
	race=monster
	image="units/hydra.png"
	ellipse="misc/ellipse"   <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
	hitpoints=38
	movement_type=naga
	movement=4
	experience=40
	level=1
	alignment=chaotic
	advances_to=DeepHydra
	cost=18
	usage=fighter
	unit_description= _ "Hydra is a powerful beast with 3 heads. It regenerates itself and performs 7 attacks, at full health."
	die_sound=naga-die.ogg
	[abilities]
		{ABILITY_REGENERATES}
	[/abilities]
	[resistance]
		blade=90
		pierce=90
		impact=90
		fire=110
		cold=90
		arcane=110
	[/resistance]
	[movement_costs]
	    swamp_water=1
		grassland=1
		sand=1
		forest=2
		hills=2
		village=1
		castle=1
		cave=1
		tundra=2
		canyon=99
		cavewall=99
		fungus=1
	[/movement_costs]
	[idle_anim]
	[frame]
	    duration=300
	    image="units/hydra-idle-1.png"
	[/frame]
	[frame]
	    duration=300
	    image="units/hydra-idle-2.png"
	[/frame]
	[frame]
	    duration=300
	    image="units/hydra-idle-3.png"
	[/frame]
	[frame]

I marked the only thing that looks wrong to me. Anyone see anything else? Could that be enough to cause that unknown unit message?

EDIT: Yup, it's the Hydra. Replaced with a Bone Dragon for testing and now everything works fine. But the next scenario is avting u again - the SAME thing. Only with other custom units (that also work if core folder)
I'm going bananas!

EDIT 2: Not just the Hydra...Several units actually. All Hydras, the Cleric and Priest of Light.
ARGH! This is irritating!

EDIT 3: Finally! I found out what was wrong.

The units that didn't work were defined with [unit] tags instead of [unit_type] tags!
Light travels much faster than sound, that's why some people seem bright until you hear them speak.

>>> MY LITTLE LAB! <<<
Turuk
Sithslayer

Re: RELEASE: Coming of the Storm - v1.10

Post by Turuk »

Do NOT post multiple times in a row. Edit your existing posts with the new information, as anyone who looks at the topic will still see your post as the most recent. The button exists for a reason.

I did you the favor of editing your post for you and moving the information up. In the future, they will just be deleted.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
TrashMan

Re: RELEASE: Coming of the Storm - v1.11

Post by TrashMan »

Duh..I forgot :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Won't happen again...anyway, new version is up, 21 scenarios, a lot of bugs fixored! :mrgreen:

EDIT:
I HATE illegal cahracters! Damn corrupted maps!
can anyone take a look at this map and fix it (I soooo wanna use it).
Attachments
20_DwarvenCity.zip
map in question
(848 Bytes) Downloaded 278 times
Light travels much faster than sound, that's why some people seem bright until you hear them speak.

>>> MY LITTLE LAB! <<<
docrock

Post by docrock »

just playing your current version on BfW 1.5.7, noticed that in "Silent Night" the death of Lt. Ployer triggers ... victory ??? i'd guess it's not the point here to get him killed as quickly as possible, right?
Postings may contain traces of sense.
The ministry of health warns:
Living is dangerous to your health and may finally result in death.
You are a Dwarvish Berserker: you're freaking crazy and enjoy it. (100% ...)
TrashMan

Post by TrashMan »

I should probably remove that. That was one of the thing I never was sure what to do with.
Should his death equal faliure? Should his death have no effect whatsoever? Should it cause a rout?

>>> MY LITTLE LAB! <<<
eccentricity

Post by eccentricity »

i'm really enjoying the campaign so far, but i feel the later religious names add a degree of awkwardness to the campaign. crusaders and holy knights seem to be fighting for the defense of the valley, not a religious cause. names like sentinel, guardian, flame knight, etc. might work a bit better considering the phoenix parts of their valley culture and their need to protect their valley from outsiders. just my two cents.
TrashMan

Post by TrashMan »

Holy Avengers developed from your regular paladins (if you read the unit description) and undead are their public enemy n01.
Crusaders were supposed to just be named Avengers initially, but it sounded too repetitive.

Sentinel, Watcher, Guard and Phoenix Knight are all units that are in there already.

>>> MY LITTLE LAB! <<<
lastjuan

Post by lastjuan »

So far, I had enjoyed your campaign notably, I will always wanted to play in a army setting with lots of powerful units. Some thoughts:
-I think that the death of the Lt. is pivotal to the story, but I don't think that his death should cause defeat (but some dialogue would be nice)
- In some scenarios it's easier to accumulate too much gold, overall if you took your allies villages. Maybe you should set some sort of maximum gold.
-In the Royal Cover (I'm adjoining a replay), I you finish the green player before turn 30, the dialogue doesn't makes that much sense...
-In Fairwells to the sea, I suggest that you change somehow the victory and defeat conditions. As they are now, they don't make that much sense IMHO. SPOILER WARNING. Also, if you defeat any faction after the last ship arrives, why don't you receive the gold (at least I hadn't but I acknowledge that it's a minor thing)?

In general the story is entertaining and very well written. Also it's a challenge to play for so many scenarios without healers...

Now for my trouble:
- The scenario The Sacrifice doesn't load properly. After the end of 'The Preparation' the screen goes blank, the progress bar loads briefly and after a while the program exits. Any tips, ideas or solutions? I'm using B.F.W 1.5.7 under Windows XP. Now I feel like an addict without his douse... In my biased opinion you had done a beautiful work and I want to finish this campaign. Thank you :D :D !!
Attachments
cots-The_Sacrifice.gz
(21.67 KiB) Downloaded 281 times
cots-Royal_Cover_repetición.gz
(65.54 KiB) Downloaded 292 times
TrashMan

Post by TrashMan »

You get no message, no nothing?

Hm...dunno what exactly could be causing that. I?m using 1.5.6, you're using 1.5.7. Maybe there is some difference in a command somewhere, some small bit of WML code that's not compatible...but in that case I think it should give you some kind of error window.

hold on, I'll re-upload the campaign, so try downloading it again.

Just to add that the campaign is still not fully done. After Sacrfice there are 3 more scenarios and then it stops. What follow now is a tie-in with Tale of a Mage (in case you're wondering, you will run across Dillon).

And yeah - I found $$$ balancing to be the hardest part when making a campaign.

>>> MY LITTLE LAB! <<<
docrock

Post by docrock »

yes, the death of the Lt. shouldn't do anything, agree on that.

in "The Flight" on 1.5.7 victory does not trigger when moving Ellderon to the marked target hex on 1.5.7. also, objectives could be clearer, it always says "leave east" when you are actually to head westwards, confusing.
TrashMan

Post by TrashMan »

It shouldn't. Once you hear the talk with Loghain, you should get new objectives, to head North.

>>> MY LITTLE LAB! <<<
docrock

Post by docrock »

Once you hear the talk with Loghain, you should get new objectives, to head North.
yes, well, it still does say "east, err, north" there. also, i went to the marked hex in the north with ellderon and nothing happened.
TrashMan

Post by TrashMan »

All 3 heroes have to get on that hex (or very near). I updated the event but forgot to update the objective text :P

>>> MY LITTLE LAB! <<<
lastjuan

Post by lastjuan »

You get no message, no nothing?

Hm...dunno what exactly could be causing that. I?m using 1.5.6, you're using 1.5.7. Maybe there is some difference in a command somewhere, some small bit of WML code that's not compatible...but in that case I think it should give you some kind of error window.

hold on, I'll re-upload the campaign, so try downloading it again.

Just to add that the campaign is still not fully done. After Sacrfice there are 3 more scenarios and then it stops. What follow now is a tie-in with Tale of a Mage (in case you're wondering, you will run across Dillon).
No, but I had discovered that it's related to my choice on the Preparation scenario (SPOILER WARNING): if I choose to be a crusader, it works as it should but if I decline the invitation, it happens as I had described previously. The bad thing about the Crusader option is that he loses her ranged attack; that sucks big time :( :( (/SPOILER).

I hope that this information helps you. Also I think that it would be good if anyone else could confirm it...
Attachments
cots-Preparation.gz
(22 KiB) Downloaded 255 times
docrock

Post by docrock »

in "Orcish Incursion" the allied leader "Sir Casavir" should be made so that he sticks to his castle and does not leave it for anything. else he just has an insane tendency to suicidally charge into superior enemy forces once they make it into his range.

also, in "The Flight" i had put all three heroes exactly on the target hex actually without anything happening, but maybe that is due to the fact that i got informed about the ambush by the dying soldier but did not trigger it.