Mystery Campaign

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

jp30

Mystery Campaign 0.3

Post by jp30 »

I'm pleased to announce the release of Mystery Campaign 0.3.

Features:

* Much tuning in response to comments. It will now be hard for enemies to get high-level units, and they will spend a greater proportion of their resources on doing so. This should make high-level enemies rarer, and enemy leaders with vast starting gold also rarer.

* Added some new units to factions.

Requires wesnoth 0.8.5

Download it from: http://weka.ucdavis.edu/~jp30/mystery_c ... 0.3.tar.gz or the campaign server.

Help needed: would anyone like to recreate and playtest the Drakes faction? You will need to edit the file factions/drakes.cfg; look at the other files in the factions dir to see how it's done.
[/list]

Circon

Post by Circon »

jp30 wrote:This should make high-level enemies rarer, and enemy leaders with vast starting gold also rarer.
But,
an Orcish Warlord wrote:Greetings, Dwarvish Runemaster, welcome to scenario 11. I have 1124 gold, and my army consists of the following types of unit: Wolf Rider, Orcish Grunt, Orcish Archer, Naga, Troll Whelp, Troll, Orcish Warror, Orcish Crossbowman, Saurian Warrior, Goblin Pillager.
To complete the scenario, you must defeat me, or force me to surrender!
Gahhh! Even with my Great Grizzly Axemasters, I don't stand a chance with my 150 gold!

ott
Inactive Developer

Post by ott »

With the campaign server version of Mystery downloaded today (23-Oct-2004), playing the campaign on 0.8.5 and then trying to reload an Autosave, saw 66 of the following warnings:

Code: Select all

line 7560: WARNING: square bracket found in string. Is this a run-away string?
all apparently relating to lines in the savefile like

Code: Select all

name="side_faction[1]"
whereupon Wesnoth crashed and dumped core (first time I've seen it dump core). Alas, the binary is stripped so I can't diagnose the stack trace.

On restarting Wesnoth, the Autosave reloaded without problems (other than the 66 warnings above), so this may not have caused the coredump.

In any case, could you remove the square brackets from being generated as part of faction names, please?

Could you please also add a version number to the .cfg file?

jp30

Post by jp30 »

ott wrote:In any case, could you remove the square brackets from being generated as part of faction names, please?

Could you please also add a version number to the .cfg file?
The latest version will do both of these.

jp30

Mystery Campaign 0.4

Post by jp30 »

I'm pleased to announce the availability of Mystery Campaign 0.4, the infinitely long random campaign.

Download it from http://weka.ucdavis.edu/~jp30/mystery_c ... 0.4.tar.gz
or from the campaign server.

Features include: drake faction reconstructed post BFW 0.8.5 changes

Kellopyy

Problem with Mystery campaign

Post by Kellopyy »

I have played 0.4 version of the mystery campaign on nightmare difficulty and it just doesn't get any more difficult than it was on a first level.

Lieutenant
"Greetings, Initiate, welcome to scenario 22. I have 100 gold and my army of loyalists consists of the following types of unit: Cavalryman, Spearman, Bowman, Naga, Heavy infantryman. To complete scenario, you must defeat me, or force me to surrender!"

My shadow/nightgaunt horde has killed last 7 leaders with ease and I've been waiting for enemies to get more difficult. I haven't even bothered to try to save money anymore.

I understand that campaign got a lot harder in previous versions and I think it would be better than what I am seeing. Maybe instead of more money and experienced units for computer you could add more computer foes? If money is problem for player, then add random chests filled with gold or bonus gold (like in Flight to liberty campaigns fourth level (Caravan)) for killing enemy leader. I think that 200 would be good sum.

I love idea of campaign that is infinite and gets harder and harder so keep up good work!

-Kellopyy

jp30

Re: Problem with Mystery campaign

Post by jp30 »

Kellopyy wrote:"Greetings, Initiate, welcome to scenario 22. I have 100 gold and my army of loyalists consists of the following types of unit: Cavalryman, Spearman, Bowman, Naga, Heavy infantryman. To complete scenario, you must defeat me, or force me to surrender!"
Ulch! That shouldn't be happenning. Can you tell me what version of wesnoth you are using?

Kellopyy

Post by Kellopyy »

Wesnoth 8.7 debian-package.

jp30

Re: Problem with Mystery campaign

Post by jp30 »

Kellopyy wrote:I have played 0.4 version of the mystery campaign on nightmare difficulty and it just doesn't get any more difficult than it was on a first level.
I can't get the this bug to occur with my current working version of Mystery and the latest wesnoth CVS sources. Can you tell me whether you have the same problem with wesnoth 0.8.8?

jp30

Mystery Campaign 1.0

Post by jp30 »

I'm pleased to announce the release of Mystery Campaign version 1.0

This version features:
  • * compatibility with wesnoth 0.8.9
    * several changes that should improve the balance of later scenarios
The AI should now be less apt to bankrupt itself by buying recruitment options it can never afford. I now consider this campaign complete and balanced, hence the change in major version number.

It is available from the campaign server, and in source form, from the Wiki.

zaimoni

Death isn't defeat....

Post by zaimoni »

First of all, compliments for writing the campaign that convinced me to keep Wesnoth on my system.

I downloaded 1.0 earlier today (had been using 0.4), and was running it on Wesnoth 0.8.9/Win2K.

So...playing in strict mode (no savefile reloading) on Easy. Loyalist vs. Dwarves. Sergeant was the only unit available to stack on a gryphon, and he got unlucky in a couple of turns.

Victory :o Furthermore, the Sergeant promoted to a Commander :shock:
Attachments
Win_on_leader_killed_--_Mystery_Scenario_1.0.gz
Corrupts out after initial recruiting, alas.
(3.5 KiB) Downloaded 128 times

jp30

Re: Death isn't defeat....

Post by jp30 »

zaimoni wrote:Sergeant was the only unit available to stack on a gryphon, and he got unlucky in a couple of turns.

Victory
That's not so good, I'll look into it. I did change the way that victory conditions are detected in 1.0, and it is probably the problem.

jp30

Mystery Campaign 1.1

Post by jp30 »

Mystery Campaign 1.1 is now available from the campaign server, and from the Wiki.

This release fixes the bug zaimoni just reported. I also included some pending simplications to the way the campaign detects enemy leaders (which was related to the cause of the bug).

Hopefully this release will last longer than 1.0!

Hidden Admirer

never ending scenario

Post by Hidden Admirer »

First of all: thank you for your campain.

I played a scenario of the mystery campain 1.0 with wesnoth 0.8.9 rebels vs. undead on easy for more that 300 rounds and the enemy never surrendered (o.k. I saved and reloaded in maybe 10 cases to prevent that).

When I had the advantage, I did not kill the enemy leader but waited for new undead units to be created. With the support of my white mage I leveled all of my units to max. I collected thousands of gold pieces.

Maybe you can modify the surrender condition for the enemy to include the amount of money the player has and the quality (level) and number of units to prevent such a strange situation.

I did not attach the replay, since it is but it is >1MB.

ott
Inactive Developer

Post by ott »

Here are my patches to allow this campaign to at least start the first scenario with version 0.9.5 of the game. It probably still needs [objectives] added, but this is a start. I have PM'ed jp30 these patches as requested, hopefully the campaign on the server will be updated soon.
Attachments
Mystery_Campaign.diff.gz
patches in unified diff format
(658 Bytes) Downloaded 152 times
This quote is not attributable to Antoine de Saint-Exupéry.