Question on Wesnoth Background

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Tocharian Candidate

Question on Wesnoth Background

Post by Tocharian Candidate »

Is there any information on the religion of Wesnoth? There is an attack type called holy for the white mages, but thats all I can find. Can any one help?
MDG

Re: Question on Wesnoth Background

Post by MDG »

Details on religion are not present within the mainline world of Wesnoth (this is intentional not accidental). Regards the holy attack type, that was taken out of the game in dev branch 1.3, stable branch 1.4, i.e. quite some time ago (for various reasons). What version of BfW are you playing?
Tocharian Candidate

MDG wrote:Details on religion are not present within the mainline world of Wesnoth (this is intentional not accidental). Regards the holy attack type, that was taken out of the game in dev branch 1.3, stable branch 1.4, i.e. quite some time ago (for various reasons). What version of BfW are you playing?
The one deep within the bowels of my memory :oops:
:wink: Sorry! Would anyone mind if I made a campaign involving religion heavily.
Max

Post by Max »

MDG wrote:Details on religion are not present within the mainline world of Wesnoth (this is intentional not accidental)
not sure if UTBS is considered "mainline world". are there really no references to religion in other mainline campaigns?
(i'm not talking about existing religions because that would not be acceptable anyway)
TheGreatRings

Post by TheGreatRings »

Max2008 wrote:
MDG wrote:Details on religion are not present within the mainline world of Wesnoth (this is intentional not accidental)
not sure if UTBS is considered "mainline world". are there really no references to religion in other mainline campaigns?
(i'm not talking about existing religions because that would not be acceptable anyway)
Aside from the example mentioned above, I suppose some necromancers treat their craft as a religion. I believe one campaign also has a reference to a saurian cult, though I'm not sure.

Incidentally, Haldric in TROW refers to necromancy as "unholy". This might be just a figure of speech, but it still suggests the presence of religion.
"One man alone cannot fight the future"-
The X-files

"Send these foul beasts into the abyss"-Gandalf
Max

Post by Max »

just did a search on mainline campaigns. bfw is full of references to religion (god, gods, holy, unholy, ...). but there's nothing similar to UTBS (where a religion is described in details)...
Tocharian Candidate

I'm getting the feeling that it might not be the best idea to create a campaign based around religion. Thats cool, just thought I'd check.
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

Tocharian Candidate wrote:I'm getting the feeling that it might not be the best idea to create a campaign based around religion. Thats cool, just thought I'd check.
Actually, that could be very interesting as long as it wasn't around a real religion. (At least a current one.) You would be likely to alienate or offend many players. Also, while I would find an exploration of religious factions in Wesnoth interesting, I may be atypical.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
opensourcejunkie

Post by opensourcejunkie »

At the moment, I'm developing a campaign (Sceptre of Life) which further develops the character of "Eloh", the god introduced in Under the Burning Suns. So, you have at least one other non-mainline campaign that deals with a wesnothian religion. I'd say go for it. If people don't like what you've created, they can always hurl rocks and spit at you.
what if the Bible's claims about Christ depicted accurate, verifiable history? given some research, you might be surprised at the evidence...
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

opensourcejunkie wrote:At the moment, I'm developing a campaign (Sceptre of Life) which further develops the character of "Eloh", the god introduced in Under the Burning Suns. So, you have at least one other non-mainline campaign that deals with a wesnothian religion. I'd say go for it. If people don't like what you've created, they can always hurl rocks and spit at you.
Not to mention, many people have enjoyed SoL so far (myself among them) even with the use of religion. A New Order is another UMC that makes references to a god figure as well. It's not so much that religion is bad as that if mainline Wesnoth defined a religion that the people followed, it would have to be detailed and therefore a concrete set of beliefs that would most likely offend or turn some people off to the game. But for UMCs, if you keep the references to religion storyline-driven, most players will find the inclusion of religion interesting, as Beetlenaut mentioned. It gives more depth to the faction being played at times.

If you are afraid of the potential backlash, buy a shield and an umbrella. :P
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

opensourcejunkie wrote:At the moment, I'm developing a campaign (Sceptre of Life) which further develops the character of "Eloh", the god introduced in Under the Burning Suns.
Oh oh.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
opensourcejunkie

Post by opensourcejunkie »

Shadow Master wrote:
opensourcejunkie wrote:At the moment, I'm developing a campaign (Sceptre of Life) which further develops the character of "Eloh", the god introduced in Under the Burning Suns.
Oh oh.
That bad?
what if the Bible's claims about Christ depicted accurate, verifiable history? given some research, you might be surprised at the evidence...
Orcish Shyde

Post by Orcish Shyde »

opensourcejunkie wrote:
Shadow Master wrote: Oh oh.
That bad?
It (most likely) conflicts with Shadow Master's campaign "Invasion from the Unknown" where "Eloh" apparently turns out to be a mortal (albeit ridiculously powerful) elven mage called Elynia. Then again Elynia looks nothing like the false Elohs faced in UtbS and I doubt Yechnagoth would be that clumsy.
Shameless Crossover Excuse
Necromancer (campaign)

You are a Dwarvish Berserker: you're freaking crazy and enjoy it.
Tocharian Candidate

I wasn't worried about a backlash as much as I was worried that it conflicted with established Wesnoth canon. :hmm: The story I have in my head right now is set in the dark age of Wesnoth. The story begins in meida res as a young novice scurries out of a besieged monastery with a more senior monk and a knight and squire. They carry a Mcguffin which is required to keep the raw magical power of the area around them bound to the land (theres a long and complicated reason for this in my head, in short major chaos followed the creation of the world as rogue spirits, manifestations of magic, roamed the world and simply changed the land to how they wanted it be) which they have to protect from marauding orcs. They are fleeing to another monastery, but... complications arise.
I want it to be short (max 10 scenarios), but I'm thinking about trying to make the campaign less linear then most, with more choices available about how you do things. Looking into the WML right now, and I wouldn't make it for a while as I also need to make sprites and portraits etc. :augh:
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

I hope that you are using McGuffin as a placeholder to illustrate that the item is a plot device, and not as the actual name for the item.
Tocharian Candidate wrote:I want it to be short (max 10 scenarios), but I'm thinking about trying to make the campaign less linear then most, with more choices available about how you do things. Looking into the WML right now, and I wouldn't make it for a while as I also need to make sprites and portraits etc.
If you want to make a non-linear campaign, I would suggest looking at some of the campaigns that have branches. This will give you an idea of how you can offer more choices to the player in order to let them determine which way the campaign goes.

A number of people looking to make their first campaign often get bogged down feeling what you are now. Do not focus on all the aspects of the campaign as a whole, like that you need sprites and portraits and whatever to go along with it. Focus on the part that you can do, the coding. Make an outline of your campaign, of how you want each scenario to go, of the choices available to each player. At the same time, make a list of unique spites you will need, different portraits, and the like. After you have that complete, post up your progress.

No one can be expected to be good at everything, so if you focus on completing the parts you can do, often you might be able to lure someone with artistic ability to help you out if they feel that your work is worth it. Worth it means likely to be published to the add-on server and completed at some point and time. It sounds silly, but this forum is rife with unfinished work.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time