The War of the Dragon

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Re: The War of the Dragon

Post by Velensk »

I don't even know where to start.

Alright, I have a repaly of this scenario that is recent in this thread at the moment. I believe it is even on this page. You may wish to watch that.

As far as advice:

If that is your idea of a headlong charge then I don't know what to tell you. Many of your problems stemmed from you moving slowly to maintain formation. Recruit your units and send them toward your enemy as soon as you can. Don't worry, as soon as the fighting starts your other units will have a chance to catch up. The more time you spend dallying the more foes you have to fight because your enemies will colectivly pump out 4-5 a turn.

It's generally not worth recalling leveled crystals. For the same price you could get two smaller ones. Also, it is worth it to spend that extra turn to recruit more crystals. Recruit the crystals last, but then use their teleport ability to move them forward.

You completely misunderstood what was meant with the crystals You don't hold the starting area with the crystals and a healer, the area where you first want to start holding is the area where you first saw the saurian this time through. After that just keep pressing forward and occasionally move your back line up.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Statue

Post by Statue »

Thanks for the tips :). I totally agree, it was neither one thing or the other as far as a decent rush or a controlled tight formation move; I was conscious of not knowing what the layout up there would be and what I'd run into, so was trying not to hang any units (apart from the deliberate blocking ones) during the attempt, yet at the same time was conscious of how many enemies come at the castle area at the start so wanted to get out of there. Those two factors meant it ended up being simultaneously too restrained as a rush (worried about the unknown I was heading into) and too uncontrolled as a tight formation advance (worried by what I knew would come from the rear). Guess it's better to pick one or the other to have a refined and coherent strategy rather than the strange mixture I ended up with :)

Aha so I was initially (the attempts before the replay I posted) trying to hold the wrong part of the map when I tried to hold at the castle. It looked defensible with the single hex gaps that could be plugged but totally played to the strengths of the water-based enemies. Will try to hold at the later point you mentioned.

Apologies for not spotting you'd already posted a replay, grabbing that now, I'm sure it'll straighten me out. I love other people's replays, they're excellent learning tools for specific challenges :)

Thanks
Theron

Post by Theron »

Holding the starting area (and the SE part of the map) does work.

I made use of knowing the locations of the elements. But this is not a critical part of this strategy.
Attachments
The_Way_Under_replay.gz
WotD 1.3.4?, medium difficulty / Wesnoth 1.6.4
(139.42 KiB) Downloaded 465 times
Allincontrario

Post by Allincontrario »

Hi, I'm joining the discussion to add in some reports from my experience of the WotD, it'll be a pleasure to help tuning up such an amusing campaign.

The Way Under
Looong scenario, real fun. Concerning strategy I just throw everything I had up north, take me probably more than 20 turns to dismantle the huge wall of nagas and squids that amassed ALL just before the saurian stronghold, but nobody never showed up at my back, with the exception of a few sporadic incursions from flying devilings, that I countered with a couple of reaver patrolling the channel and a weaver occasionally teleporting back to regain control of lost villages.
The possession thing doesn't worked for me, maybe because i hopped in the cursed castle with the fire wisp?

Fleeing the Dragon
Not sure what to say about this one, I played it twice with very different results. First time I was probably lucky cause undead, warg and bandits completely destroy each others, so I had to kill just the leaders of each faction. Second time I stumbled upon the pack of devilings in the hills with my forces scattered and off guard, and they suddenly wiped out half of my army. Really upsetting.

Battle with the Unseen
There should be a missing event trigger, the silver mage shows up at the start of this scenario even if he didn't disappear under the hill in the previous. So now I've two "Will" in my army.

Taking to Sea
Pirates attack seems to have no influence at all on the main battle, it was far less than a distraction.

Temple of the Deep
Still challenging for me, skirmishes almost everywhere on the map all the time, and a real thrill when the water start rising so early.
Still the hidden magic item seems not working, the picking unit showed no changes in damage, movement, resistances or anything.
Also hidden treasure chests give very little gold compared to the time and effort needed to get them, imho.

Return to the Mainland
I can confirm that this scenario is easy if compared to those before. Maybe a little too easy?
It was no deal to block the upcoming vampire horde at the south river, and I easily managed to outflank their forces with a couple of strong flying units and slice down the arrogant vampire leader already at turn 10!
A few more 2° lvl vampires or 1° lvl bats, or even a couple of standing guards in the rear, would have made things more interesting.

Therians
Still a bit too much on the easy side of the campaign for me, therian allies have proved themselves strong enough to win on their own against both of the undead leaders, but of course this could be intentional.
What about a bonus/malus depending on the number of therian civilians saved?

I've noticed also a few typo errors in the dialogs showing between scenarios, unfortunately I didn't record them, sorry for this partial information.

And above all, thanks for keep working on this great campaign!
asterius

Post by asterius »

Plans to release this for 1.8? Kromire is pretty fun - want more AoM addons please :-)
acthrawn

Post by acthrawn »

I have a problem by the switch from Temple of the deep to Return to the Mainland-Szenario.

Before the map is visiable, i get the error-message:

Der Spielstand konnte nicht geladen werden (free translated: The savegame wasn't able to start): load_game_failed: Invalid starting position (-999,-999) for the leader of side 1.

Further Note:
I don't remember why, but I found a wizard named Will in one early Szenario, in the following gamepart the wizard was dubbled without any reason or consequenzes. I played a long time with both wizards until one of them died in the Temple of the deep-gamepart

I like the campain like no BfW-campain before and want to play the next szenario at all bedings!

Thx
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

I do not know what caused the error. Try opening up the map in the editor the player 1 starting location should be at the small camp to the north.

I do plan to update War of the Dragon to 1.8 and from the looks of it I should have plenty of time to do this. However I am busy with a couple other things at the moment.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
acthrawn

Post by acthrawn »

It was a version-problem. I have had only 1.4 installed. So the maps'/scenarios 12-14 were no loadable. Now I have updated to 1.65 and wonder-oh-wonder: The maps 12-14 are visible. But after copying the whole Era- and Campain-Stuff in the new foulder, I have a new problem. If I want to load my old game, he said error cause of he can't found "Windsong Harbinger". What I have made wrong?:hmm:
In witch foulder he search, if not in "userdata/data/campaigns/era of myth/units"
or "userdata/data/campaigns/war of dragon/units"?

The campain is very long, even on the hardest possible way. So I hesitade to play all 11 maps once more (I know the story and the surprise changes wouln'd have the old bite if you know them before they drop).

Thank you for your time and help.
Please, make more campains, I will play all of them! (and the whole flat-sharing community here in Berlin, too)
Ruksa

Post by Ruksa »

How is one supposed to fare on lisuandra's stand?
I lasted for a measly 11 turns.
I started w/ 200 gold.
AI gets 186 gold per turn!(82/52/52)
Played on 'Hard'.
Albeit this was my first run and made a half-hearted attempt to flee much too late but...
ugh.
Did I do terrible, or just awful?
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

I've never lasted more than 18 turns after correcting the exploit. On normal 15 turns is sufficient.
humanressource

Post by humanressource »

Sir, this is one superior campaign you developed. It even made me register myself in the forums to give you some kudos :)

Just finished the available scenarios at highest difficulty.
Storywise it got this completely different mood in comparison to all the other scenarios i played. The style of the dialogues radiates so much dedication of the characters to their cause. It becomes clear: everyone is dispensable (yes, even kick-ass-miss-legendary.), only a few need to stand a little longer than others. Mayhaps it is due to the different writingstyle which at some points does sound a little odd (please dont get me wrong) but that contributes a lot to the ambiente. It has something, gotta ask the dictionary for the right interpretation... yes, sublime expresses it all right.

This one especially made me grin:
Pirates? we are very fortunate... You misunderstand. We are fortunate to have replacement ships so readily available.
Talking about the "PIRATES" Map. There seems to be a typo in the objective-definition so you dont see the victory- and lose-conditions. Not that it is not clear what has to be achieved. But obviously some id variable sneaked in there instead of description

Code: Select all

# original source
            [objective]
                id= _ "Defeat the Pirates"
                condition=win
            [/objective]
Also: maybe you could build in some lables for turn1 to make it easier for the player to determine which recruit goes to what ship? I guess it is intended the way it is right now, given the chaos in such a situation. It was indeed fun to fight for my life after recruiting a 4 man crew per ship. Too bad, Hector was in the wrong place so i lost. Which led me to start over and leave some ships unmanned in order to mass up forces in strategically valuable places. After that it was cake.
Thinking about it, maybe this is not the idea behind that scenario. It definitely gets too easy that way. To avoid this maybe a player should be forced to recruit units for every ship? That would certainly make it a bit harder.

Got nothing to say about the later scenarios. All good the way they are. Enjoyed the Valemoi Ruins especially. First i didnt remember the map, having played Kromire way back... But its a really nice view from down there. Great opportunity to level the Therians. They even get their own sparring partner for each damage type! Only sad thing was the Vampire dude getting wiped in round 12. For the conversation with him made me grin once more.

Hope you get some spare time to finish this off. But alas, Reallife can be really time consuming.

Best wishes
HR
For we are many!
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

Nice to hear that. I have been working on the campaign slowly and currently have two completed scenarios more than are available. Not nearly as much as I had hoped to have done by this point but a certain map making contest and family visit eat my free time last break.
nersd

Post by nersd »

I have a problem with the mission "island under fire".

I played this mission for several hours and with help of the KI-ally we killed all of the enemies. I was very happy.
But the mission was a failure! What happend? How could I solve the failure? But, I will not play this mission again!

Will next version solve this problem?
nersd

Post by nersd »

Now I played the mission again :? I tried to let some enemies survive. But at the end of the turns the mission is also a failure :augh: What can I do to accomplish this buggy mission? Until this mission the campaign was quite good.
Either the briefing is wrong or the mission is heavily buggy.

I hate such bugs without being warned :!: :augh:

I need help. Thanks for it.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

You are thinking of some other campaign. This campaign has no scenario by that name or that description.