campaign stub: Campaign-How-To (A Simple Campaign)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

campaign stub: Campaign-How-To (A Simple Campaign)

Post by Anonymissimus »

(This post was added to this thread, original opening post is below)
A simple campaing is a minimum singleplayer campaign aimed at wml beginners because it's always easier to start by modifying something that is already working. Download from the add-ons server (1.11.x/1.12.x). It may be called "Campaign-How-To" in the addons list.
Any other information is in the add-on itsself. There is/was also a wiki site related to this add-on but I tend to not maintain it. ;)
Last edited by Anonymissimus on March 22nd, 2011, 11:13 pm, edited 5 times in total.
projects (BfW 1.12):
A Simple Campaign: campaign draft for wml startersPlan Your Advancements: mp mod
The Earth's Gut: sp campaignSettlers of Wesnoth: mp scenarioWesnoth Lua Pack: lua tags and utils
updated to 1.8 and handed over: A Gryphon's Tale: sp campaign
opensourcejunkie

A Simple Campaign, version 0.1.0 [2]

Post by opensourcejunkie »

Hey all, I'm starting a new campaign called..."A Simple Campaign" Inspired by the wiki's example (of the same name), I am setting out to write a skeleton campaign that new users can build off of. Well, to be completely honest, it's already pretty much finished (it's been a side project of mine for a while); I'm just advertising it now.

The sad thing is, today as I was reading through the wiki, I noticed that xer has already written a skeleton campaign! (jerk! ;-) But, since I've already written the campaign, I figured I'd post it anyway.

In addition to ASC, however, I also plan to write a step by step tutorial on how to edit ASC such that it can be morphed into a real campaign. The wiki campaign instructions as-is don't seem very newbie-friendly; as Marionette said, "There exists a large amount of information there, (but) much of it is heavily scattered or appears to be incomplete."

So, when Sceptre of Life gets me down, I'll work on this campaign tutorial. Hopefully it'll become something useful. As for ASC, I'll attach the campaign here, and link to it in the wiki.

cheers!
--OSJ
what if the Bible's claims about Christ depicted accurate, verifiable history? given some research, you might be surprised at the evidence...
woodmouse

Re: A Simple Campaign, version 0.1.0

Post by woodmouse »

Xer made a campaign skeleton
Check out my sprites!
opensourcejunkie

yeah, I acknowledged that in the post above (*offers his reading glasses :-) I created ASC before I found xer's. So, more or less, I've duplicated effort, but hey, it's no big deal. Besides, I like mine better - it has prettier comments :-).

The thing is, however, I don't think a campaign skeleton is enough. There are a lot of strange things that go on in between [campaign] and [/campaign], and in my short time here this has been the most frequent topic I see people confused about. So, the important thing is not ASC, but rather the tutorial that will accompany ASC.

Speaking of which, here's a link to it; I haven't developed much, but it's a start.
what if the Bible's claims about Christ depicted accurate, verifiable history? given some research, you might be surprised at the evidence...
Crushmaster

Post by Crushmaster »

I've played around with it some, and I like it. :) I'm looking forward to your additions to it.
God bless,
Crushmaster.
Godspeed, random person!
NeedGod - User:Crushmaster
opensourcejunkie

cool, tx :-)
Bill_the_Cat

Post by Bill_the_Cat »

Ok. I've downloaded the file and moved it into the library/preferences/wesnoth/userdata/data/campaigns directory, but it refuses to show up on the campaign selection list, and I have no idea why. The only thing is that I had to create the userdata file, since there wasn't already one present. I don't know if that has to do with anything...
/noob

I'm running OSX 10.4.11.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Bill_the_Cat, this is not a campaign to play, but a template for creating your own campaign. You cannot access it as a playable campaign in game, but can look at the files in the folder in order to get an outline of how to set up your own campaign if you were writing one.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Bill_the_Cat

Post by Bill_the_Cat »

Turuk wrote:Bill_the_Cat, this is not a campaign to play, but a template for creating your own campaign. You cannot access it as a playable campaign in game, but can look at the files in the folder in order to get an outline of how to set up your own campaign if you were writing one.
I'm aware of that. I was simply following the instructions in the BuildingCampaignTutorial. I assumed from what it says there that there is enough data in the file to run the campaign and load the one scenario included therein. Is this not the case?
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Bill_the_Cat wrote:Ok. I've downloaded the file and moved it into the library/preferences/wesnoth/userdata/data/campaigns directory, but it refuses to show up on the campaign selection list, and I have no idea why. The only thing is that I had to create the userdata file, since there wasn't already one present.
library/preferences/wesnoth/ is the userdata dir.
Bill_the_Cat

Post by Bill_the_Cat »

If I left click on the _main.cfg file for the campaign and open it with wesnoth I get the following message:
Picture 5.png
Even after I click "go on install" and the game loads I still don't have the campaign on the list.

Moving the data file outside of the userdata file makes no difference, either.

Sorry to be a pain in the ass. I'm keen to start learning to build scenarios, but the fact that I don't even know if I can test them is a bit frustrating.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Bill_the_Cat, the _main.cfg is not something that can be played, it's part of the group of files that make up the campaign folder.

They tend to look like this:
…/simple_campaign/_main.cfg -- main file of the campaign
…/simple_campaign/scenarios/ -- directory for campaign scenario files
…/simple_campaign/maps/ -- directory for of maps
…/simple_campaign/units/ -- directory for of WML for campaign-specific units
…/simple_campaign/images/ -- directory for portraits, unit animation sprites, etc
…/simple_campaign/sounds/ -- directory for sound effects and music, if any
…/simple_campaign/utils/ -- directory for campaign-specific macros
…/simple_campaign/_server.pbl -- PBL file top be used for server uploads

I think that you are under the impression that if you run the campaign, it will launch the scenario and teach you how to write one? I am a bit confused on what you are looking for.

If you open OSJ's files, like _main.cfg in something like notepad or textedit, it will outline what has to go where in order to make a scenario. The other files do the same, providing the necessary setup and structure for each file and the overall folder itself in order to be able to write/publish a campaign.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Bill_the_Cat

Post by Bill_the_Cat »

I'm not trying to play it. I'm just trying to get it to appear on my campaigns menu so that when I do build and add scenarios to it I can play and test them. I've opened the files in textedit and from what I saw it seemed like everything that the main program needs to recognize it as a valid campaign is there, and my question is why isn't it recognizing it and/or adding it to the campaign menu?
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

It says above that you created a userdata file? You do not have to.

This is where you should insert the A Simple Campaign folder.

library/preferences/wesnoth/data/campaigns

Just open up the campaign folder and put it in there. It should then appear in your campaign list.
Bill_the_Cat

Post by Bill_the_Cat »

Turuk wrote:It says above that you created a userdata file? You do not have to.

This is where you should insert the A Simple Campaign folder.

library/preferences/wesnoth/data/campaigns

Just open up the campaign folder and put it in there. It should then appear in your campaign list.
I tried that when it was suggested before and it still didn't work.