A New Order (ANO) campaign - version 1.1.6

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

szopen

Re: A New Order (ANO) campaign - version 1.1.6

Post by szopen »

WhiteElk wrote: I think the Scouting map problem may be a result of not interrogating the orc leader during the Scouting Near Barnon scenario.
Actually is an error with mispelling the name of the scenario (ano-13 instead of ano_13).
I will post new version of the campaign within next three days. I will add larger-resolution images, fix this one bug.
"Even when the Slav is gay the effort is often evident" -- P. R. RADOSAVLJEVICH
szopen

Post by szopen »

The version 1.1.100 is out. Muchos gracias for Malin Keshar.

* NEXT_SCENARIO ano-13 changed to ano_13 in 14b.cfg
* in ano-13, Ruvio won't advise to search for Reme if he is already saved, or if Gawen have failed to save Reme
* The images fixed for Orcish_Shaman etc (there should be units/orcs/ not just units) (Malin Keshar)
* Rob Roe fix (Malin Keshar)
* Oracle: ids for units should be ok now (pointed to by Malin Keshar)
* Better resolution transparent portraits for Gawen and Lady Lorin made from original

Because I haven't done anything on Wesnoth for at least three or four years, there is a possibility I have destroyed something. Please download, check whether it works, comment.
Maju

Post by Maju »

It seems you have broken something. :(

I deleted the former ANO version and downloaded the new one. When I tried to play since the beginning I got first a lengthy error message that reads:
The following add-ons had errors and could not be loaded:
/home/luis/wesnoth1.8/data/add-ons/A_New_Order/_main.cfg
ERROR DETAILS:
Missing closing tag for tag message at core/macros/interface-utils.cfg included from core/_main.cfg:6 included from _main.cfg:5 included from ̃ add-ons/A_New_Order/scenarios/ano-14a.cfg:341 included from ̃ add-ons/A_New_Order/_main.cfg:66, value " at core/macros/interface/utils.cfg:15 included from core/_main.cfg:5 included from ̃ add-ons/A_New_Order/macros/messages.cfg:75 included from ̃ add-ons/A_New_Order/_main.cfg: 62 included from ̃ add-ons/A_New_Order/ano-14a.cfg:341 included from ̃ add-ons/A_New_Order/_main.cfg:66
Sorry about the tildes but I really have difficult to type them with my keyboard. All the text is hand-copied so it may include other accidental errors.

Then, if I try again, I only get the following error:
ERROR:
unknown scenario '01_breaking_the_circle'
This is in Ubuntu 10 but I doubt it matters much.

Edit: I tried reinstalling but same thing. Thanks anyhow.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Maju wrote:Then, if I try again, I only get the following error:
It sounds like Wesnoth is using something from cache. There is a folder called "cache", in the same directory as your "saves" folder. Delete the contents of "cache", maybe restart (don't remember), and it should go back to the lengthy error message.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
Maju

Post by Maju »

Nah, tried that and I get the same results: the first long error and then the second short error if I try again. The first long error does not even close normally (with "ok") and I have to close Wesnoth completely before I can proceed further.
szopen

Post by szopen »

Ok, I will look into this problem within two hours, and I hope I will re-upload the ANO once again today without the error. "It worked for me" :D
szopen

Post by szopen »

Uff it took me much longer than it should... There were two additional files from some older versions of ANO: just remove ano-15a.cfg and ano-25.cfg and it should work just fine.

The version without those two files is already on the server.
Maju

Post by Maju »

Thanks a lot Szopen. I can start now. I will probably re-play the whole campaign later in the weekend and tell you about. Good job. 8)

Edit: I'm testing right now and everything is fine.

However I just did something unexpected by the game design: killing the northern commander in scenario 3 (or is it 4).

It says something about sending an email with replay but the address is difficult to discern. I really think I could win the battle at normal level, as long as I keep Lorin and Reme fighting (Lorin specially is a killing machine). The only thing that can impede me to do that is turn limits (20 - I'm now in turn 10), what means I must remove Lorin, Reme and some best soldiers before turn 16 (and from battle maybe by turn 13 or so).

It's I think the third or fourth time I play this scenario in my life (only once last year) and I'm playing at normal difficulty level but I decided to destroy the northern garrison because I tought Lorin (specially) and Reme needed some training before going on their own, and also because it may be easier for Gawen to resist for longer if that army is destroyed.

But what I found is that by destroying that army and presenting some dynamic resistance elsewhere, I have also destroyed the green army and only the purple one remains some threat. With cavalry or a few more turns I could win this battle, I'm pretty sure now.

I didn't see it so easy in the past however. I have at least once sent Lorin and Reme against the north but moved them out once they leveled up, but sustaining the attack, specially on daylight may be very rewarding.

So you know. Cheers.
Roland de Ronceveaux

Post by Roland de Ronceveaux »

I played this campaign a long time ago (several years, I think...) and for me it is one of the most underrated campaigns in Wesnoth. The storyline is very interesting and there were many technical inovations that were later incorporated in other campaigns (the campaign map for exemple). Thank you Szopen for maintaining it.

Maju wrote:It says something about sending an email with replay but the address is difficult to discern...
I remember playing this scenario and cheating like hell (save/reload) to see if I could 'beat it'. From memory, everytime I killed a leader a message appeared that told me that I was not supposed to have been able to do that, and that if I had succeeded it meant that the scenario was too easy and could I send a message to the author (the adress was included) so that he could fix it? :)

After I killed the three leaders, the game told me that it was impossible and that I had cheated! :D

Overall, a great campaign. I especially liked the point rating system at the very end of the game, which defined how the rest of your rule went.

Cheers,

Roland
szopen

Post by szopen »

Well, when I was testing the game, I got several emails saying that players won Battle of Barnon. I made several fixes to ensure that player's victory is impossible, but I tried not to overdo.. Seems that the scenario will need rebalancing once again. I guess maybe making southern players stronger (much, much stronger)?
Maju

Post by Maju »

szopen wrote:Well, when I was testing the game, I got several emails saying that players won Battle of Barnon. I made several fixes to ensure that player's victory is impossible, but I tried not to overdo.. Seems that the scenario will need rebalancing once again. I guess maybe making southern players stronger (much, much stronger)?
I think it is more the weakness of the northern player itself: it has lv. 1/0 troops mostly (or only) and most are raiders (chaotic), what allows you to choose the fight at day. Also if it's not the first time you try, you know it's important to level at the beginning, specially Lorin, and there is no other opportunity than that one.

If you are lucky in the second scenario you can end up fast and get more than 200 gold for the battle. Also being all infantry, it takes a while before the southern armies reach the city, more till they can break in (if they can). The blue army's villages are also a nice income (lots of villages in the north).

It may be difficult for a first timer (I did not make it till now, even if I half-tried before) but it can be done if you send your elite there and then basically defend with plenty of regulars at the walls (Akladians clearly fight best at fortifications, right?).

What is kind of frustrating is that when it looks like you could win the battle (after that), turns run out and without further explanation it's declared that you've lost. There should be an increase of enemy troops or several, as time passes, making it evident that all resistance is useless - or something. A history twist that is not that awkward, you know.

So far haven't played much farther in this version. Just the nightmarish orcish scenario which is very difficult when they recruit assassins en masse. Somewhat easier when they pick up archers instead but still quite complicated because of the scarcity of villages where to heal. You have to get there with experienced troops and there is no way of leveling except in Barnon battle.

After that, or rather after Lorin's "wars", which are the hardest of all, I don't find the rest too difficult except for the interrogations, because you reach there with improved troops (and can't remember the final part).

As said by others, I also think it's a very nice campaign. Different, with a good story that makes the experience more interesting, and strategically I think it is at least as good as any other I have played, probably better than many.
TheGreatRings

Post by TheGreatRings »

I had played this campaign up to "Scouting Near Barnon", and stopped their due to a malfunction which I won't bother mentioning since it seems to have been fixed now. Only this time, when I uploaded my last save "Scouting Near Barnon replay", I got this message: "Error while playing the game: game_error: unknown unit type: Lord Hagarthen"

Edit: the scenario starts now, but when I click on my units on my turn, I can't move them, and it won't let me recruit or recall units.
"One man alone cannot fight the future"-
The X-files

"Send these foul beasts into the abyss"-Gandalf
szopen

Post by szopen »

The Great Rings wrote:I had played this campaign up to "Scouting Near Barnon", and stopped their due to a malfunction which I won't bother mentioning since it seems to have been fixed now. Only this time, when I uploaded my last save "Scouting Near Barnon replay", I got this message: "Error while playing the game: game_error: unknown unit type: Lord Hagarthen"

Edit: the scenario starts now, but when I click on my units on my turn, I can't move them, and it won't let me recruit or recall units.
Could you please send me the savegame? I send you my email in private message
Tron91

Post by Tron91 »

Is this forum topic still active? If so, whats the status?
szopen

Post by szopen »

Hi, sorry for the very long delay. I've already replied you in private email, but for the all others reading this --- I think I may say that you may expect something within two months.