Tying it all together

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Zachron

Re: Tying it all together

Post by Zachron »

markm wrote:So far I have not found a whole lot of evidence indicating that Wesnoth is not actually the western portion of the continent of Eos, a region of D'ydii ...
The continent isn't called Eos, and the world is called Irya or Irdya, not D'ydii.

Play the following campaigns:
The Rise of Wesnoth
The South Guard
Northern Rebirth
Son of the Black Eye
Eastern Invasion

The Geographical references of these campaigns definitively place Wesnoth on the Western Coast of the Great Continent. The rest of the continents remain a mystery to most of the peoples of the Great Continent. Futhermore other campaigns such as Under the Burning Suns, and Invasion from the Uknown, provide informations about the world and it's place in the cosmos.

Furthermore, I say this only as someone who values your opinion and is incredibly impressed by the thoughts and creativity you have brought to the table here at Wesnoth...

WESNOTH IS IN IT'S OWN DAMN UNIVERSE!!! It's fine that you want to create a connection to your nice expansive GNUniverse, but you don't have to put Wesnoth IN your GNUniverse in order to connect Wesnoth TO your GNUniverse. Different universes can have their own separate cosmologies, and can interconnect on a "portal" basis. Besides, putting D'ydii in the same universe as Irdya would create contradictions with the Thunderstone setting.

Alternate ways of connection:
Try making Wesnoth a popular Board Game/Novel in the world of D'ydii. Make some references to the story from which you derrived D'ydii in a Wesnoth Campaign, as if it's a not too uncommon story.

Have plenty of alternate and discombobulated timelines... they're always fun, and they allow for the outlandish things you can never put in mainline anywhere.

An intagible connection can have more versatility than a tangible one. You don't have to explain too much, and you aren't limited explicitly to what you can fit into the realm of "reality..." :lol2:
Project Battlescar: An rpg engine of my own design.
http://battlescar.wikispaces.com/
markm

Post by markm »

Thanks for the feedback! When I mentioned very little evidence I was thinking specifically of the name of the world in the language used in Wesnoth, because scholars on D'ydii would find it a weird exception to what they thought they'd discovered about D'ydii languages, to wit that in all languages they know of the word for world (or for jungle in the case of certain jungle tribes to whom world and jungle are the same word) is always some variant of D'n'd, DD, Deedee, d'ydii etc etc etc. So those complacent scholars would likely be pleased and vindicated to learn that Wesnoth is a different world. :) :lol:

D'ydii achieved references to Sol III via a high school student from Halifax NS who suddenly appeared in D'ydii and grew up to be the wizard Zaladar, but as Zaladar is thought to be dead he isn't likely to be able to provide them with updated tales from Sol III, such as tales about Wesnoth.

I did recently come across more info about the space age of Wesnoth. Basically where D'ydii is at is the probably regularly recurring potential for technology to become popular instead of magick. I have looked at Thunderstone and eagerly await its further development as doubtless it will feature many useful things.

I also have a partially done novel based in a fictional Sol III very similar to ours save that it has not yet been revealed whether the characters who are looking at manifestations such as the "Primeval" television show wondering what it might be an omen of, or taking it as possibly true, are crazy. (They believe that Piers Anthony might be right about an Incarnation's television 'speaking', and even correlate it to a specific stage in the Tree-of-Life based initiatory systems... :roll: :shock: :twisted: :lol2:)

-MarkM-
Developing Between the Worlds campaign portmanteau.
Have you eaten today?
Armageddon

Post by Armageddon »

Zachron wrote:The continent isn't called Eos, and the world is called Irya or Irdya, not D'ydii.
Waaaait... The world has a name? And the continent isn't called Wesnoth? Either we're not on the same page or there's some BIG details that I didn't know about the world of Wesnoth. :augh:

Or are you still talking about the alternate universe in which these "tourists" reside?
Writer, editor, and maintainer of The Rebirth of Magic (Incomplete, please support by contributing to the thread or simply downloading from the campaign server.)

Help me out by following this link and completing an offer.
Jozrael

Post by Jozrael »

Nope, he's talking about the real one.

Markm's just speaking gibberish.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Armageddon wrote:Waaaait... The world has a name? And the continent isn't called Wesnoth? Either we're not on the same page or there's some BIG details that I didn't know about the world of Wesnoth. :augh:
The continent has no official name, AFAIK; "the Great Continent" works, as does "Wesnoth", though technically Wesnoth is just the name of the country.

The world Wesnoth is in (I presume this refers to the planet only, thought it might mean the entire universe - I guess this would make a difference for Thunderstone, but it seems irrelevant for most purposes) is semi-officially called Irdya, though this name doesn't AFAIK get any screen-time in the actual game and not a whole lot of people know about it.

/turin, who can't resist imparting a small amount of WoW-related wisdom even though he is officially retired (well, I don't leave till Wednesday so I might still be around a bit for the next few days)
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Zachron

Post by Zachron »

I mentioned the "alternate universe" hypothetically, but I also do need to clarify, simply for the sake of what I've said already.

The continent is called "The Great Continent," some have implied that it's name might be Gaia, but not official name has been declared.

While the name of the continent is not officially declared, it is most decidedly not called Wesnoth. Wesnoth is more accurately the name of a region on the western coast of the great continent, named for north-western dwelling humans who came forth to settle the lands of the great continent. The Kindom of Wesnoth, at it's height, controlled roughly 1/3 of the Western Coast of the continent, and it's eastern boarder extened less than half-way across the continent. Thus the Kingdom of Wesnoth never consisted of more than somewhere between 1/9 and 1/6 of the Great Continent's landmass. Still, that's larger than any other nation would ever get. Human settlement to the South of Wesnoth consists of small breakaway kingdoms, that were usually rather short lived, frequently breaking off from and being re-annexed by Wesnoth. To the North are more or less independant Earldoms, who compete with Elves, Knalgans, and Northern Orcs. The while none of these small kingdoms would ever approach the sheer size of Wesnoth, their combined size, resources, and populations would come to exceed that of Wesnoth(at it's contemporary state, if not it's height) during the age of the Northern Alliance. In this period, Wesnoth came to referr to the Human settled lands south of the Northlands.

While an official name for the world has not been set, an unofficial name has been standardized, among the few campaigns that have bothered, as Irya or Irdya(the two are used interchangably).

The name of the sun in the center of the system of Sela. (The name the elves have fore it anyway) The name of the second sun is Naia. Naia was lifted into the skies above the world to create milder winters and longer growing seasons, It's light also repelled undead until it's powers were corrupted. Naia is not a true star, more it's a luminescent second moon, that rapidly orbits around the world of Irdya.

Campaigns to look at for this:
Heir to the Throne
The Rise of Wesnoth
Northern Rebirth
Son of the Black Eye
Under the Burning Suns

Non-Mainline material to look at:
Invasion from the Unkown
Thunderstone development.
Mica

Post by Mica »

Actually, an official name for the world pretty much has been set, ESR came up with the name, and it was generally agreed upon by many people (including Mist) - the name is Irdya. It's on the Geography and History of Wesnoth pages now, so I'm assuming it's "official".
Mica says one who cheats, cheats himself.

You are an Elvish Shyde - Beautiful, natural, and helpful, though sometimes under-appreciated.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

What people have said above, plus...

Irdya was a random name I came up with for Invasion from the Unknown, to give the planet on which Wesnoth *was* located (Wesnoth = the human's main kingdom; Great Continent: continent where Wesnoth is) a name; it *was* because the fall of the third sun (named Gaia in IftU) caused a large cataclysm which destroyed most of the lands (this according to mainline UtBS).

The name 'Irdya' was later approved by Eric S. Raymond and Aethaeryn for Thunderstone Era's setting. Which fits perfectly since IftU is the entrance point to this part of the history. Mist/cycholka may or may not have approved Irdya as a name for the planet, I don't know.

Fun fact: according to ESR, 'Irdya' means 'dirt' in some language I don't know of.

I haven't checked the pages Mica mentioned, but since ESR and me approved this name in some way, and we are mainline developers, it could be considered official. ;)
Last edited by Iris on August 23rd, 2008, 10:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: More info
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Zachron

Post by Zachron »

I googled Irdya, it's Chadic. (As in Chad)