Devlings! - A Campaign

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

DDR

Devlings! - A Campaign

Post by DDR »

Devlings! is a campaign about devlings. It has 6 or 7 scenarios, and a mediocre plot. It is finished, but I plan to polish it in the next little while.

In the next few days, I plan to release on the stable server, also.

Comments or criticism?

[update!]
Now released for stable, as well.
Last edited by DDR on May 11th, 2008, 7:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
tsr

Re: Devlings! - Released for Development Version

Post by tsr »

Eh, so far it's very buggy, almost unplayable...

In the first scenario the enemies don't recruit.

In the second scenario I can't recall (20080509 12:19:30 error engine: cannot recall a unit for side 1, which has no recall list!)

Back to the drawing board for you! :)

Other than that it looks promising, I love the devlings ;)

/tsr
idanwin

Post by idanwin »

On which Wesnoth version?
~Idanwin
Life is short, I can make it even shorter...
Gallery ~ Contrib:Idanwin (21)
nataS

Post by nataS »

It's only on the 1.5.0 (development branch) addon server currently. One thing that puzzles me is that it states "Era of Myths, Delta 1" required, while this era is not available on the 1.5.0 addon server. Because of that the campaign instantly errors on "unknown unit type".
DDR

Post by DDR »

tsr wrote:Eh, so far it's very buggy, almost unplayable...

In the first scenario the enemies don't recruit.

In the second scenario I can't recall (20080509 12:19:30 error engine: cannot recall a unit for side 1, which has no recall list!)

/tsr
Are you using the official delta 1 version of the Era of Myths, tsr? (it works for me, so, if you are, I would like to resolve this.)

Yes, something is odd in the recall list. However, I have no idea what it is, as I literally have no code that does does anything to the recall list, other than ending the scenario. Also, you get an error message? I could not call up the dialogue at all, and it gave me no error message.

:augh:

idanwin:
DDR wrote:In the next few days, I plan to release on the stable server, also.
The development server.

nataS: Yes, that is a little problem. I think you can download the delta 1 of the EoM from the web interface... :(

Thanks for your feedback. :)
DDR

Re: Devlings! - A Campaign

Post by DDR »

I have been testing my campaign... it seems to have three major bugs I cannot locate. The first is a tendency, on 1.4.1, to load the fifth scenario instead of the first. I have checked the IDs, names, etc., and I cannot find any duplication. The second bug is that occasionally I loose the default era, and hence get an error like "cannot find unit 'dwarvish thundergaurd'". However, when I reinstall wesnoth, add my campaign and the era of myths, it works again. My third problem is that, on the 1.5.0 version, I have no recall list. My units do not transfer between scenarios, like in 1.4.1. I have not changed any recall stuff in the scenario code... does 1.5.0 work differently?
:augh:

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Last edited by DDR on May 12th, 2008, 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

1.5.x is NOT compatible with 1.4.x, a good number of things have been changed.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

Errr DDR, Myths is on Delta 3 at the moment and things have been changed for the devlings since Delta 1, in general they were nerfs.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
DDR

Post by DDR »

I downloaded the last version from the server, yesterday. In info.cfg...

Code: Select all

[info]
version="Delta 1"
uploads="8"
[/info]
That is where I got the version number. :)

I will change it. Thanks.

Oh, I uploaded it to 1.5.0, and everything works perfectly except the recall list. :)
michchar

Post by michchar »

I just finished Devlings! today and ill say that its has potential. it was pretty fun, playing around with devlings, but maybe you can make some special devling units, to make the style interesting. you might also want to make at least one faction that has pity for the devlings and joins them/helps them out
thanks
DDR

Post by DDR »

Thanks for the feedback, michchar.
I like the idea. I wonder, who... :hmm:
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

Well lets see,

not windsong
not celestials
probably not therians
probably not vampires
probably not elementals
probably not warg
probably not ordianary humans

The problem with this is that devlings pretty much live to torment others, and as such, few people have any sympathy for them.

Special devling units would be a good idea for the campain (and some of them may be included in mainline if they would be good for it)
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
michchar

Post by michchar »

maybe some crazy people...wat about orcs, UD or outlaws? they kinda live to torment others too (not as much as devlings, though)
Devling Fan

Post by Devling Fan »

I just played through most (maybe) of it. Heres my feedback:

Good things:
- Well written
- Good level design
-IT'S A DEVLING CAMPAIGN! =D

Bad Things:
- Characters call each other by name even if never introduced to each other.
- level design makes one feel (sometimes rightfully so) like one can just use leader to win alone.
- TOO well written; The Devling don't feel like Devling to me when they talk. They sound like Dark Elves or something. They are supposed to be vulgar and stupid, not witty and polite.
- When you take bases your flags are green, not red. This is confusing especially since one of your enemies is always green.
- On second level the enemy leader is ridiculously easy to kill, what with her simply charging at you with a 1-1 dummy attack.

I only got to the shipyard level but this is my feedback so far. Sorry if it seems so negative, but I really want to give you the most information possible on how to make this as good as I know you can make it. :)

Good work so far and good luck.
DDR

Post by DDR »

michchar: Some really desperate crazy people, I suppose... ;) You would have to be desperate to put up with such racist meglomanical people as allies.

Devling Fan: Thanks for the great feedback! :D
I will read back through all the dialogue... heck, I think I will have to redo most of it. Which levels can you win with just a leader? (and, are all leaders recruiting units? If not, something is wrong.) As to the flag thing, I cannot figure out the cause of the colour change, but I will keep my eye on it... :evil: I will fix the suicidal elvish lady.