Campaign: Love To Death

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Ratha Shadar

Re: Campaign: Love To Death

Post by Ratha Shadar »

Geos wrote:Well, lovely feedback, that is for sure.
Ratha, your language feedback is very good. I thank you for it. Makes me feel a little bad so much effort from you. I promise I will help you. By the way, what's up with Revolution? I have been checking, and nothing new!
It's not much extra work. I'm something of a linguiphile personally, so I'm really liking it. As for Revolution, I haven't stopped work on it. Scenario five is just taking a while to get coded (the coding is particularly complex). I've been taking the time to continue the writing of the story behind it, including the addition of some new plot twists, and a bit of drawing for character portraits (as well as rounding out the Skeleton Fighter advancement tree and twisting it to my original concept).

By the way, I chose to support her master. It was a tough choice, and that makes me like it more than those easy choices from most other campaigns. I really didn't want to have to choose either, but eventually I chose to side with her master, and spent the rest of the scenario trying to balance out the desctruction their armies did on eachother.

Anyways, here's my corrections for scenario 2:

INTRO:
Infested with all types of creatures, few have been the humans that have crossed these cursed lands.
Infested with all types of creatures, (few have been/small in number were) the humans that have crossed (these/those) cursed lands.
FIRST OBJECTIVES LIST:
Defeat Lizard Chiefs until you find out if it was them to rais deads.
Defeat Lizard Chiefs until you find out if it was them (to raise/who raised) the (dead/undead).
Turn run out
Turns run out
SIDE 2 AI DESCRIPTION:
Agression=0
Aggression=0
START:
We are here. Let's find out if these lizards are the ones to raise the dead
We are here. Let's find out if these lizards are the ones (to raise/who raised) the dead.
Be careful, MyLady,the swamps are a dangerous maze of canals. Evil lies here, and it has been long since last time the men from Wesnoth step in these place.
Be careful, MyLady, the swamps are a dangerous maze of canals. Evil lies here, and it has been long since last time the men from Wesnoth stepped in (these places/this place).
Do not worry, my dear servant, I have with me a map from my master Ektalion that will help us find our way in this place
Do not worry, my dear servant, I have with me a map from my master Ektalion that will help us find our way in this place.
I trust you, MyLady, but take still care. Keep the men grouped. And remember, once we are in the swamps, no more help from Karenin we may expect.
I trust you, MyLady, but (take still care./still, take care./take care still!) Keep the men grouped. And remember, once we are in the swamps, no more help from Karenin (we may expect/may we expect/should we expect/should be expected).
MOVE TO TEMPLE EVENT:
"What is this place. Some kind of evil evil temple it must have been. Horrid ceremonies have for sure been performed here".
"What is this place? Some kind of (very/evil) evil temple it must have been. (Horrid ceremonies have for sure been performed here./Horrid ceremonies have been performed here for sure.)"
I left the quotation marks from the outside of the statement to show that the period you ended the sentence with had landed outside the quotation marks. Because of that it doesn't show up in the scenario.

ATTACK KISH'TAH EVENT:
Let me finish him. I will interrogate this horror of nature and we will find out where the undeads are coming from.
Let me finish him. I will interrogate this horror of nature and we will find out where the (dead/undead) are coming from.
ALEVA KILLS TAKESH EVENT:
Speak, you beast, Why have you been raising deads in our beloved Karenin.
Speak, you beast(. Why/, why) have you been raising (dead/undead/the dead/the undead) in our beloved Karenin?
Fool you shall believe I am if you want to make me believe such idiocy. I know you worship Tanas, the evil goddess.
Fool you shall believe I am if you want to make me believe such idiocy. I know you worship Tanas, the evil goddess(./!)
SECOND OBJECTIVES:
Heroic: Clean the swamps from saurians
Heroic: (Clean the swamps of (saurians/the saurians)/Free the swamps from (saurians/the saurians))
ALEVA KILLS KISH'TAH EVENT:
Speak, you beast, Why have you been raising deads in our beloved Karenin.
Speak, you beast(. Why/, why) have you been raising (dead/undead/the dead/the undead) in our beloved Karenin?
You know, you know who you worship, beast, and she is the goddess of evil.
You know! You know who you worship, beast, and she is the goddess of evil.
You will be a menace for Karenin, you beast. Die!!
You will be a menace to Karenin, you beast. Die!!
THIRD OBJECTIVES:
Heroic: Clean the swamps from saurians
Heroic: (Clean the swamps of (saurians/the saurians)/Free the swamps from (saurians/the saurians))
MOVE TO 19,15 EVENT:
What is this place. Seems that a human inhabits this place.
What is this place? (Seems/It seems) that a human inhabits this place.
There must be some kind of mage. Look at the map, Prodos... Will that be a name?
(There/It) must be some kind of mage. Look at the map, Prodos... (Will that be/Is that) a name?
Do not judge what you ignore, my dear. Magic arts require often to explore the obscure.
Do not judge what you (ignore/do not understand), my dear. Magic arts (often require one to explore the obscure./often require exploration of the obscure.)
TURNS OUT EVENT:
Thid id it, Karos, we couldn't find out what was going on in here.
This is it, Karos, we couldn't find out what was going on in here.
Well, that's my editting for scenario two. Oh, and just as a note (you asked about difficulties) I'm playing on easy, and the difficulty is mostly what I'd expect... except that you might want to increase the time limit on scenario 1 (at least on easy mode). Anyways, Good luck.
Stealing other peoples signatures since 1904 CE.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Hi,

I downloaded the campaign and looked at some of the files (I haven't had a chance to play it though). It looks like you have some workfiles in the images folder (.gif & .svg for example), does the campaign directly use those or can you remove them?

As you say, the music is the reason for the big file size. Can you remove vengfeul2.ogg? Whatever difference that has from vengeful.ogg is fairly subtle for 8 MB.
nataS

Post by nataS »

-stf- wrote:When I am trying to download this campaign from campaigns server, i allways get message remote host disconnected after the size is shown (about 45MB). All other addons I can download without any problem. Can you post it somewhere (not rapidshare) so it can be downloaded manually from browser?
http://www.wikifortio.com/849163/Love_To_Death.zip

Perhaps you can spread the 35MB of music via a separated package on the forum? Even if the owner of the server has no problem with it, not all wesnoth players have high speed connections.

Also I found a 2.2 MB image /maps/All_Karenin.png
Saved with lower resolution as PNG-8 with 8 colors, making it 16 times smaller without significant observable quality lose.
All_Karenin.png
Some of the /images/Story/ files can also be reduced in size by saving them in lower resolution as optimized PNG-8 files.
Last edited by nataS on May 9th, 2008, 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Geos

Post by Geos »

mmm
Seems that I made a stupid mistake and updated the working directory instead of the release directory.
Argh

Ok, tonight I fill that ASAP.
That's ridiculous, dragons have no windows...
Geos

Post by Geos »

Ok, I applied the changes of Ratha (thank you), and changed the portrait of Aleva.
Did quite a lot of changes in the organization of it all.
Now you can download the campaign without the music, and the music pack is called LTD_Music. You have (if you want) to download it an copy in the /music folder of the campaign folder.
I hope this way the campaign will be more accesible, although I would enourage to download it all and play with the music if possible. It is just not the same.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

stderr wrote:20080509 16:13:53 error config: Invalid alignment found for DasoiBerseker: 'caothic'
20080509 16:13:53 error config: Invalid alignment found for DasoiWoodMaster: 'caothic'
You meant "chaotic". Only my gods know what horrible destiny I'd suffer if I didn't hack the unit files before playing. :P
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Geos

Post by Geos »

Ooops.

And how come that didn't come up before? I'm changing it right now.

Thank you.
nataS

Post by nataS »

You're package is now a 4000 KB one, seems acceptable. However, the largest part (2.48 MB) comes from the /images/Maps/ and /images/Story/ folder. They are all blurry images in style, so can be saves as low quality jpeg without a noticeable difference in quality. After doing this I ended up with the folders being only 550 KB together in size. Then there is All_Karenin.jpg that can be 50 KB instead of 380 KB. And you end up with a 1.6 MB addon size instead of 3.9 MB.

Here are the images: http://www.wikifortio.com/876299/ltd-images.zip

Hope this helps you. I would personally include all the other files in the music package. Saving people from having to copy it to the correct directory. A large part probably is clueless on how/where to do it. And another 1.6 MB on a 29.6 MB file seems managable. You could call it Love to Death + Music or something.

I'm going to play your campaign now, more feedback later ;)

First mission feedback (arch mage difficulty): I had a hard time first trying to fight my way through the farmlands from the castle. A number of times I failed with time running out, having to fight the boss during bad time of day. Than I used the river ford passage and went to the graveyard through the hills, killing the necrophage and completing at turn 9/12. Not sure if this route is intentional, doing it the normal way (via the castle) seems impossible in only 12 turns.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Also, I recommend running utils/wesnoth-pngcrush (known as the wesnoth-optipng script in 1.5) on your campaign's dir for reducing PNG image sizes (no quality loss at all). You just need to have Ruby interpreter (for the 1.4 script) or Bash (1.5) along with OptiPNG program to run it.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Geos

Post by Geos »

Hope this helps you
Thank you very much for your work. I will use it, although maybe for next release I may change all the images, who knows.

Thank you all for the efforts. I am done with the new unit for Aleva, and now I'm for coding new scenarios, but it will take a little bit, because next week I have peope visiting. I will try to post a couple scenarios before friday.

See you.
roland37

Post by roland37 »

i tried to to download it from the add-ons server but at aprox 700 Kb it crashes (always) what should i do?
For Knalga!
For peace!
For fun!
daniel.santos

Post by daniel.santos »

Very fun campaign and very cool story line! As others posted, I got the "Unknown scenario: 'SearchProdos'" error message, but I enjoyed it VERY much. I particularly found the 3 way battle fun because there are a lot of strategic choke points where you can position your units on high defense cells and force the attacker to attack from a bad place. Anyway, I'll be glad to see when it's finished!

Good work!
delirium

Post by delirium »

Huh. Interesting. Daniel? Are you the same developer for GAE?
dthurston

Run through the mountains end condition

Post by dthurston »

At the end of "Run through the Mountains", I was surprised to lose, despite having all characters in the northern forest. Looking at the WML, I'm not sure at all why that happened.

Update: Sorry, my save file seems to have been deleted. I just waited for turns to end.
Last edited by dthurston on May 26th, 2008, 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Geos

Post by Geos »

Yes please, I will check it.
Did you reach the signpost? or just waited for turns to run over?