The Griffoon Lads (updates on first page V. 0.9.2.2 out now!

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

db0

Post by db0 »

gotrek I played your campaign (first 5 scenarios)and although different than the rest, you may need to work on it to make it a bit more interesting.

However I had an idea while I was working to it to make it stand out from the rest. How about having your recruits be chosen randomly from a pool of recruits which constantly changes. This way you won't always have a choice for a thief, spearman and archer.

I'm going to post the code in the WML workshop in a bit but for now here the modified 1st scenario and the util file you will need to use. Let me know if you like it.

PS: I also shortened your Tavern Closing code
Attachments
01_Swamps.cfg
Replace your first scenario with this or just copy paste the prestart event and the recruit events in your current scenario
(9.02 KiB) Downloaded 177 times
gl_utils.cfg
Chuck this in your utils folder (and don't forget to modify your _main.cfg file accordingly ( {@campaigns/Griffoon_Lads/utils/gl_utils.cfg} ) ;)
(2.03 KiB) Downloaded 176 times
gotrek860

Post by gotrek860 »

Do my eyes betray me? someone actually answering me.... Alleluia. It is sunday, that must be why. I will take a look straight away.
You like gold? you don't care about Kings or wizards? You hate elves? then be a Griffoon Lad
db0

Post by db0 »

Btw, here's how I finished the fifth scenario ;)
Attachments
Screenshot_00000.jpg
Screenshot_00000.jpg (169.61 KiB) Viewed 3478 times
gotrek860

Post by gotrek860 »

Were you playing on normal?

Geez, that's what I call big riot...

I tried your changes but noticed no difference, I played 10 turns and the recruitment list did not change.
I looked at the WML and I'm impressed, it's a brilliant idea, changing the recruitment list does give that:"who ever is in the tavern" feel..
Are you sure you don't want to get into the Griffoon Lads?
You like gold? you don't care about Kings or wizards? You hate elves? then be a Griffoon Lad
db0

Post by db0 »

gotrek860 wrote:Were you playing on normal?

Geez, that's what I call big riot...
Easy but I didn't protect my entrances very well.

I tried your changes but noticed no difference, I played 10 turns and the recruitment list did not change.
That is strange. Did you modify your _main.cfg to load the gl_units.cfg? It works for me...
gotrek860

Post by gotrek860 »

Got it working, it's really really good.
Brilliant idea in fact.
It really adds something, but I don't know if I'll manage it through out. the scenarios.
But with the gl_utils.cfg how do change the number of turns before the tavern closes?

I'll have to havve a good look into how it's done.
db0

Post by db0 »

As per the hint I was given in the WML Workshop I modified the campaign and scenario wml so that it won't create a bug.

I also fixed a part in the fl_units.cfg which I must have forgot to change.

You should use these newer version.

Updating your scenarios shoudn't take more than a few minutes per scenario (if you're going to use the same recruit list I created for each).

Just copy-paste the two events at the start of each scenario and you're done :)

In order to set the tavern close time just use {TAVERN_CLOSE # # #}
Where # # # is the turn nr you want to close it at for Easy, Medium and Hard respectively
Attachments
gl_utils.cfg
(2.05 KiB) Downloaded 203 times
01_Swamps.cfg
(9.09 KiB) Downloaded 190 times
gotrek860

Post by gotrek860 »

Great stuff!! Thanks a lot for your interest and help!
have you seen any thing else you'd think I should improve?
gotrek860

Post by gotrek860 »

My work so far.
Getting this randomizer to work on most scenarios (some don't use the tavern system)

Also getting some units working to add to the experience.

SO no new version out in the coming days, the one on the server works fine, so anyone downloading it can play it without problem.

I still do not think I'll be expanding chapter1 , but will rather concentrate on a second chapter that will follow directly the first.

I will also hadd my short fanfic into the campaign through the [story] which will make it skippable. gotta work on that...so quite a bit of work to go.
db0

Post by db0 »

Another tip. Add a label to the tavern to make it stand out.

Btw, when is the new version coming? I want to see the new units :)
gotrek860

Post by gotrek860 »

Soon, it's actually easier than I'd thought...
Yes the label is a good idea, I wanted to do it , but keep forgetting it.
gotrek860

Post by gotrek860 »

So far I have three new units.

The fisher goblin ( from imperial era goblin) which becomes a shipmate and then a Seadog.

The Orcish cutthroat (imperial era frankenstein) which is a lower type of grunt. It evolves into a cuththroat-thug( bad name I know...) who is a bit stronger and bacstabs. and finally goes to be a Fearless. which is an orc who is used to live with human outlaws.

The Orcish Mariner (fanrkenstein sailor) which only fights with a sword but is good in swamps. The orcish Flibustier, a better level mariner and it turns into a flibustier boss, which has leadership (but only level2) .

I will probably add some more as it goes.
db0

Post by db0 »

A human swashbuckler probably belongs somewhere in there :)
gotrek860

Post by gotrek860 »

I found some sprites for that in the wiki's library but it's hardwork. three orcs isn't bad for now...

VERSION 0.9 is currently on the server.

You can check out the new unit through the debug short cut if your lazy...
I haven't set the randomizer for all missions, so it works up to mission 6 at the moment.
db0

Post by db0 »

Gotrek, you can now use the new and improved randomizer which should cut down on the effort your need to do in the future. You will need to modify the prestart table names but then you can do away with the if statements. Just replace the recruit event with this macro {CHANGE_RECRUITED_TYPE_EVENT 1}

Enjoy