Imperial Era Campaign - Epic of Vaniyera

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

flatrat

Re: Imperial Era Campaign - Epic of Vaniyera

Post by flatrat »

Turuk wrote:Moved the bug posts to where they would be pertinent.
Thanks. I did not realize that I should add it to this thread. That would be the "no meta-threads" prohibition from the posting guildlines.

Also, I now realize that it has been covered already. Sorry for the repetition.

Cheers
flatrat
Duo-dimensionally yours,
flatrat
Chefu

Post by Chefu »

Campaign ported over to Wesnoth 1.8 - Please leave your feedback below or over at the Orbivm forums: http://www.exong.net/orbivm/forum/index.php

Thanks,
Chefu
Current maintainer of the Orbivm project (as of February 2011)
Orbivm Forums
shadowblack

Post by shadowblack »

I started playing this campaign earlier today and so far it is relatively easy (as expected of a Novice level campaign). However I encountered a game-breaking bug that does not allow me to complete it: In the scenario "Remnants of the Past" I am supposed to move Faolan to some location. However I have no unit called Faolan, and my main character is NOT a leader (he's unable to recruit), so as soon as I end my first turn I lose and go back to the main menu. I have attached my start-of-scenario save and the first turn autosave.

I also have a question about the Light Infantryman unit in the previous scenario: He has 0% defense on ALL terrain, and also has no movement on any type of terrain. This is a bug, right? I have attached my first turn autosave from that scenario too.

P.S.: This may not be the right place to say this, but units from the Imperial Era have no movement cost on Coastal Reef, so they can't move on such terrain at all.
Attachments
EoV-Just_in_Time-Автоматично_запазване1.gz
(18.99 KiB) Downloaded 276 times
EoV-Remnants_of_the_Past-Автоматично_запазване1.gz
(16.28 KiB) Downloaded 278 times
EoV-Remnants_of_the_Past.gz
(6.23 KiB) Downloaded 253 times
You are a Dark Adept: You immerse yourself in the dark arts... potentially with great rewards...
Chefu

Post by Chefu »

Thanks for your comments shadowblack! I will look into the Faloan bug.

About the IE problems: The current version of IE has several bugs. I have made an update with bugfixes (including the reef and lavinian light infantry bugs) but can't put it on the addons server because I haven't received the password to update IE yet. I have attached the bugfixed version here. You will need to unzip it and place it in the userdata/data/add-ons directory. For a full description of what has been changed in this version of IE, check out the following post on the Orbivm forums: changelog on Orbivm forums

Thanks,
Chefu

EDIT: The era was too large to upload to the forums. You can download it from mediafire here: http://www.mediafire.com/file/k6wufdgai ... ialEra.zip
Orbivm Forums
Chefu

Post by Chefu »

Bugs fixed. v0.7 is now up on the addons server. It should be free of campaign breaking bugs.

Unfortunately, I still haven't gotten the proper authorizations to update IE on the 1.8 addons server (but it is in the works). However, the latest version can always be downloaded from SVN (http://wesnoth-umc-dev.svn.sourceforge. ... /?view=tar)

EDIT: Finally got the proper permissions to update IE. The latest version can be downloaded from the 1.8 addons server.
Orbivm Forums
wladislawia

Post by wladislawia »

I started playing this campaign earlier today and so far it is relatively easy (as expected of a Novice level campaign). However I encountered a game-breaking bug that does not allow me to complete it: In the scenario "Remnants of the Past" I am supposed to move Faolan to some location. However I have no unit called Faolan, and my main character is NOT a leader (he's unable to recruit), so as soon as I end my first turn I lose and go back to the main menu. I have attached my start-of-scenario save and the first turn autosave.
I've encountered the same problem. Is there any way to fix this?
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

wladislawia wrote:
I've encountered the same problem. Is there any way to fix this?
How about re-starting from scenario Remnants of the Past?
These codes on scenario Just in Time have not updated for current BfW:

Code: Select all

{MODIFY_UNIT description=Faolan canrecruit no}
        {MODIFY_UNIT description=Cardrew side 1}
        {MODIFY_UNIT description=Finobar side 1}
The first one might effect the bug that you got. But the next scenario (Remnants of the Past) seems fine to appear Faolan on the map.
Well, this is just a guess though...
Fate of a Princess/feedback thread: "What is in own heart that is the most important, not who you are."
Drake Campaign: Brave Wings/feedback thread, Naga Campaign: Return of the Monster, Saurian Campaign: Across the Ocean
Northern Forces - now on 1.12 server
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

SkyOne wrote:These codes on scenario Just in Time have not updated for current BfW:
Yes. You can try fixing it in this way:

{MODIFY_UNIT id=Faolan canrecruit no}
        {MODIFY_UNIT id=Cardrew side 1}
        {MODIFY_UNIT id=Finobar side 1}
Current maintainer of these add-ons, all on 1.16:
The Sojournings of Grog, Children of Dragons, A Rough Life, Wesnoth Lua Pack, The White Troll (co-author)
wladislawia

Post by wladislawia »

Elvish_Hunter wrote:
SkyOne wrote:These codes on scenario Just in Time have not updated for current BfW:
Yes. You can try fixing it in this way:

{MODIFY_UNIT id=Faolan canrecruit no}
        {MODIFY_UNIT id=Cardrew side 1}
        {MODIFY_UNIT id=Finobar side 1}
This may seem silly, but I am new here. Where do I edit this? And with which tool?
SkyOne wrote:How about re-starting from scenario Remnants of the Past?

I've tried restarting this scenario (and the previous one as well) but it wouldn't help.
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

Okay, this is the updated scenario "Just in Time". You need to install it to "(user)data-->add-ons-->Epic_of_Vaniyera-->scenarios. I am still not sure that it causes to the bug you encountered or not, though, because if Faolan turns to side=1 from side=2 leader at the end of the scenario 4, it should be a [recall] tag for him, instead of an [unit] tag, on the scenario 5. You may have two Faolans in this case. The bug is actually a kind of strange one, so I might be able to refer them as well at later on tonight (after midnight on the Pacific Time.)

EDIT: In the case of having two Faolans in side=1, install this scenario 5 into the same directory as a scenario file, then re-start from this scenario.
----------------------

EDIT II: As the result of the investigation, Faolan shows on the map on the scenario 5 either playing the original version and one that my files have been installed. So you just need to re-download the latest version, then re-start from a suitable scenario. On the game, there is not much difference between the two versions.

To Chefu, there is a minor bug on Raindancer unit's melee-defense-animation.
Attachments
4_Just_in_Time.cfg
(12.92 KiB) Downloaded 267 times
5_Remnants_of_the_Past.cfg
(7.95 KiB) Downloaded 272 times
Fate of a Princess/feedback thread: "What is in own heart that is the most important, not who you are."
Drake Campaign: Brave Wings/feedback thread, Naga Campaign: Return of the Monster, Saurian Campaign: Across the Ocean
wladislawia

Post by wladislawia »

SkyOne wrote:Okay, this is the updated scenario "Just in Time". You need to install it to "(user)data-->add-ons-->Epic_of_Vaniyera-->scenarios. I am still not sure that it causes to the bug you encountered or not, though, because if Faolan turns to side=1 from side=2 leader at the end of the scenario 4, it should be a [recall] tag for him, instead of an [unit] tag, on the scenario 5. You may have two Faolans in this case. The bug is actually a kind of strange one, so I might be able to refer them as well at later on tonight (after midnight on the Pacific Time.)

EDIT: In the case of having two Faolans in side=1, install this scenario 5 into the same directory as a scenario file, then re-start from this scenario.
----------------------

EDIT II: As the result of the investigation, Faolan shows on the map on the scenario 5 either playing the original version and one that my files have been installed. So you just need to re-download the latest version, then re-start from a suitable scenario. On the game, there is not much difference between the two versions.
I tried using the updated scenarios, but it wouldn't help. Faolan still losses his 'player leader' crown at the end of the 'Just in Time' mission and can't recall units in the next scenario. Removing and re-downloading the campaign has also not helped. Still, thank you for the offered help and advices.

I'm uploading the two file saves if that'd be of any use.
Attachments
EoV-Remnants_of_the_Past-Auto-Save1.gz
(17.09 KiB) Downloaded 273 times
EoV-Just_in_Time_Turn_18.gz
(43.29 KiB) Downloaded 374 times
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

Okay, now I understand what you mean as well.:)
wladislawia wrote: Faolan still losses his 'player leader' crown at the end of the 'Just in Time' mission and can't recall units in the next scenario.
It is the way that is supposed to be.
Faolan is the side=2 leader on the scenario 4, then he becomes just a side=1 unit (HERO) on the next scenario. He cannot recruit at-all on/after the scenario 5.
Your save-file clearly shows Faolan on the right hex.
wladislawia

Post by wladislawia »

Oh, sorry- my mistake here. But Vaniyera also losses his leader status (he can't recruit) and after hitting 'end turn' I get the message 'You have been defeated'...
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

wladislawia wrote:But Vaniyera also losses his leader status (he can't recruit) and after hitting 'end turn' I get the message 'You have been defeated'...
I have seen the problem. I did not realize it because I just focused on Faolan unit (sorry). It occurs when the side=1 leader is "canrecruit=no", but either the scenario and your save-file shows that Vaniyera is "canrecruit=yes". A strange bug again... Possible codes that causes to the problem are:

{MODIFY_UNIT id=Faolan side 1}
        {MODIFY_UNIT description=Faolan canrecruit no}
The first one triggers, but the second one doesn't on the recent BfW. So maybe, the game cannot recognize any leaders in side=1 even for Vaniyera unit. (it is probably fine on BfW 1.9/10.) The updater, Chefu?, actually ignored the code because he spawned Faolan as a new unit on the next scenario in side=1. So... let's ignore to put Faolan in side=1 at the end of the scenario 4. Faolan does not advance to the next level, so it won't be a big deal although it is different from Turin's original one.

Install this scenario into the directory that I told you, then re-start from the scenario 4. (I know you have played it a lot of times.) Keeping a couple of side=2 units, Cardrew and Finobar, will be a good luck for you, by the way. (so is one of enemy-leaders, Athus, but it is a bit harder.:wink: )

You don't have to touch anything on the scenario 5 at this time. I have not tested, yet, but it is supposed to work as well.
Attachments
4_Just_in_Time.cfg
(13.31 KiB) Downloaded 263 times
wladislawia

Post by wladislawia »

It's alive! Thanks :D

still, couldn't save neither Cardew nor Finobar (both units rushed to their doom in the first 2 turns before I was able to shield them). But 'ignoring Athus' worked, nice hint ;)

again, a big thank you