Problems converting map to 1.3

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

deoxy

Problems converting map to 1.3

Post by deoxy »

I'm trying to convert to 1.3, and my map is now "not valid". I've checked all the terrain strings multiple times, and I can't find anything wrong.

Any ideas?
Attachments
AllFaction.zip
Faction chooser map
(365 Bytes) Downloaded 118 times
Insert nifty witticism here... if only I had one.
PingPangQui

Post by PingPangQui »

Well I can't find anything at the first glance, didn't check the letters though. However it doesn't work for me either.

Did you use wmllint to convert the map or did you do it manually?

Update: there are several mistakes regarding terrain letters. The fastest way for conversion is probably wmllint (use the old map, in case you have custom terrains this won't work though). Another way is to load the map with the map editor and have a look at the error output - it tells you what's wrong. For the standard letters please see here.
The Clan Antagonist.

"Larry the Cow was a bit frustrated at the current state of Linux distributions (...) until he tried Gentoo Linux" - Free Software for free people.
deoxy

Post by deoxy »

I didn't want to bother with python, and I'm good with Excel, so I made a converter in Excel. It's possible that I have an error in it somewhere, of course, but I pulled in the codes from the page you linked (that was my original source, anyway - the "Conversion from old to new" section) and checked against the codes in my map, and all the codes in my map appear to be valid (unless I'm missing something) - which terrain letters have mistakes?

Also, when I try to load it in the map editor, it just tells me that "the file does not contain a valid map", and that's the end of it - where would I go to get this "error output" you mentioned?
PingPangQui

Post by PingPangQui »

Well I supposed you were using Linux - there you would get the standard error output to the console/terminal where you started wesnoth from.

No idea if you get it when starting it from command line (cmd) in MS Windows. Have a try ;). There might be also a file where wesnoth writes the standard error output under MS Windows, though I don't know where.

To your other question: I just had a look into the file

The first error was: Uf which should be Uu^Uf
The secound was: Uui (I don't know what that should be - cave sth?)

You better have a closer look at section "Terrain Table" on the page I linked to above.

If you still can't manage to converting the map please post the original one, i.e. with old terrain letters, here.
The Clan Antagonist.

"Larry the Cow was a bit frustrated at the current state of Linux distributions (...) until he tried Gentoo Linux" - Free Software for free people.
deoxy

Post by deoxy »

PingPangQui wrote:Well I supposed you were using Linux - there you would get the standard error output to the console/terminal where you started wesnoth from.

No idea if you get it when starting it from command line (cmd) in MS Windows. Have a try ;). There might be also a file where wesnoth writes the standard error output under MS Windows, though I don't know where.

To your other question: I just had a look into the file

The first error was: Uf which should be Uu^Uf
The secound was: Uui (I don't know what that should be - cave sth?)

You better have a closer look at section "Terrain Table" on the page I linked to above.

If you still can't manage to converting the map please post the original one, i.e. with old terrain letters, here.
Well, according to http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/TerrainLett ... old_to_new, right bracket (]) converts to Uf and apostrophe (') converts to Uui.

So, basically, I'm not able to convert it because the wiki is out of date?

Hm, upon reading a little further, it would appear that the wiki is in disagreement with itself - the very next section has the conversions you listed! Apostrophe should apparently be "Uu^li", though that's not what the first conversion table says...

That's very annoying. Could someone more knowledgeable than myself please fix that?!?