Flight to Freedom (drake campaign)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Nova

Re: Flight to Freedom (drake campaign)

Post by Nova »

An update for anyone following this thread:

I've been hard at work at the campaign since MadMax handed it off to me. There have been a number of important changes, including the inclusion of Theracar as a playable character and the disabling of the Morogor branch. The Morogor missions will be fleshed out and made into a more complete campaign in and of themselves; the two campaigns will be played separately but will have connected stories and be released under the shared heading of "Legends of Morogor."

The dialogue is being overhauled, and I'm working to add more of the drakes' pertinent history where appropriate. The story graphics are being remade for improved display, and many more are being added. Kogw will probably get a branching advancement path.

Life demands that I set it aside for the next two weeks, but I hope to have a finished version ready by the end of the month. I considered releasing what's already done, but I think the new version of Flight to Freedom will be a unique and memorable Wesnoth experience, and I'd like people's first encounter with it to be based on a stable, finished, and mostly bug-free version.

I'm excited to show you all the results soon; in the meantime, I wish everyone a happy new year.
--Nova
Attachments
01_survival1.jpg
"Never underestimate the power of the fish rush." "I don't think nagas are fish." "Fish Rush!"
---
Flight to Freedom: http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php ... &start=690
Co-Author, Maintainer
Nova

Post by Nova »

Flight to Freedom can be a terribly difficult campaign at times. It is not, however, impossible.

I'm not the world's best player, but I have managed my way through the entire campaign. If anyone would like to suggest strategies, I'll gladly add them in here. Until then, here's how I made it:

(Thanks to Garrus for suggesting a few strategies.)
Survival:
Rebellion:
The Manor:
Caravan:
Blue River:
Southern Shore:
Open Ocean:
Landfall:
Drake Escape:
Underground:
River of Skulls:
Rockfall:
Betrayal:
Hordes of the Undead:
Gate of Storms:
Exodus:
Blockade:
Return to Morogor:
Liberation:
Endgame:
Last edited by Nova on March 6th, 2010, 1:37 am, edited 4 times in total.
"Never underestimate the power of the fish rush." "I don't think nagas are fish." "Fish Rush!"
---
Co-Author, Maintainer
Nova

Post by Nova »

THINGS TO WORK ON FOR NEXT VERSION (YOUR HELP NEEDED!)

Here's a list of things that are in-mind for the next version. Some I can manage on my own, anything related to graphics I cannot. If you have a suggestion, an answer, or a contribution, I'd love to hear it.

Increased animation for Malakar. He really pales compared to the newest Drake graphics.
Increased animation for Kogw. He just doesn't move.
New base graphic for Drake Legend unit. Malakar's ultimate form. It's the same graphic as the previous level. Boo.
New base graphics for Kogw. His final upgrade splits into three paths. All of them have the same graphic, which is very disappointing.
Pirate Sailor portrait needed. For either Davies or Rhys. The other will take the Fencer portrait, which is surprisingly pirate-y already.
New farm animals needed. There are several types of cows, but I don't want to make them all into cows. That said, they should change to something less ugly.
New 'Fake Wall' needed for The Manor. Something that looks and blends like a cave wall, but can be walked through.
New 'Rift' graphic needed. It's a tear in the earth than can be flown over but not walked over. Currently, it displays over units and isn't very attractive.
Portrait for 'Book.' When someone is reading from the book in Liberation, it'd be nice if it looked like the 'book' was speaking.
New base graphic for Theracar. It'd be nice, but not really a priority.
Portrait for Theracar. This I'd really like to have.

Cleanup of WML, reducing dependency on odd macros. I'm workin' on it, slowly.
Last edited by Nova on February 19th, 2010, 3:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
---
Co-Author, Maintainer
Nova

Post by Nova »

Ladies, Gentlemen, and Hatchlings:

Flight to Freedom v5.0.0 is officially live as of today. Among its virtues:

New dialog.
New story sequences.
Every single map has been redrawn.
Theracar is a playable character.
Rebalanced difficulty.
New upgrades for heroes.
New and reorganized music.
Endless, endless bugfixes. It doesn't crash anymore!

This has been a labor of love for me for the last several months, and I'm proud to finally be able to share with you all the results. Please post all thoughts, comments, and suggestions you might have right here in the forums. Enjoy!
Attachments
FtFsplash.png
FtFsplash.png (46.53 KiB) Viewed 7047 times
---
Co-Author, Maintainer
Espreon
Inactive Developer

Post by Espreon »

If, for some reason, you cannot download Flight to Freedom from the addons server, you can download a tarball of it from SourceForge.

When the next version is released, XDeltas will be available.
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

Hi, Nova

Congratulations for your uploading. I downloaded it from the add-ons.
However, the _server.pbl file came with the campaign. I realized it when I uploaded own this morning because... (you know what I mean, right?)
I am not sure how it happens, but you had better fix it as soon as possible.

best regard
Fate of a Princess/feedback thread: "What is in own heart that is the most important, not who you are."
Drake Campaign: Brave Wings/feedback thread, Naga Campaign: Return of the Monster, Saurian Campaign: Across the Ocean
Northern Forces - now on 1.12 server
Nova

Post by Nova »

Thanks - good to know.

I have no idea how this happens, because I can't upload it without the pbl file in the folder.. I assumed since it isn't part of the downloads, it would be stripped somehow. Frustrating.

Anyone around who has uploaded successfully before?
---
Co-Author, Maintainer
ydcl

Post by ydcl »

I don't get it !Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but when I kill both guards, nothing happen ! Do I have to kill with somebody in particular ? If yes, this is a strategic issue. If not, I think there is a bug. Is call : Rebellion
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

Nova wrote:Anyone around who has uploaded successfully before?
It seems the way of placing the pbl file depends on operating systems. I always put it in the folder on Mac, and it does not come with the campaigns when downloading them.
This thread may help you?: http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=28489
Fate of a Princess/feedback thread: "What is in own heart that is the most important, not who you are."
Drake Campaign: Brave Wings/feedback thread, Naga Campaign: Return of the Monster, Saurian Campaign: Across the Ocean
Northern Forces - now on 1.12 server
Nova

Post by Nova »

ydcl wrote:I don't get it !Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but when I kill both guards, nothing happen ! Do I have to kill with somebody in particular ? If yes, this is a strategic issue. If not, I think there is a bug. Is call : Rebellion
There are two goals when you first start out: "Kill the Overseer" and "Rescue the Hatchlings." After you rescue the Hatchlings, you get a new goal: "Kill the Two Guards."

By the end, you need to have completed all three goals. If you've already gotten the guards, have you also killed the Overseer?

If so, that is a serious problem; although I haven't been able to replicate it. Please send me a replay of your game. If not, I'll see if I can make the goals somehow clearer in future versions. Be warned: your objectives will often change mid-mission during this campaign. Don't ignore the pop-up messages!
---
Co-Author, Maintainer
Nova

Post by Nova »

Okay. Hopefully everything should be straightened out now with the pbl file. It sounds like the pbl file needs to be a directory higher for PCs than for Macs, and that triggered the problem. The passphrase has been changed now, so the 97 of you who downloaded it last night (woo-hoo) can abandon your no-doubt-terribly-nefarious schemes to do... .... whatever it is you can do with a passphrase.

SkyOne, thank you for the quick heads-up!
---
Co-Author, Maintainer
Neilarmius

Post by Neilarmius »

Nova wrote:New 'Rift' graphic needed. It's a tear in the earth than can be flown over but not walked over. Currently, it displays over units and isn't very attractive.
Is it named 'canyon' in the files. Would like to help but I'm not really up to portraits.
ydcl

Post by ydcl »

I think I do everything.
Here is the game, when everybody killed.
ydcl

Post by ydcl »

I think I do everything.
Here is the game, when everybody killed.
Sorry, I forgot the file.
Attachments
FtF-Rebellion_Tour_10.gz
(34.36 KiB) Downloaded 512 times
Nova

Post by Nova »

For now, ydcl, I'm stumped. It does look like you did everything correctly, but the variable "guards_killed" is stuck at "1." I've played through the map a dozen different ways today, and I can't replicate that problem.

What Wesnoth version are you playing? I've tested it against the last two versions: 1.8.b5 and 1.8.b6.
Did you use debug mode or do anything unusual like that?

If anyone else experiences this problem, please post here -- I'll continue trying to figure out what might cause this.

In the meantime, ydcl, my best advice would be to load the map over and try again. You'll want to load the file FtF-Rebellion.gz, which resets all the variables back to their starting point. The "Auto Saves" will NOT do this correctly, and may carry over whatever the problem was.

--I'm sorry for this frustration. I spent weeks looking for bugs, and I'm disappointed one cropped up so soon -- I thought I had them all. :(
---
Co-Author, Maintainer