Flight to Freedom (drake campaign)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

CannonFodder

Re: Flight to Freedom (drake campaign)

Post by CannonFodder »

Hi!

Some time ago I remember playing this campaign, however now in Wesnoth 1.14.0 it doesn't seem to work (I downloaded it fresh, right now from the server; version 5.3.0). I have the game compiled fresh on Debian Linux, from the 1.14.0 tag in the Git repo, mainline campaigns this far appear to work fine. I can play through the first scenario of the campaign, and even finish it proper, the attached save is the last one which the game generates. Then I do the obvious solution, moving the clasher away from the target which it was guarding for Theracar to enter on this turn. Scenario finishes, however clicking on the "End scenario" button results in the game crashing with a "Ran out of memory. Aborted." message on the console. No other messages are generated.
Attachments
FtF-Survival-Auto-Save6.gz
Game crashes after finishing from here
(38.9 KiB) Downloaded 457 times
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

Thanks for the report. Uploaded a hotfix (5.3.1).
"ILLEGITIMIS NON CARBORUNDUM"

Father of Flight to Freedom
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/FlightToFreedom
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

I can't start the campagin because Wesnoth turns unresponsive the moment it tries to load the intro text (after starting from the 'campaigns' menu).
Attachments
stuck.png
CannonFodder

Post by CannonFodder »

Seems fixed for me. I couldn't reproduce what Konrad2 experiences on my system though, however I see a brief halt (about a second) at that point, similarly before the text finishes fading in. This behavior seems to be present with other (mainline) campaigns too, I presume Wesnoth caches some stuff then.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

So. No idea why, but this time it worked. So. Yeah.
CannonFodder

Post by CannonFodder »

Another find, a small one this time: River of Skulls. In this one, there is a "storeroom" where some dwarvish ale can be found (apparently not too appetizing for drakes). When a drake falls victim to the unstable ground here, "Invalid WML found: unknown conditional wml: [clear_variable]". I had a burner suffering this (are they even supposed to fall here? I thought only clashers would, like on a bridge before)
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

CannonFodder wrote: May 12th, 2018, 8:16 pm Another find, a small one this time: River of Skulls. In this one, there is a "storeroom" where some dwarvish ale can be found (apparently not too appetizing for drakes). When a drake falls victim to the unstable ground here, "Invalid WML found: unknown conditional wml: [clear_variable]". I had a burner suffering this (are they even supposed to fall here? I thought only clashers would, like on a bridge before)
The WML error doesn't have any gameplay effects, so I'll fix it in the next patch. As for the burner, this is a plot rather than coding bug. I'll change it to a cave-in or something. Thanks for letting me know.

CannonFodder

Post by CannonFodder »

I completed it, nice story!

On the final scenario, I however had an odd experience. At turn 35, some texts came on using drake magi without anything else, and I found one of them on the eastern edge. Looking in the scenario's code, it seems like they should have a proper introduction which apparently didn't trigger, possibly the attached save will reproduce this.

In the epilogue, I found it odd that Malakar is told to have lived 133 years, which doesn't correspond to the description of drakes, where 20-30 years is mentioned. Of course it could be a point of view change here, and with time, Malakar's reign after the liberation becoming a renowned age of prosperity, attributing him unusual traits like such an incredible age.
Attachments
FtF-Endgame-Auto-Save34.gz
Drake magi introduction fails
(156.56 KiB) Downloaded 492 times
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

5.3.2 uploaded. Minor bug fixes.

egallager

Post by egallager »

So, I've already talked with MadMax about this on Discord, but I've made my own set of changes to this campaign over 2 separate playthrus of it, which can be found here: https://github.com/cooljeanius/wesnoth_mods/tree/master/campaigns/Flight_Freedom
To summarize: basically, being stuck at chokepoints in the underground levels is unfun, so I did a lot of editing to try to compensate for and work around that fact. Anyways, I'd love to get some of these changes integrated back upstream; is there a way I could submit them as a pull request?
Last edited by egallager on November 29th, 2022, 4:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
egallager

Post by egallager »

egallager wrote: November 19th, 2020, 8:41 pm So, I've already talked with MadMax about this on Discord, but I've made my own set of changes to this campaign over 2 separate playthrus of it, which can be found here: https://github.com/cooljeanius/wesnoth_ ... ht_Freedom
To summarize: basically, being stuck at chokepoints in the underground levels is unfun, so I did a lot of editing to try to compensate for and work around that fact. Anyways, I'd love to get some of these changes integrated back upstream; is there a way I could submit them as a pull request?
Update: instead of me submitting my changes, MadMax has just let me make a version with my changes the new upstream instead, and thus, I have taken over maintainership of this campaign. The new version with my changes, version 5.3.3, is now up on the 1.14 add-on server! The corresponding tag for it in my new GitHub repo for the campaign is here: https://github.com/cooljeanius/Flight_Freedom/releases/tag/5.3.3
Last edited by egallager on November 29th, 2022, 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
egallager

Post by egallager »

Oh, and I've also generated a potfile for the campaign, if anyone wants to help translate it:
Flight_Freedom.pot.gz
potfile for Flight to Freedom
(58.12 KiB) Downloaded 97 times
Paul5678

Post by Paul5678 »

This looks like a cool campaign. How do I play it? I have 1.16
egallager

Post by egallager »

Paul5678 wrote: January 4th, 2022, 8:23 pm This looks like a cool campaign. How do I play it? I have 1.16
I haven't ported it to the 1.16 add-on server yet (I'm focusing on porting "A New Order" first); you can still try putting it in your add-ons folder manually though, and see if it works...
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

When will this have a 1.16 port?
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium