Campaign Development: Ancient Birthright

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Krimzon

Campaign Development: Ancient Birthright

Post by Krimzon »

The dwarves are an ancient race, and have lived in the Northlands for thousands of years. Their cities have always been built beneath the ground. Tunnelled under the earth. Through the centuries the dwarves' power grew. and as their tunnels delved ever deeper, the mountains yielded up their most valuable treasures - gold, silver, jewels and precious stones to swell the coffers of the Dwarf Lords.

Hundreds of years ago, disaster struck when vast armies of orcs and goblins assaulted the dwarf homeland. City after city fell in desperate battle, and today the dwarves retain only a tiny fraction of their great kingdom and the power they held in ages past.

The might of the once dwarven realm has since fallen into myth and legend and only subsequent clans remain scattered from beyond the Great River. The migration south forced the dwarven people into contact with elf and man and the races had a period of prosperous development. However, the encroaching borders of the new provinces sparked a bloody war between the elves of Wesmere which almost completely destroyed the two races.

The dwarves now continue to live in isolated strongholds of decreasing population, cherishing the glorious memories of their past and yearning for the days when their greatest cities will ring again to the sound of dwarf voices...

(campaign title may change)

This will be the basis of the background story for the dwarves, if there are any clashes or problems with this in relation to current campaigns or the Wesnoth history, please let me know for I may have missed something...

This campaign will hopefully shed some light onto dwarf society, religion, and culture for I have noticed many campaigns (especially loyalists) have an established history and I thought dwarves could be very interesting to delve into. This will be set before Northern Rebirth, Sceptre of Fire and The Hammer of Thursagan.

Progress will be undoubtedly slow for this will be my first campaign so any addition help would be greatly appreciated (I've read HOWTO by Eric :D). I have many ideas for possible scenarios and will get the initial storyboard up as soon as possible. The campaign will be made challenging and I'm aiming for something epic :) the length of the campaign will most likely be around 12 active scenarios, max.

I hope to cover the introduction of the outlaws and the Knalgan alliance, introduction of the ulfserker, how dwarves came to using gryphons, technology such as gyrocopters, thunderers and flamethrowers (would need EE to play) however these are just loose ideas atm but everything will hopefully become more clear when I get a storyboard up...

The campaign is basically about the dwarves restablishing power in the north, establishing diplomatic relations and rebuilding their empire... there will be heros and magical artifacts involved. I am hoping to link current campaigns to show a timeline or a journey the dwarves have taken.
santi
Lord of Wesmere

Post by santi »

In TROW, dwarves and elves are inhabitants of Wesnoth, way before
orcs show up. There is actually some friction between elves and dwarves
already in TROW and hints to an elf-dwarf war way back.
So dwarves and elves have fought way before orcs came.

If you want to get by this, you can use the statements by Burin and the elvish scouts in "a spy in the woods", which indicates that both elves and dwarves have seen orcs before, so you may want to refer to
times way before haldric and TROW....
Krimzon

Post by Krimzon »

Oh, I see... although it may seem odd, I'm actually only now playing through TROW and so I missed this point however thank you for bringing it to my attention, I will alter the background story to include this.

Also, the background story states that Dwarves were inhabiting the Northlands before the Orcs came and drove them out so I think I can get away with that :)
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

Krimzon wrote:Oh, I see... although it may seem odd, I'm actually only now playing through TROW and so I missed this point however thank you for bringing it to my attention, I will alter the background story to include this.

Also, the background story states that Dwarves were inhabiting the Northlands before the Orcs came and drove them out so I think I can get away with that :)
Don't dwarves still live in mountains there (SoF, NR, etc)?
Krimzon

Post by Krimzon »

"The dwarves now continue to live in isolated strongholds"

"subsequent clans remain scattered from beyond the Great River"

"retain only a tiny fraction of their great kingdom"

I never said they didn't :wink:

Just that the majority moved south of the Northlands due to Orcish incursions into their territory.
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

Krimzon wrote:"The dwarves now continue to live in isolated strongholds"

"subsequent clans remain scattered from beyond the Great River"

"retain only a tiny fraction of their great kingdom"

I never said they didn't :wink:

Just that the majority moved south of the Northlands due to Orcish incursions into their territory.
If by south do you mean south of the kingdom of Wesnoth? That would be seriously non-canon unless you made another campaign that made them go back up again... :?
Krimzon

Post by Krimzon »

Look on the wesnoth map...

subsequent clans remain scattered from beyond the Great River

The campaign is about re-establishing power in the Northlands from the years of war. By moving south, all I was trying to point out was the fact of the Northeners forcing the dwarves to push back as far as the Great River although there are still some strongholds existing beyond that point, scattered... but nothing compared to when the Dwarven Kingdom was at the hight of its power.

I didn't think it was too confusing :?
Krimzon

Post by Krimzon »

ok, I've revised the background history to slot in with the Wesnoth timeline and with Bob_The_Mighty's help, scenerio 1 has been completed and I've started work on the next installment. Thank you to everyone who has helped me test it.