Campaign Design How-To

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Tarsus

Re: Campaign Design How-To

Post by Tarsus »

Do I have to save the campaign as a cgf file?
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Tarsus wrote:Do I have to save the campaign as a cgf file?
Your question is broken.

If you want to learn how to make a campaign, maybe start by reading this: http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic. ... 10#p375010
raptorx

Post by raptorx »

wel i read it lot of it but noting tels me how to make campaign :(
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

raptorx wrote:wel i read it lot of it but noting tels me how to make campaign
Did you look at this?
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
raptorx

Post by raptorx »

how i can make my own campaigns if you know how tel me :wink:
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

raptorx wrote:how i can make my own campaigns if you know how tel me :wink:
artisticdude wrote:
raptorx wrote:wel i read it lot of it but noting tels me how to make campaign
Did you look at this?
If that doesn't help, I guess I could tell you.
F:tGJ, Saurian Campaign
The Southern Chains, a fanfic
“The difference between winners and champions is that champions are more consistent."
~Sierra
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

artisticdude wrote:Did you look at this?
raptorx wrote:how i can make my own campaigns if you know how tel me :wink:
Dude, seriously. If you're not going to read it, why bother trying to create a campaign in the first place? It's all there in the wiki. If you come across a certain point you're confused about, that's when you ask for help here. But we have the wiki for a reason, not just to take up a portion of cyberspace. Read, learn, then ask. Many, many people, myself included, have used the wiki to learn how to create campaigns, and they've managed to figure it out just fine. No one's gonna help you if you don't want to try helping yourself first.
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
Vladcara

Post by Vladcara »

I have to agree with artisticdude on this point, and would further like to add that this wiki is great-it really helped with my burgeoning campaign :D
'Wow, Brazil's big!'
George Bush, when shown a map of the world
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

Additionally, that's kind of too broad a question. I think he's getting the wrong idea that making a campaign is a thing that one question can answer.
“The difference between winners and champions is that champions are more consistent."
~Sierra
toastguy7

Post by toastguy7 »

Hey I've been trying to get the basics of making a campaign, and have read the wiki guide to making a simple scenario. I have a scenario which follows their example with a few substitutions of units, etc. I have also made a simple map, put it in the campaign folder in the add-ons folder, and I have (what I believe to be) a working, simple, campaign code and my scenario all in that folder. My problem, is that when I open campaigns in game, the two campaigns I downloaded (and are in the add-ons folder) show up, while my campaign does not. Probably a stupid question, but does WML work in a simple Mac word processor like Microsoft Word or Text Edit? or is my folder in the wrong place? Help would be appreciated as I'd like to get good enough at this to make something cool.
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

Do you have a _main.cfg? I remember that was my main problem getting my scenarios to work when I first started. (What a coincidental choice of words...)
~Sierra
monochromatic

Post by monochromatic »

A nice way to start is to download "A Simple Campaign" by Anonymissus on the add-ons server and replace the items in there to suit your needs. That add-on was made for this purpose I believe.
boru

Post by boru »

toastguy7 wrote:Probably a stupid question, but does WML work in a simple Mac word processor like Microsoft Word or Text Edit?
Of the two, I'd definitely recommend Text Edit over Word. A lot of the features of a word processor will get in your way more than help you.
“It is written in my life-blood, such as that is, thick or thin; and I can no other.” - J.R.R. Tolkien

My campaign: Swamplings - Four centuries before the founding of Wesnoth, the first wolf rider emerges from a tribe of lowly swamp goblins.
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

elvish_sovereign wrote:A nice way to start is to download "A Simple Campaign" by Anonymissus on the add-ons server and replace the items in there to suit your needs. That add-on was made for this purpose I believe.
Solely.
I need to add that MS Word and OpenOffice are not suitable for editing code there...
And btw this is a campaign design thread, not a thread about how to exactly code it.
projects (BfW 1.12):
A Simple Campaign: campaign draft for wml startersPlan Your Advancements: mp mod
The Earth's Gut: sp campaignSettlers of Wesnoth: mp scenarioWesnoth Lua Pack: lua tags and utils
updated to 1.8 and handed over: A Gryphon's Tale: sp campaign
toastguy7

Post by toastguy7 »

Thank you all kindly, I'll try to get that to work. Are entries in the "First Scenario" and "First Custom Unit" of the Building Campaigns Tutorial forthcoming? Anywho, I will no longer disturb this thread, sorry if my question was in the wrong place.