Wercator Weturns! (v. 0.6.3; Web interface back)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Deodand

Post by Deodand »

I've just downloaded this, but before I try to install it I'd just like to confirm that this does work with the WinXp version of The Gimp.
Quensul
Art Contributor

Post by Quensul »

Deodand wrote:I've just downloaded this, but before I try to install it I'd just like to confirm that this does work with the WinXp version of The Gimp.
An excellent question, but one I can't answer. :-) I don't have a Windows box to test with or compile on. If you compiled the Gimp yourself, Wercator should build cleanly. If you have problems compiling, I'd be glad to help work through them -- the goal is to make this as cross-platform as the Gimp is.

However, if you're running a pre-compiled Gimp, don't have a compiler, and don't want to go down that road, you're probably out of luck until we can find someone willing to package Windows binaries of Wercator. Anyone interested?
Author of Wercator
VS
Translator

Post by VS »

Well, what would I need for that - dependencies?
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

I guess it might be enough with the GIMP and GTK2 development resources (includes and import libraries).
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Quensul
Art Contributor

Post by Quensul »

Shadow Master wrote:I guess it might be enough with the GIMP and GTK2 development resources (includes and import libraries).
I believe that's true -- Wercator's only external dependencies are on the GIMP dev libraries and GTK2, as well as the tools depended on by autotools. I did some poking around; your best bet is probably to follow the GIMP howto to build the Gimp first (the howto refers to 2.2.8; I would suggest building 2.2.17 (the last release in the 2.2 series), but not the recently-released 2.4 -- it looks like I still have some issues to work out with 2.4). Once the Gimp is built (implying that you have the appropriate tools installed :-)), the install instructions for Wercator in the first post in this thread should work. The end result will be a single executable; the data files won't change between platforms.

EDIT: There also appears to be a Gimp dev package for Windows (linked to from near the bottom of this page), but the documentation is rather lacking. It might be sufficient to use this, and avoid having to build the entire Gimp tree, but I'm not sure. YMMV.

EDIT 2: I thought I had remembered a post about this on the Gimp dev list; here it is. He suggests writing your own Makefile; unfortunately, Wercator is quite large for a plugin -- you'll probably want to go the autotools route.

Thanks!
Author of Wercator
Espreon
Inactive Developer

Post by Espreon »

Yeah, when I try to use Wercator I get an error message, it renders the map but it does not finish the job. I am using 0.6.3 on Ubuntu 7.10 using GIMP 2.4.2

The message is attached...
Attachments
Screenshot-GIMP Message.png
Screenshot-GIMP Message.png (30.13 KiB) Viewed 5314 times
Quensul
Art Contributor

Post by Quensul »

Espreon wrote:Yeah, when I try to use Wercator I get an error message, it renders the map but it does not finish the job. I am using 0.6.3 on Ubuntu 7.10 using GIMP 2.4.2

The message is attached...
Thanks for the bug report. I recently gained access to a Ubuntu 7.10 machine myself; I'll see if I can reproduce this and release a fix soon.
Author of Wercator
DDR

Post by DDR »

Will the web interface ever be restored? I miss it. :(
Espreon
Inactive Developer

Post by Espreon »

Quensul wrote: Thanks for the bug report. I recently gained access to a Ubuntu 7.10 machine myself; I'll see if I can reproduce this and release a fix soon.
Yeah you can just use VMing to help you on your quest to reproduce bugs on certain distros... (A great VMing software: http://www.virtualbox.org/ )
Just wanted to let you know...
Quensul
Art Contributor

Post by Quensul »

DDR wrote:Will the web interface ever be restored? I miss it. :(
Yes. The problem is, I'm trying to finish my doctoral thesis, and my time for side projects like Wercator has been curtailed. It's on the list, and I'll get to it eventually, but I can't promise when.
Author of Wercator
Quensul
Art Contributor

Re:

Post by Quensul »

DDR wrote:Will the web interface ever be restored? I miss it. :(
And the answer to that would be... check it out! :-) It's a complete rewrite, and involves more Javascript and CSS fun than before, so let me know if anyone has problems with particular browser / OS combinations. It's using the development version as the backend, so there are a few more options (e.g. folded / wrinkled paper textures) than in 0.6.3. 0.7.0 will be out hopefully within the next month; I have a few things I'd like to iron out before releasing it.

I've updated the first post to reflect the return of WWWercator; enjoy!
Author of Wercator
DDR

Re: Wercator Weturns! (v. 0.6.3; Web interface back)

Post by DDR »

http://www.sellner.org/wercator/%5C%22. ... html%5C%22, the link in http://www.sellner.org/wercator/getOptions.html, needs to be changed to http://www.sellner.org/wercator/, I think. :)

Also, the "Select a BfW map to upload:" text box is about 8 spaces ahead of the carat.

In http://www.sellner.org/wercator/display ... _way_clash, none of the links to the images (PNG JPEG XCF PSD Thumbnail) work The map link does work.

None of these links work, in the splash bar at the top... (Main \ Maps \ Download \ Annotate \ Changelog \ Contribute \ Help \ Contact)

I am using Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.11, and a Mandriva OS.

:)
Quensul
Art Contributor

Post by Quensul »

Indeed. Fixed -- thanks!
DDR wrote:Also, the "Select a BfW map to upload:" text box is about 8 spaces ahead of the carat.
Yeah, this is due to some CSS games to make the submit box look nice. I'll fiddle with it some more.
DDR wrote:In http://www.sellner.org/wercator/display ... _way_clash, none of the links to the images (PNG JPEG XCF PSD Thumbnail) work The map link does work.
Looks like you managed to find a bug in Wercator itself. :-) I'll look into it, although it may wait until Tuesday -- I'm on the road at the moment.
DDR wrote:None of these links work, in the splash bar at the top... (Main \ Maps \ Download \ Annotate \ Changelog \ Contribute \ Help \ Contact)
Really? That's really weird -- they're straight HTML, no strange games. Do they take you to a 404, or do they just not function as links? They've worked for me in Safari and various Firefox versions on Ubuntu.

Thanks for the feedback!
Author of Wercator
DDR

Post by DDR »

I get the "You seem to be rather lost! I'm afraid the page you were trying to access doesn't exist; perhaps one of the links in the area above and to the right will suffice?" message when I click on the links you last mentioned, in the title bar. The address I am directed to from the maps links is http://www.sellner.org/wercator/%5C%22./mapsIndex.html - the spaces make me curious. I know firefox has it's own ideas on how to interpret spaces...

By the way, the 'render queue' link has the same problems.

:hmm:
Quensul
Art Contributor

Post by Quensul »

Okay, give those links a try now -- they are relative, and I used "./foo.html", rather than "foo.html". Let me know if they work -- if that makes a difference, there are a number of other places that change needs to be made.
Author of Wercator