Space Campaign-Concept Change (read first post for details)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Tuxicity

Space Campaign-Concept Change (read first post for details)

Post by Tuxicity »

While initially our intent was to create a space campaign in an entirely sci-fi world in Wesnoth, we've actually figured out a better way to go about integrating the theme of space with the fantasy elements of Wesnoth. This should make critics that said we should simply develop a spacenoth campaign happy.

What we intend to do is create a campaign using the ideas, characters, mythology and physics of the Spelljammer campaign setting from DnD, in which fantastical ships and characters (Elves dwarves and etcetera) are able to travel to various planets through space, or "The Flow."

This helps us maintain the original idea of a campaign that combined space/ground combat while fascilitating the fantasy elements Wesnoth is based upon.

It's a somewhat more ambitious project but it gets rid of the need to develop our own universe. Now all that is needed is to create a simple plot, main characters, units and scenarios without having to worry about mythology or anything like that. It is also a way cooler idea.

For information on Spelljammer check out the wikipedia article linked above.

Ground unit graphics (And possibly whole factions) will be borrowed from other eras (Proper permissions granted as always), however we will also be developing new factions. A total list of new factions/borrowed factions would be:

New Factions:
  • Illithids (Who doesn't like squid people?)
  • Thri-Keen
  • Giffs
  • Spiders
  • Robots

Preexisting Factions We'd Like To Use/Edit
  • Elves (With minor graphic/unit changes. I might also include High Elves and Wood Elves units)
  • Dwarfs (With heavy additional units/graphics since dwarfs own.)
  • Humans (These will be so heavily edited that they'll probably look completely different from your standard Loyalists, but I will still be using Loyalists as the base images.)
  • Undead? (I'm totally unsure about the addition of this.)
While this a major change in the initial idea, it's also a gigantic step forward. We now have a lot of the initial planning out of the way. We know a lot more about what we hope to accomplish than we did yesterday, and this is a much more original and interesting idea.

I'm currently exhausted, but tomorrow I'll post more information.

Feedback is still appreciated.
Last edited by Tuxicity on September 15th, 2007, 4:08 am, edited 3 times in total.
Eyecard

Post by Eyecard »

Tuxicity covered like, everything I possibly could. I'm the co-author/bum, with a slightly different name. Basically, yeah. Feedback is awesome. Or even just, "This idea is dumb Wesnoth is fantasy!" Though we'll probably scorn you. Okay this... I don't have a whole lot to add.

-John
There is no Heaven or Hell for Sinners or Saints.
There is only now.
There is only us.
diekil

Post by diekil »

Mayby you should take it up to spacenoth a wesnoth based space rts at spacenothforum

Greetz,

Diekill
Blueblaze

Post by Blueblaze »

Ehh, you don't need to develope it under Spacenoth, considering Spacenoth needs quite a bit of work. If you can do art, then you should have no trouble, if you can't do art, then you may need Spacenoth afterall :p
Tuxicity

Post by Tuxicity »

Blueblaze wrote:Ehh, you don't need to develope it under Spacenoth, considering Spacenoth needs quite a bit of work. If you can do art, then you should have no trouble, if you can't do art, then you may need Spacenoth afterall :p
Eyecard and I both have a lot of knowedge in pixeling and I've even developed sprites for a game before (Albeit they were items for a game (about 100) but characters can't be that much harder.)

Aside, we really want to do it on Wesnoth even if it is unorthodox.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Doing a space campaign in Wesnoth is essentially trying to create another version of spacenoth... :? Making a campaign for spacenoth could be a cool idea, and I don't see why you'd want to strike out on your own when you can do it with an already existent project and use the resources they've already developed...
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Eyecard

Post by Eyecard »

turin wrote:Doing a space campaign in Wesnoth is essentially trying to create another version of spacenoth... :? Making a campaign for spacenoth could be a cool idea, and I don't see why you'd want to strike out on your own when you can do it with an already existent project and use the resources they've already developed...
Call it pride? If we're able to, we may borrow some things from Spacenoth on the code side, but honestly, WML isn't that difficult, so...
There is only now.
There is only us.
diekil

Post by diekil »

Oké than call it pride but making your own campaign and then mayby borowing some coding from spacenoth and don't make it for it you can do that but I think it's just not so smart.

Anyhow love to see the end result and much luck.

Greetz,

Diekill
Tuxicity

Post by Tuxicity »

Spacenoth has a while to go before it's a completed product and being that Spacenoth is essentially Wesnoth with a different interface and mainline campaigns it isn't as if we couldn't convert it over to a Spacenoth campaign with little effort. But we don't really want to use any of Spacenoth's map designs and even the ships, factions, etcetera will be totally different besides the occasional borrowed attack animation/etcetera. Furthermore I'm not sure Spacenoth goes any deeper into space combat than spacecraft combat, which isn't what we want to do. We want a mixture of both ground combat using futuristic troops/weapons and space combat.

So what I'm saying is, thanks for the suggestion but we intend to build this on Wesnoth regardless of the fact that Spacenoth is already in existence and based on space. (Also this campaign, while being a genuinely interesting and serious thing to play, will probably poke a LOT of fun at itself and other space/sci-fi themed games. I don't think Spacenoth would appreciate our sense of humor.)
diekil

Post by diekil »

Tuxicity wrote:Furthermore I'm not sure Spacenoth goes any deeper into space combat than spacecraft combat, which isn't what we want to do. We want a mixture of both ground combat using futuristic troops/weapons and space combat.

(Also this campaign, while being a genuinely interesting and serious thing to play, will probably poke a LOT of fun at itself and other space/sci-fi themed games. I don't think Spacenoth would appreciate our sense of humor.)
Wrong spacenoth has his spacecraft fighting figuerd out and is now moving on to ground combat see this for reference and the terran ground units are allready done.

But he now I even more look forward to the campaign. Space humor love it :lol:

Greetz,

Diekil
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

At first glance, you might run into problems designing a campaign based on a copyrighted source like Spelljammer...
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Blueblaze

Post by Blueblaze »

Oh, by the way, you can't use Spelljammer's information if it is copywritted, and it appears if it is, you'll actually have to be original and make it yourself :p
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

o_O which is exactly what i just said, except you don't seem to be able to spell copyRIGHTed - copyright is about the right to copy work, not anything to do with writing.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
ILikeProgramming

Post by ILikeProgramming »

It seems that you are talking about Spacenoth without really knowing what it is, so let me post a little description.

Spacenoth is a futuristic game with 5 factions (Terrans/humans, Pirates, Arakaan, Iildarii, and Vendeeni) Each of the factions already has small fighter-type units, and two of them have capital-ship scale units. The terrans also have ground units, and two more factions have ground art nearly finished.

As for terrain, it has space, starbase, planets, asteroids, and other space terrains. It also has a full set of lunar ground terrain.

Furthermore I'm not sure Spacenoth goes any deeper into space combat than spacecraft combat, which isn't what we want to do. We want a mixture of both ground combat using futuristic troops/weapons and space combat.
Like I said before, Spacenoth has three levels of combat: capital ships, fighter ships, and ground units.

If you'd like to know more about Spacenoth, visit the forum at http://exong.net/spacenoth/forum/ or downloadthe demo.

Otherwise, good luck making your own campaign.
Eyecard

Post by Eyecard »

ILikeProgramming wrote:It seems that you are talking about Spacenoth without really knowing what it is, so let me post a little description.
Thanks for enlightening me somewhat. My only experience with Spacenoth is playing the demo, and from what you're saying, there's a lot more that isn't in there. All the same, we don't like leaving behind fantasy elements entirely, and so we'll probably go with Spelljammer. As for those who say it's all copyrighted, there are a number of fanbased projects to convert it from 2nd ed DnD to 3rd, all sanctioned by WoTC, and according to them, it took minimal effort to get preliminary go-aheads. Plus, in a not-for-profit environment, like Wesnoth, copyright law is easy to get around.
There is only now.
There is only us.