Invasion from the Unknown (1.9.99) for Wesnoth 1.4

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Version 0.9.2 is out!

Get it at http://shadowm2006.sitesled.com/Invasio ... nknown.zip, or at the campaign server, as soon as Myth gets to upload it there. The same music pack of the older version is to be used.

And I removed the beta status for 1.0. I decided to undefine 1.0's deadline because of various reasons. Yet, did you know that I have been working on this campaign from 9:00 AM to 4:00 AM (sleeping only 5 hours!) lately? Well, now you know. =)

But, why am I releasing a new version so soon? I'm not completely sure, but I think it goes along these lines...

- Players can recruit and recall normally on boss scenarios for the first turn. Any unit that is recruited or recalled becomes loyal for the lasting of boss scenarios only.

- Scenario 22 ('Under the Sands') is more interesting now that the secret room's object works. It's up to you to find it, though. What does the object do? I don't know, again it's up to you to learn how to use it. =) All I can say is that it rocks in programming terms, but sucks gameplay-wise.

- Units were updated to match the mainline AMLA conventions for 1.3.13. Note however that this does not break compatibility with 1.3.12 except that most max-level units will require 150 XP to get the Max_HP +3 AMLA, instead of the former standard 100.

- Units were updated to use new animation conventions for 1.3.13. This does not break compatibility with 1.3.12 and 1.3.13, but it would introduce glitches on them anyway; thus I recommend you to use 1.3.13 or later if you can.

- Playtested with SVN trunk build at revision 22744.

- Spoiler warning! Bosses are no longer separate units. As you might have noticed, before this release they were special stronger and tougher variations of their regular counterparts, a level higher too. This was made by defining their own units at UnitsWML level. Now that is no longer used. Bosses are regular units with a special trait applied to make them tougher, stronger and a level higher from their regulars. This introduces an interesting side-effect on game's help that is absolutely intended.

- Elvish Guard no longer haves Steadfast.

- Fixed the blocker bug on scenario 4, probably.

- Fixed the blocker bug on scenario 25-30, probably (play from scenario 23's 'Lands of Chaos' end or 24's 'The Heart' beginning to check).

Some units that might be on your recall list at this very moment are scheduled for removal in the next release, 0.10.0. However, I predict that removing them and allowing you to use old saved games will cause the game to complain (spec. some unit_type objects won't exist, and the game needs them to spawn units from a stored player unit list). Thus, on release 0.10.0 I'm renaming the campaign preprocessor symbols to avoid this and other conflicts. As a side-effect, your saved games will become completely invalid and you'll be forced to restart the campaign.

Uploaded to WesCamp-i18n, with hopefully up-to-date translations of:

* French: Zoltic
* Italian: Brivido
* Spanish: Shadow Master

If I forgot anyone, please let me know! Thanks.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
gnurob

Post by gnurob »

Wow, what a campaign so far! Keep it up!

I just downloaded the campaign from the server along with a SVN copy of Wesnoth 1.3. In the Broken Heart scenario the program crashes during the dialog triggered after finding the (assuming) stage one exit. Its a show stopper as far as finishing the whole campaign. :-(

Running "wesnoth &" captures this error on the command line:

Code: Select all

wesnoth-1.3-svn: menu_events.cpp:1743: void events::menu_handler::move_unit_to_loc(const unit_map::const_iterator&, const gamemap::location&, bool, unsigned int, events::mouse_handler&): Assertion `ui != units_.end()' failed.
Lord Of Weapons And Magic

Tnx

Post by Lord Of Weapons And Magic »

Thanks!, i usally edit my posts if i can to not over load the Forum, and im gonna to pass you an a PM soon as i download your new Version, i hope that you have fixed the Bug, that eliminates the recruit list after the Scenario that you escape from the Caves.
[PA] NotUncleDave

Post by [PA] NotUncleDave »

After downloading the new version, and replaying scenario 3, it still crashes when loading the next scenario.

The file you have tried to load is corrupt, or something...
Lord Of Weapons And Magic

Post by Lord Of Weapons And Magic »

[PA] NotUncleDave wrote:After downloading the new version, and replaying scenario 3, it still crashes when loading the next scenario.

I asume that you are Playing with the 1.3.13 version of wesnoth development branch, well it an stupid CORE BUG ENINGE! :shock: , well change to 1.3.12 or may be to 1.3.11, if you play on 1.3.12 you cant! quit in middle tex Scenarios, since a bug of this branch (1.3.12) since the unit whenever that they are are under leveled and any unit that tries to tañk, well alreday has been eliminated, so i go for 1.3.11.
Campaing Works until infested pass on the 2nd turn it freezes over (no demon units are present on the pass), the Bug that eliminates your recruit list, isnt working anymore so thanks! and i m gonna to pass you the new version of my ideas for the sequel.

UPDATE: playing in wesnoth 1.3.12 (the people havent launched the las version of Wesnoth for Mac OSX, i hope that still is compatible with Mac 1.3.9 )
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Lord Of Weapons And Magic wrote:
[PA] NotUncleDave wrote:After downloading the new version, and replaying scenario 3, it still crashes when loading the next scenario.

I asume that you are Playing with the 1.3.13 version of wesnoth development branch, well it an stupid CORE BUG ENINGE! :shock:
Alright, NotUncleDave, read carefully my reply.

I have play-tested this campaign's 0.9.2 with Wesnoth 1.3.13+SVN, a revision that was close to tagged 1.3.14, thus, can be considered 1.3.14 in most aspects that are relevant to this subject.

Play-tested scenarios 1-18: no crashes or other awful issues with my home-made build (GNU/Linux - OpenSUSE 10.3 x86, custom kernel "blackcore1"; and GNU/Linux - OpenSUSE 10.3 x86_64, default kernel "default"). That didn't happen to me either with 1.3.12 or 1.3.11. I have not tested 1.3.13, however, and I won't, because any bugs in there would be absent in 1.3.14 given that a later SVN revision had no bugs like those you mention.

Therefore, NotUncleDave, I cannot help you unless you are using 1.3.14 or 1.3.13+svn r22880, or 1.3.12, or 1.3.11, which are the releases/svn revisions I tested. Please give me this info before we blame Wesnoth's engine.

Lord of Weapons and Magic: your recruitment bug on scenario 14 is not affecting me on the mentioned releases, either. If you are using Windows, I hope you did not install over the same Wesnoth directory without uninstalling the prior Wesnoth version first. If you are using Linux... I assume we all Linux users have enough experience not to make this kind of mistakes, don't we?

Now, on to a proper bug report:
gnurob wrote:Wow, what a campaign so far! Keep it up!

I just downloaded the campaign from the server along with a SVN copy of Wesnoth 1.3. In the Broken Heart scenario the program crashes during the dialog triggered after finding the (assuming) stage one exit. Its a show stopper as far as finishing the whole campaign. :-(

Running "wesnoth &" captures this error on the command line:

wesnoth-1.3-svn: menu_events.cpp:1743: void events::menu_handler::move_unit_to_loc(const unit_map::const_iterator&, const gamemap::location&, bool, unsigned int, events::mouse_handler&): Assertion `ui != units_.end()' failed.
I admit I haven't made it to that scenario yet (shame on me), but I'll cheat to get there before releasing 0.10.0 and check the problem. Something smells like the engine tries to move or teleport an unit that does not exist on the map (I suspect it could be Igor...).
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Invasion from the Unknown: Armageddon - README
----------------------------------------------

Hullo! It is time for a new major maintenance release, and this means that Version 0.10.0 is out!

Oh yeah, 0.10. Many of you probably thought that I'd bring version 1.0 instead, but I didn't. Why? Because there are still many details to improve or fix, left in my TO-DO list. This includes artwork and WML to be optimized, polished, etc.

But now, let's check the main changes for this version

The Good:
  • Eric S. Raymond (esr), who has already given me valuable help with wmllint, has started to revise the english texts of this campaign. This means that the redaction fixes employment is now occupied. Sorry about that. :P But he's the best at this, and that is why it's also his job (or seems to be, as far as I witnessed) to revise campaigns that are going to be mainlined.
  • Many graphics were updated by Shadow Master
  • There are some surprises you'll discover in the way
  • Many scenarios were re-balanced in favour of the player
  • Elvish Guards have been made more useful now, as they have the Protection ability.
  • Elvish Spirits have been made more useful now, as they have the Draining ability. This was a last-hour decission I made shortly before packaging.
  • Many unused WML and WML macros were removed. Hopefully this increases performance a bit under heavy debugging operation (i.e. --log-debug=all passed) and on low-end machines. Note however, that scenarios 12, 14 and 16 uncannily take some extra time to load on my Intel Pentium 4 2.96 GHz machine. Uncanny.
  • Possibly fixed various awful AI behaviors in some scenarios
  • Elynia's traits were changed from 'Resilient,strong' to 'Resilient,dextrous' to avoid overpowering the player in melee attacks.
  • Optimized scenario 15, "The Aragwaithi", and probably fixed a bug that caused Wesnoth to crash on a player's system (Wesnoth 1.3.13, Win32 build, IIRC). Note that I have not been able, nor before or after the fix, to reproduce this bug on my Linux builds of 1.3.12, 1.3.13 and 1.3.13+SVN r22885. I guess that Windows' build has some faulty memory routine in there...
The Bad:
  • Many scenarios were re-balanced against the player
  • Shadow Master attempted to balance many foes. The result: nightmare. ;) No, seriously speaking, most balancing was done for de-overpowering existing units.
  • The scenario "Welcome to the Lair" has been made harder for you on all difficulties. I'm not telling any spoilers here, but you'll have some new obstacles to fight now.
  • In Scenarios 27 and 28 (Interim, Welc. to the Lair), the Kagthanus matrix parts are no longer NPCs. This means that, albeit they cannot move from their initial hexes, they will attack you if you happen to be in an adjacent hex when their turn starts.
  • Graphics for the Elvish Hunter attack might be missing in Wesnoth 1.3.12 and 1.3.11. Known bug which I won't fix.
  • However, since Wesnoth 1.4 beta-1 # 1.3.14 has been released already, I expect all of you to be using that release instead. If you aren't, this campaign was not guaranteed to work properly for you anyway.
  • NOTE: this version has been play-tested with Wesnoth trunk revision 22885 (hours close to tagged 1.3.14) only.
And the Ugly:
(a.k.a. 'Why you have to play this campaign from the very start again')
  • Removed the L3 Ghast that was originally imported from Descent into Darkness.
  • The campaign's internal id and loader symbol were modified to match the standards, and to fit the now well-known name of this campaign (that was likely to change in the beginning). This means that all your old saved-games become invalid with this release. I strongly recommend you not to update if you don't want to play from the beginning, all over again.
  • WML was optimized in various parts. The difference should be noticeable only on low-end machines, or under heavy debugging sessions (i.e. you are using --log-debug=all or --log-debug=config, for the least)
  • Bugfixing in the english texts and optimization of strings may break some translated strings
Thanks again to our translators:
  • Catalan: ??? (not confirmed yet)
  • Italian: Brivido
  • French: Zoltic
  • German: ??? (not confirmed yet)
  • Spanish: Shadow Master
Thanks to our maintainers:
  • Shadow Master (development)
  • ShikadiLord (bugfixing, releases)
  • Mythological (releases)
  • Torangan (WesCamp-i18n translations repo)
The campaign should be uploaded to the 1.3.x campaign server soon. If it doesn't appear during the following three days, ask Mythological, not me. :)

NOTE on scenario 16, "Dealing with Orcs":
- Feel free to use :n to skip this scenario. I'll not give any further clues, tho.

I'm attaching a TO-DO list of this campaign for the interested.

NOTE2: The Changelog, TODO and README are not being published with this campaign on the official campaign server to save space. From now on they are published on my web server. Yeah, the server; at the moment I don't have a real webpage. :P

---
Um, writing this stuff around 04:00 AM might be compromising each release_notes' quality... :P
---
END OF RECORDED MESSAGE.

gnurob: please tell me what revision of svn you were using when the crash happened. Also, which unit did you move and to what location? I tested with r22880 and no crash happened when moving Elynia to the teleport zone. I cannot test with r23135 (HEAD atm) because it won't compile for me due to some linkage problems, and I still have to download and apply the 1.3.14 XDelta.
Attachments
TODO.zip
Golden TODO list
(2.25 KiB) Downloaded 235 times
gnurob

Post by gnurob »

Shadow Master wrote:gnurob: please tell me what revision of svn you were using when the crash happened. Also, which unit did you move and to what location? I tested with r22880 and no crash happened when moving Elynia to the teleport zone. I cannot test with r23135 (HEAD atm) because it won't compile for me due to some linkage problems, and I still have to download and apply the 1.3.14 XDelta.
I started using svn last week. This appears to be the information you are looking for, if not I can check again:

user@host:~/Source/wesnoth-svn> svn info
Path: .
URL: http://svn.gna.org/svn/wesnoth/trunk
Repository Root: http://svn.gna.org/svn/wesnoth
Repository UUID: 75b3775d-3801-0410-9e12-e2e43121521d
Revision: 22895
Node Kind: directory
Schedule: normal
Last Changed Author: esr
Last Changed Rev: 22895
Last Changed Date: 2008-01-11 19:11:08 -0330 (Fri, 11 Jan 2008)
Considering the amount of activity this campaign is receiving (and possibly because ESR waved his magic wand at it), I will play through again. Would you prefer r22895, or current (I'm keeping my 1.3.13 in another directory because 1.3.14 doesn't like missing map headers).

Awesome job everyone.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

ESR revised the old scenario 2, and scenarios 1 and 3. He hasn't got time to revise others yet.

And you should always play with latest svn. 1.3.14 serves too anyway. :)

I don't think my campaign is missing map headers. If you find any deprecated WML messages and you are 100% sure it comes from my campaign, tell me! Thanks. :)

You can also shut up Wesnoth about old maps by switching configuration/UMC dirs in the configure/autogen.sh with --with-preferences-dir, if you want to use different versions/SVN revisions in the same machine. Then, you can move UMC around to config dirs of compatible releases.
db0

Post by db0 »

I played the first two scenarios and i must say that it looks really nice.

Well done! I can't wait to see the rest.
Sarudak

Post by Sarudak »

I can't seem to get it to start it seems to start. It seems to be missing the main cfg file that allows the game to recognize it as a campaign... :(

And on an unrelated not can anyone tell me why I keep getting this: Invalid Session. Please resubmit the form.
Espreon
Inactive Developer

Post by Espreon »

Sarudak wrote:I can't seem to get it to start it seems to start. It seems to be missing the main cfg file that allows the game to recognize it as a campaign... :(

And on an unrelated not can anyone tell me why I keep getting this: Invalid Session. Please resubmit the form.
Which version of BfW are you using? SM recommends (I believe) using the latest version of IftU on BfW 1.3.14.
gnurob

Post by gnurob »

Shadow Master wrote:I don't think my campaign is missing map headers.
Yours isn't. Unfortunately it seems support for maps without headers was dropped in 1.3.14 and that killed 2 out of 3 campaigns on the server (thats why I keep 1.3.13 handy).
Shadow Master wrote:You can also shut up Wesnoth about old maps by switching configuration/UMC dirs in the configure/autogen.sh with --with-preferences-dir, if you want to use different versions/SVN revisions in the same machine. Then, you can move UMC around to config dirs of compatible releases.
I'm running multiple installations in separate directories. What you're suggest sounds different but I don't fully understand. Something to research another time. Thanks for the tip. :-)

P.S. I am updating from SVN as I write this, and planning on starting the campaign again sometime this weekend.
ivbeg

Help with "Welcome to the Lair"

Post by ivbeg »

It looks like enemies are coming forever and ever. I have turn 143 and enemy boss still doesn't appear. Is it bug or something?

I use wesnoth version 1.3.14 and scenario version 0.10.0
Espreon
Inactive Developer

Re: Help with "Welcome to the Lair"

Post by Espreon »

ivbeg wrote:It looks like enemies are coming forever and ever. I have turn 143 and enemy boss still doesn't appear. Is it bug or something?

I use wesnoth version 1.3.14 and scenario version 0.10.0
I appear to have this problem too, I gave up as of turn 60 something...