Invasion from the Unknown (1.9.99) for Wesnoth 1.4

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Sky

Re: Invasion from the Unknown (1.0.12) for Wesnoth 1.4

Post by Sky »

I'm playing the campaign again from the start and so far I like the changes you did.
But one thing I noticed is that when the undead elven spirits are hit, it doesn't show red numbers for how much they were hit (That led me to believe they were indestructible, but their death proved me wrong :D ).
Also, the lone coffin in the map Errand of Hope is just begging to add something to it(maybe an item when you open it or undead servant that will join you when you come to it with the lich).
And one more thing, when I see the stats of all my units in the Wesnoth help file, I see several same unit names in the advances from list. Id guess that it counts all the possible combinations of traits on units as a different unit and therefore shows more than one unit of the same kind.
These bugs are still present in the newest version of your campaign 1.0.12(although the downloaded file was named 1.0.11 and the changelog in the zipped file also had 1.0.11 as the latest version).
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Sky wrote:I'm playing the campaign again from the start and so far I like the changes you did.
But one thing I noticed is that when the undead elven spirits are hit, it doesn't show red numbers for how much they were hit (That led me to believe they were indestructible, but their death proved me wrong :D ).
Also, the lone coffin in the map Errand of Hope is just begging to add something to it(maybe an item when you open it or undead servant that will join you when you come to it with the lich).
And one more thing, when I see the stats of all my units in the Wesnoth help file, I see several same unit names in the advances from list. Id guess that it counts all the possible combinations of traits on units as a different unit and therefore shows more than one unit of the same kind.
These bugs are still present in the newest version of your campaign 1.0.12(although the downloaded file was named 1.0.11 and the changelog in the zipped file also had 1.0.11 as the latest version).
Right, it is version 1.0.11. Version 1.0.12 hasn't been released yet.
Combinations of recruitment costs, actually.
Oh yes, I almost forgot about that coffin.
I have not been able to get a reproducible case for filing a bug; it seems to be engine-related, since the unit is pretty similar to the mainline ghost in terms of code.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Sky

Post by Sky »

In The Source of Light, if you let the Lich wait for another 2 turns after he located the glyphs, the dialog that he found them will start again and the objective window will open again and show the objectives.
Iris
Site Administrator

Re: Invasion from the Unknown (1.0.11) for Wesnoth 1.4

Post by Iris »

Thanks, I'll fix it. In other news, I've just fixed the forum thread's title. Sorry about mentioning a yet-not-released version in there.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
necroelf

Post by necroelf »

Hello everyone... I think I have found a bug: during the mission "IftU - An Errand of Hope" when one tries to put a unit on (or beyond) "21,23" (the "Ruin,Castle" exagon) the game displays a error message: " Error while playing the game: Unknown unit type 'Troll Rcoklobber' " and the game exits from the mission and loads the main menu :(
I'm sorry for my bad english... :P

By the way great Campaign!
:D
sam_waz_here

Post by sam_waz_here »

On the second last mission when you are meant to use the union to kill the boss. (The one that had the roof come down on them.) I used my 1000 health berserk dread bat to kill them then they respwned a spaceback so I killed them twice more and their respawn worked its way back to the outer ring of the lava. This meant that the union couldn't reach them and they couldn't get back into the arena. I know that you probably aren't meant to kill the boss that many times but it is possible so I think there should be some way that if they get killed over lava rather then going further out they respawn in the middle of the arena.

Also when I finished the epilogue if you will it said error broken hearts missing or something and cut to the main screen, if that was the end a "the end" would have been nice.

Also for the objective of the last level instead of saying end his evilness just say: end his evil reign or reign of terror.
PS sorry if this has been said before.
Where is the love?
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

I was looking through IftU's code for ideas, and I noticed that, in terrain-graphics/_final.cfg,

Code: Select all

{SHEX                         ("*^Zse") "overlay" 100 "dark-gate-se:60000")}
{SHEX                         ("*^Zsw") "overlay" 100 "dark-gate-sw:60000")}
should be

Code: Select all

{SHEX                         ("*^Zse") "overlay" 100 "dark-gate-se"}
{SHEX                         ("*^Zsw") "overlay" 100 "dark-gate-sw"}
to avoid using the image as an animation (you had an extra right parenthesis). However, your WML skills are quite impressive!
"ILLEGITIMIS NON CARBORUNDUM"

Father of Flight to Freedom
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/FlightToFreedom
Wizzy

Post by Wizzy »

i encountered the same error as necroelf. Would appreciate if someone could tell me where i can fix that :/
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

I'll publish a new revision later today, with the bug noted above fixed, amongst others.

MadMax: I'll fix that. It's a left over from before I used the SHEX macro and the village image layout for the doors.
ShikadiQueen

Post by ShikadiQueen »

sam_waz_here wrote:On the second last mission when you are meant to use the union to kill the boss. (The one that had the roof come down on them.) I used my 1000 health berserk dread bat to kill them then they respwned a spaceback so I killed them twice more and their respawn worked its way back to the outer ring of the lava. This meant that the union couldn't reach them and they couldn't get back into the arena. I know that you probably aren't meant to kill the boss that many times but it is possible so I think there should be some way that if they get killed over lava rather then going further out they respawn in the middle of the arena.

Also when I finished the epilogue if you will it said error broken hearts missing or something and cut to the main screen, if that was the end a "the end" would have been nice.

Also for the objective of the last level instead of saying end his evilness just say: end his evil reign or reign of terror.
PS sorry if this has been said before.
1. Good catch. We never thought of such a border case in which Elyssa would respawn in an unreachable hex to Elynia and/or Mal Keshar. We'll fix it.

2. You haven't even got to the epilogue. The issue has been fixed for the next release.

3. We'll consult ESR regarding that one.

About the issue reported by necroelf, to fix it, edit scenarios/08a_Errand_of_Hope.cfg and replace all instances of "Rcoklobber" with "Rocklobber" (small typo, isn't it?), preserving case. If you can't do this yourself, wait for the new release today.
I got better!
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Release 1.0.12 is out! For real; 1.0.11 was labelled 1.0.12 in the forum announcement, although the external tarball and the campaign server distribution were both labelled 1.0.11 from outside and inside the box. Sorry about that.

This is, again, not a release of hot and big changes, except for a major bugfix in one of the latter scenarios. This is the summary of the changes brought to you in this version:
  • Fixed a reference to inexistent scenario id. in the cutscene that takes part after "Welcome to the Lair", which caused the game to end prematurely.(1)
  • L1 Elvish Hunter has got a full set of animation frames, which they were lacking both for the female and male variations.
  • Some minor tweaks to Elynia's and Death Baron's animation frames were made; both sets are still uncomplete and far from required quality, though.
  • Some new foes were added to latter scenarios.
  • Some WML variables clean-up was added to certain scenarios, reducing saved games' size a bit (i.e. one-three lines); just a convention compliance change.
  • As per request, mission objectives for scenario 9, "The Library", were clarified.
  • Hopefully fixed the reported bug in scenario 10, "The Source of Light", related to Mal Keshar's seeking for the glyphs.
  • Some latter scenarios were balanced and/or minor visual tweaks were made to them. Also, the AI players are now substantially more aggressive.
  • Added missing ability halo to Master of Darkness.
  • Balanced Chaos Lore's attack strength.
  • Optimized some WML chunks.
  • Updated place-holder portraits and map graphics, amongst others.
(1): Due to such major bugfix, it is strongly recommended that you upgrade before reporting bugs.

The bug reporting instructions located in the BUGS.txt file were updated, and a known bug was added. Also, a non-bug was added, but I quote it here nevertheless since I have noted a common misunderstanding of the gameplay of this campaign, which I thought was obvious for anyone who would get past the first enemy boss:
Shadow Master wrote:Some scenarios, specially of the last part, contain enemies that may respawn indefinitely if you try (mistakenly) to defeat them. Please, bear in mind that as a general rule for this campaign, you are not supposed to defeat all enemies unless the objectives summary clearly states so. Attempting to do so may get you stuck in some scenarios.
If you download(ed) play this campaign thinking "kill, get gold, kill", then you are horribly mistaken and I'd advice you to go to play another campaign or one of those typical battle arenas/scenarios for MP. I'm also adding part of this information to the formerly-removed warning screen at the start of the campaign.

This campaign was tested and developed with Wesnoth 1.4.

Now, go to play and enjoy!

P.S.: if you wonder why I have not written long and cheesy announcements lately, well, it is because the last ones seemed to be ignored by everybody; therefore I'm no longer wasting time on writing text that no one reads.

P.S.2: and addressed the bugs reported by necroelf, MadMax and sam_waz_here.

P.S.3: A small bug, though, is that the external website download doesn't include translations. For the time being, if you want translations, download through the campaign server. I'll address this minor issue for the next release.

P.S.4: Feeding ability was removed from the Dread Bat, by the way.
Espreon
Inactive Developer

Post by Espreon »

Shadow Master wrote:P.S.4: Feeding ability was removed from the Dread Bat, by the way.
No! Why did you do it? I liked having bats with 400 HP! ;)
ShikadiQueen

Post by ShikadiQueen »

We weren't shipping translations due to technical issues we have just discussed with Mordante. We'll publish a critical revision soon.
I got better!
Iris
Site Administrator

Re: Invasion from the Unknown (1.0.13) for Wesnoth 1.4

Post by Iris »

Published 1.0.13. The version on the campaign server does include translations, even though the external tarball doesn't include them.
ulissesroc

Re: Invasion from the Unknown (1.0.13) for Wesnoth 1.4

Post by ulissesroc »

But why there are no bonus if you kill the 3 enemy leaders on the second scenario? I thought that, since it's the heroic part, you should get some rewards other than experience..