Abandoned Add-ons - Need Maintainers - Open to Anyone

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

SkyOne

Re: Abandoned Campaigns - Need Maintainers - Open to Anyone

Post by SkyOne »

Well, this is just a note.

The campaigns that are listed here:
http://add-ons.wesnoth.org/1.8/
http://add-ons.wesnoth.org/1.6/
http://add-ons.wesnoth.org/1.4/

But not listed here:
http://add-ons.wesnoth.org/1.10/
http://add-ons.wesnoth.org/1.12/

Those are generally considered as abandoned campaigns.

These are my quick picks of good ones (alphabetical order) for players:

• Some people have been waiting for author's return;
- "Sceptre of Life" by OSJ (opensourcejunkie) from 1.6 (this is complicated one to update, though)

• Elvish campaign;
- "Struggle For Freedom" by WYRMY from 1.6

• Saurian campaign (unfinished, AFaIK);
- "The Forgotten Legacy" by Db0 from 1.4

• Era of Myths campaign;
- "War of the Dragon" by Velensk from 1.6 (Velensk is an active user)

Of course, there are more. :)
Fate of a Princess/feedback thread: "What is in own heart that is the most important, not who you are."
Drake Campaign: Brave Wings/feedback thread, Naga Campaign: Return of the Monster, Saurian Campaign: Across the Ocean
Northern Forces - now on 1.12 server
ElvishThunderer

Post by ElvishThunderer »

Thank you for the list! So if I am interested in one of them, do I pm the author? Or how does that work? Sorry for the noob question :P
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

ElvishThunderer wrote:if I am interested in one of them, do I pm the author?
Under GPL, you don't really have to, but better to do as a politeness. :)
Fate of a Princess/feedback thread: "What is in own heart that is the most important, not who you are."
Drake Campaign: Brave Wings/feedback thread, Naga Campaign: Return of the Monster, Saurian Campaign: Across the Ocean
Northern Forces - now on 1.12 server
Adamant14

Post by Adamant14 »

Maybe this link is helpful too: Guide to UMC Content
Author of Antar, Son of Rheor ( SP Campaign) | Development Thread + Feedback Thread + Replays of ASoR
ElvishThunderer

Post by ElvishThunderer »

@SkyOne
Thank you for the clarification. I'll most likely pm the author once I decide on one I would like just to be polite.

@Adamant14
Thank you for the additional info. I'll have to take a look at it. :)
szopen

Post by szopen »

Hi,

I lost the password to the ANO, and I need to remove ANO_music package due to licensing issues reported by one of music creators (The ANO THEME have to be removed from the package). Whom should I contact, or can someone just remove the package?

EDIT: Did I mentioned ANO (a new order) is abandoned?
"Even when the Slav is gay the effort is often evident" -- P. R. RADOSAVLJEVICH
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Unless you would prefer them to be permanently deleted (along with their stats), just drop me a private message including the add-on name(s), server instance(s) they are hosted on, and the new passphrase(s) you want for the add-ons.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
pyrophorus

Post by pyrophorus »

szopen wrote: EDIT: Did I mentioned ANO (a new order) is abandoned?
Yes, you did...
I will take care of porting it to 1.12 if nobody jumps on it. It's a great campaign in my opinion and it would be a pity to let it fall (just as Swamplings).

Friendly,
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

I am porting Swamplings for 1.10 / 1.12 and I am mostly done. Just to let you know.
pyrophorus

Post by pyrophorus »

Dugi wrote:I am porting Swamplings for 1.10 / 1.12 and I am mostly done. Just to let you know.
Fine...
I'll send you the fr translation Boru hadn't the time to include in last version.
Friendly,
MerlinCross

Post by MerlinCross »

How does one even begin to update/port these from the older versions of the game?
Groggy_Dice
Inactive Developer

Post by Groggy_Dice »

MerlinCross wrote:How does one even begin to update/port these from the older versions of the game?
Wesnoth does have some Python-based tools to partially automate the task of upgrading and debugging old content. These have often gone unused because many people these days are unfamiliar with the command line, but for 1.12, Elvish Hunter wrote a GUI frontend for them. Hopefully this will make these tools more accessible.

To use them, you need:
  • Wesnoth's data/tools folder Normally this would come with the game, but some Linux distros split them out into their own package.
  • Python 2.7 (NOT Python 3) Mac OS X and almost all Linux distros will come with Python (though if your installation is really decrepit, it could possibly still be on 2.6). Windows users will probably have to download it from python.org.
If you have these, go to data/tools and click on GUI.pyw.

The main tool involved in porting is wmllint. Here are some incomplete notes on using GUI.pyw that I'm working on for the wiki:
Spoiler:
Now, some of the warnings that wmllint gives are false positives, so don't trust it blindly.
Ports:
Prudence (Josh Roby) | By the Sword (monochromatic) | The Eight of Cembulad (Lintana~ & WYRMY)
Resources:
UMC Timeline (Dec) | List of Unported UMC (Dec) | wmllint++ (Feb)
pyndragon

Post by pyndragon »

The North Wind is now ported from 1.8 → 1.12.

Note: Porting from close versions like these is pretty easy as long as the campaign isn't too complex; don't be afraid to jump in and look at porting a campaign you used to enjoy!
AKA pydsigner
Current maintainer of The North Wind and author of Heroics Mode.
jmh

Post by jmh »

pyndragon wrote:The North Wind is now ported from 1.8 → 1.12.

Note: Porting from close versions like these is pretty easy as long as the campaign isn't too complex; don't be afraid to jump in and look at porting a campaign you used to enjoy!
[Edit -- this may be a bad post -- first time pulling down Add-on campaigns and my have gotten the 1.8 version! :oops: Yes, just pulled to 1.12 port and everything is good! Sorry for the errors. ]
I just updated from 1.10.7 to 1.12.4 and pulled down The North Wind and ran into some minor issues - mostly typos that I corrected and got the scenario to load. The terrain graphic config file was actually name with a hyphen rather than the underscore so that was a simple fix. The macro TWELFTHHOUR had a an extra H (three in the name) which was causing problems -- the id also had some errant character in it as well but I forget what it was (and might not matter, don't know about that).

The first issue to show was actually the line:

Code: Select all

{TRANSITION_BASE_L     Tr               (!,Tr)                      -300               path}
in terrain_graphic.cfg. I've not figured that one out so just commented it out -- which may then break something later - I'll find out as I play.

Finally, once through the intro text and the map and units are displayed I'm seeing a warning about [target] being a depreciated tag. I've not started looking that up yet either.

If anyone is working on maintenance and scenario development for this story I wouldn't mind helping out -- but it will be a big learning process for me so I'll probably not be too productive ;)
pyndragon

Post by pyndragon »

jmh wrote:
pyndragon wrote:The North Wind is now ported from 1.8 → 1.12.

[Edit -- this may be a bad post -- first time pulling down Add-on campaigns and my have gotten the 1.8 version! :oops: Yes, just pulled to 1.12 port and everything is good! Sorry for the errors. ]
I just updated from 1.10.7 to 1.12.4 and pulled down The North Wind and ran into some minor issues - mostly typos that I corrected and got the scenario to load. The terrain graphic config file was actually name with a hyphen rather than the underscore so that was a simple fix. The macro TWELFTHHOUR had a an extra H (three in the name) which was causing problems -- the id also had some errant character in it as well but I forget what it was (and might not matter, don't know about that).

The first issue to show was actually the line:

Code: Select all

{TRANSITION_BASE_L     Tr               (!,Tr)                      -300               path}
in terrain_graphic.cfg. I've not figured that one out so just commented it out -- which may then break something later - I'll find out as I play.

Finally, once through the intro text and the map and units are displayed I'm seeing a warning about [target] being a depreciated tag. I've not started looking that up yet either.

If anyone is working on maintenance and scenario development for this story I wouldn't mind helping out -- but it will be a big learning process for me so I'll probably not be too productive ;)
Yes, it sounds like you got the 1.8 edition as those are bugs that I already fixed. The terrain_graphic.cfg was the hardest thing to convert for me, but I did a Google search for the macro and was able to find a campaign that had used it and what it had been converted to — and then I removed it anyways :P
I am maintaining and working on the 1.12 version, if you'd like to weigh in I suggest looking at the current forum thread. At this point what's available on the server is just the 1.12 conversion with old bugs fixed.
AKA pydsigner
Current maintainer of The North Wind and author of Heroics Mode.