Abandoned Add-ons - Need Maintainers - Open to Anyone

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Me_the_Third

Re: Abandoned Campaigns - Need Maintainers - Open to Anyone

Post by Me_the_Third »

Should the undead branch from Northern Rebirth be included here?
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

Me_the_Third wrote:Should the undead branch from Northern Rebirth be included here?
certainly not
branches of campaigns cannot be maintained independently from the rest of the campaign
projects (BfW 1.12):
A Simple Campaign: campaign draft for wml startersPlan Your Advancements: mp mod
The Earth's Gut: sp campaignSettlers of Wesnoth: mp scenarioWesnoth Lua Pack: lua tags and utils
updated to 1.8 and handed over: A Gryphon's Tale: sp campaign
Hylje

Post by Hylje »

While branches can't be taken over, the main campaign's resident maintainer can accept collaboration with that branch's maintenance. There should not be a hard distinction between a full abandoned campaign and an abandoned branch, because they are largely identical in concept and implementation.
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

NR is mainline. It's maintained by all the devs together.
If it's not well-maintained currently...that's probably due to the fact that it's not played very often. Improvement suggestions and bug reports are welcome in the according threads, however.
There should not be a hard distinction between a full abandoned campaign and an abandoned branch, because they are largely identical in concept and implementation.
Sorry that's nonsense.
I don't know NR in particular, but think of commonly used macros and all that.
projects (BfW 1.12):
A Simple Campaign: campaign draft for wml startersPlan Your Advancements: mp mod
The Earth's Gut: sp campaignSettlers of Wesnoth: mp scenarioWesnoth Lua Pack: lua tags and utils
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

On the 1.6 add-ons server there is a campaign that I liked. It is called A Rough Life. I noticed that it isn't yet ported to the 1.8 server, so I tried to send a PM to Jacques_Fol (the original author), but it was never delivered (it's still stuck in my Outbox folder). I don't know when he last logged in, and his latest message was posted on January 23rd, 2010, more than 6 months ago. Does anybody mind if I upload an updated and bugfixed version to the 1.8 server? Obviously, should he reappear, I'm ready to send him my passphrase.
Current maintainer of these add-ons, all on 1.16:
The Sojournings of Grog, Children of Dragons, A Rough Life, Wesnoth Lua Pack, The White Troll (co-author)
orondf

Post by orondf »

Hi,
I am interested in maintaining Elvish Legacy, which hasn't been updated since Jan 28 2009 and is in the 1.4 addon server.
Can anyone tell me who to contact?
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

orondf wrote:Can anyone tell me who to contact?
Try to send a PM to Longbow, the original author :)
The Sojournings of Grog, Children of Dragons, A Rough Life, Wesnoth Lua Pack, The White Troll (co-author)
Kapoue_II

Post by Kapoue_II »

Any campaigns I can pick up and complete stuff up? It seems like a good a way bas any to pick up new wml techniques.
Limabean

Post by Limabean »

you could try finishing Forgotten Kingdom. It's a campaign about orcs/trolls, and I got about 3/4 of the way through it (11 scenarios) before my motivation broke. I'd love to see it finished. :)

pretty basic wml, as I didn't know much at the time.
PM me if you're interested.
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

Kapoue_II wrote:Any campaigns I can pick up and complete stuff up? It seems like a good a way bas any to pick up new wml techniques.
Under GPL, the answer is yes.
You can even take a campaign which has been maintained as well by original author, then, maintain it yourself.
However, it is not a respectable way here. As a polite way, what you ought to do is to pick up a campaign which seems to be abandoned for a while, then, try to contact the original author or the last maintainer as much as possible to take over the campaign. I think the best thing is: to pick up a campaign which you have played and enjoyed a lot, but it is abandoned more than a year. (that is usually appreciated by players.)

Domingo seems to look for a new maintainer for his campaign, by the way: http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=21994
Fate of a Princess/feedback thread: "What is in own heart that is the most important, not who you are."
Drake Campaign: Brave Wings/feedback thread, Naga Campaign: Return of the Monster, Saurian Campaign: Across the Ocean
Northern Forces - now on 1.12 server
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

You may have a look at A Gryphon's Tale (see my signature). I gave someone the passphrase months ago, but no word or upload since then.
projects (BfW 1.12):
fabi
Inactive Developer

Post by fabi »

Regarding the "evil" branch of Northern Rebirth:

We want to encourage everyone willing to work on it.
I suggest to take the campaign from current trunk, disable the "good" branch and load it
to the addon server to get feedback.
Also join the #wesnoth-dev irc channel on the irc.freenode.net server for getting linked with the developers.
Mountain_King
Translator

Post by Mountain_King »

I'll convert Shameless Crossover Excuse from 1.4 to 1.8 coding, seeing as how this is probably going to be the last version where they're all still using Gwiti's portraits. :lol2: Does someone need to send me the pbl file or should I just create my own?
Projects: Ice Age Fun, Japhel's Journey (same link), Shameless Crossover Excuse (Maintainer), and Age of Dinosaurs!
Is cothabhálach an aistriúcháin Gaeilge mé.
EXTERMINATE!!!!
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

Mountain_King wrote:I'll convert Shameless Crossover Excuse from 1.4 to 1.8 coding, seeing as how this is probably going to be the last version where they're all still using Gwiti's portraits. :lol2:
Nothing forbids you to use that portrait also on the 1.9 series. It is a funny campaign, after all :wink:
Mountain_King wrote:Does someone need to send me the pbl file or should I just create my own?
Because these are different add-ons server, you can just create your own. Before uploading this, however, it's better to try sending a PM to the original author. :)
Mountain_King
Translator

Post by Mountain_King »

Yeah, I'm waiting on the reply. He's still got a few days to wait before I decide he's gone, then I can begin preparations for uploading.

I actually meant that these characters are all getting their own portraits now...they won't be stealing Gwiti's anymore. Then again, wouldn't it be funny in 1.9 and later to set it up so he's actually using everyone else's portraits? :D
Projects: Ice Age Fun, Japhel's Journey (same link), Shameless Crossover Excuse (Maintainer), and Age of Dinosaurs!
Is cothabhálach an aistriúcháin Gaeilge mé.
EXTERMINATE!!!!