Abandoned Add-ons - Need Maintainers - Open to Anyone

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Inky
Forum Moderator

Re: Abandoned Campaigns - Need Maintainers - Open to Anyone

Post by Inky »

So I PMed SkyOne (author or Fate of a Princess etc.) and revansurik (author of A Song of Fire etc.) at the end of July asking if they planned to port their addons to 1.14 but neither has been online since then, so I think anyone can take over maintaining if they want to. As for how to take over, you can just go ahead and make changes and then upload to the 1.14 server.

I would love to see Fate of a Princess ported to 1.14, so good luck! :D
octalot
General Code Maintainer

Post by octalot »

I think a lot of us feel that we only know part of the answer. Another part of it is to find the old forum thread and ask
Konrad2 wrote: April 29th, 2018, 5:47 pm Is this still being maintained?
That's had no answer, and SkyOne was last active in 2016, so it looks ready for take-over. Now just write "Wesnoth" in your diary every day for the next two months, it'll probably take over your life for a bit. :D
ResExsention

Post by ResExsention »

I think I'd be interested in maintaining Fate of a Princess, even though the process seems a little vague...

I assume I am supposed to create a new _server.pbl file? Yeah, I think that is about it. Yep. If no one objects, then I'd like to get started on porting it.
I am a ranger and my WML knives will implant themselves in your back.

Creator of the abandoned campaign Royalties Forgotten and the work in progress campaign Purger of Evil.
Maintainer of Fate of a Princess.
BTIsaac

Post by BTIsaac »

Inky wrote: September 23rd, 2018, 1:20 pmSo I PMed SkyOne (author or Fate of a Princess etc.) and revansurik (author of A Song of Fire etc.) at the end of July asking if they planned to port their addons to 1.14 but neither has been online since then
Odd that revansurik last said the campaigns are ready to be ported and the only reason they're not is because War of Legends needs to be ported first.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

BTIsaac wrote: September 29th, 2018, 9:16 am Odd that revansurik last said the campaigns are ready to be ported and the only reason they're not is because War of Legends needs to be ported first.
He started the post you are refering to with saying that the last months have been rough for him and that he plans to be active again from now on. Since he last came online in June I'm afraid that life caught up with him once more. :/
So, while he could theoretically port it once WoL is ported, it's unlikely to happen any time soon...
ResExsention

Post by ResExsention »

In this post I'd like to ask about the forum posts of abandoned campaigns. I am not sure if this was mentioned earlier in the topic.

When taking over an abandoned campaign, what do you do about the forum thread? Do you create a new one?

And again, I realise nobody has confirmed my taking over of Fate of a Princess. If someone could confirm that to me then that would be great. I have no intention of stealing the work from someone else if they have already claimed it. Thanks.

Creator of the abandoned campaign Royalties Forgotten and the work in progress campaign Purger of Evil.
josteph
Inactive Developer

Post by josteph »

ResExsention wrote: October 2nd, 2018, 9:25 pm When taking over an abandoned campaign, what do you do about the forum thread? Do you create a new one?
What for? I think there should be just one thread per campaign, unless the campaign had undergone a major rewrite or something. Just subscribe to the existing thread.
ResExsention wrote: October 2nd, 2018, 9:25 pm And again, I realise nobody has confirmed my taking over of Fate of a Princess. If someone could confirm that to me then that would be great. I have no intention of stealing the work from someone else if they have already claimed it. Thanks.
There's no central registry of who's taking over what campaign. If you post here, and on the campaign's thread, and PM the maintainers, and no one says "Stop", then you can just go ahead. It probably goes without saying but you shouldn't remove the previous author's name from the byline.
ResExsention

Post by ResExsention »

Ah. Okay. Thanks for the clarification. I'll take the steps you mentioned and wait a day for a response before starting to port and maintain it.

josteph
Inactive Developer

Post by josteph »

I'd wait a little longer. People might be on vacation, or only check their wesnoth stuff on weekends etc.
Sadaharu

Post by Sadaharu »

Yeah, I've seen you've posted in the FoaP thread and just a day might not be that long in a site such as this, especially on weekdays. Not everything moves at reddit-speed. :)
Gitanomad_X

Post by Gitanomad_X »

fabi wrote: November 9th, 2013, 2:50 am
Gitanomad_X wrote:Has Wings of Victory been abandoned? I was fascinated by the idea of the campaign, and I read somewhere that it was supposed to become "the" mainline drakes campaign. Is there a full storyline that needs to be coded and have associated artwork developed, or is the story as yet unwritten?

Thanks!
Hello Gitanomad_X, there has no release to the add-on server since 2 years but I am secretly still working on it.
The story and the scenario layout is more or less done so far.
On the TODO list are still some maps for the later scenarios.

Regards,
Fabian
Hi Fabi, I see that you're still active on Wesnoth, at least as of June of this year. I've tried not to bug you about this for five years, but perhaps I can no longer contain my enthusiasm :D I really am curious, because it seemed as if you had a strong plot line with relevant social commentary embedded into the campaign. Thanks!
SigurdFireDragon
Developer

Post by SigurdFireDragon »

Gitanomad_X wrote: October 6th, 2018, 3:21 pm
fabi wrote: November 9th, 2013, 2:50 am
Gitanomad_X wrote:Has Wings of Victory been abandoned? I was fascinated by the idea of the campaign, and I read somewhere that it was supposed to become "the" mainline drakes campaign. Is there a full storyline that needs to be coded and have associated artwork developed, or is the story as yet unwritten?

Thanks!
Hello Gitanomad_X, there has no release to the add-on server since 2 years but I am secretly still working on it.
The story and the scenario layout is more or less done so far.
On the TODO list are still some maps for the later scenarios.

Regards,
Fabian
Hi Fabi, I see that you're still active on Wesnoth, at least as of June of this year. I've tried not to bug you about this for five years, but perhaps I can no longer contain my enthusiasm :D I really am curious, because it seemed as if you had a strong plot line with relevant social commentary embedded into the campaign. Thanks!
I went through the double-checks in the summer. For all intents and purposes, it's abandoned.
I've been working on it, and am aiming for a fully playable beta release on the 1.14 add-on server in early December.
Co-Author of Winds of Fate
My Add-ons: Random Campaign, Custom Campaign, Ultimate Random Maps, Era of Legends, Gui Debug Tools
Erfworld: The comic that lead me to find Wesnoth.
Gitanomad_X

Post by Gitanomad_X »

Thank you, I look forward to it!
bzame-wif

Post by bzame-wif »

Dear all,

I think it's a great initiative trying to keep track of the abandoned campaigns and encouraging people to start working from where others have left... but I find quite hard finding a good list of abandoned campaigns:
The thread is a very long one (more than 20 pages!) and it seems to me quite challenging scrolling through it to find out which campaigns are still abandoned, which have been picked up and which have been labelled as "lost"

I would like to invite everybody helping me sorting up this long thread
I have created a page on the wiki: https://wiki.wesnoth.org/Abandoned
Please, feel free to update it