Imperial Era Campaign: Alfhelm the Wise

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

turin
Lord of the East

Imperial Era Campaign: Alfhelm the Wise

Post by turin »

7/17/07 - I have uploaded to the server a new campaign, Alfhelm the Wise. It depends on the Imperial Era; you have to have that before you can play this. You'll need the most recent version, 0.16.3.

This campaign takes place about 50 years after my first Imperial Era campaign, Fall of Silvia. It is from the perspective of the Marauders; it deals with Alfhelm (later called the Wise) and his rise to power and war against the Lavinians.

So far only Part I (5 scenarios) is 'done'. You can try out Part II by uncommenting the line

Code: Select all

#next_scenario=2_1_Through_the_Mountains
in scenarios/1_Epilogue.cfg, but, while it might be playable, I make no guarantees about it not burning your eyes out or lighting your computer on fire. (Or crashing Wesnoth.) The final plan is to have 3 parts, though to tell you more than that would be spoilers. (BTW, if you want massive spoilers, just read the file scenarios/scenario-ideas, which has the plan for the whole campaign in it.)

Any comments or suggestions, about dialogue (which is very much a work in progress) or about scenario balance (I've played through the campaign on medium, it seemed pretty fair to me, but then I knew what was supposed to happen) would be appreciated.

7/18/07 - Released 0.1.1, which fixes a few issues with the original version.

8/01/07 - Released 0.2.0, which includes Part II of the campaign. Feedback on this second part would be appreciated.
Last edited by turin on August 1st, 2007, 4:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
lu_zero

Post by lu_zero »

it errors on start Magni provocator missing

recent svn wesnoth and fresh fetched IE
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

lu_zero wrote:it errors on start Magni provocator missing

recent svn wesnoth and fresh fetched IE
Huh. I based it on IE SVN; it's possible the most recent version of the IE isn't good enough... I'll check and, if so, release a new IE version ASAP.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
The World of Orbivm
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

OK, yeah, download just-released 0.16.2 to get it to work.
The World of Orbivm
lu_zero

Post by lu_zero »

looks like those ogre are a _little_ overpowering, swarms of lv0 units perfectly capable of killing my lv1 isn't exactly great given you need 5 rounds to meet the seer and 5 to go back.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

lu_zero wrote:looks like those ogre are a _little_ overpowering, swarms of lv0 units perfectly capable of killing my lv1 isn't exactly perfect given you need 5 rounds to meet the seer and 5 to go back.
What difficulty level are you playing at? I find it perfectly doable on easy and medium. I've never tried hard.

I'd advise - recruit your first two turns, then leave; don't be too aggressive, the orcs tend to spread themselves out if you make them come to you; control the villages.

But the units might indeed be overpowered, I dunno... any suggestions for stats changes?
The World of Orbivm
lu_zero

Post by lu_zero »

Overall

3-3 for the latronis
2-2 net for the piscator

For the scenario: let the victory happen on enemy defeat.add some more rounds
lu_zero

Post by lu_zero »

the second scenario is strange too, I'm supposed to have 3-4 lv2 units in order to win it or I'm just unlucky? Having 3 leaders spawning 2+2+3 units against me every round for at least 3 rounds make the thing quite bad if you just have just 2 lv2 units
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

lu_zero wrote:the second scenario is strange too, I'm supposed to have 3-4 lv2 units in order to win it or I'm just unlucky? Having 3 leaders spawning 2+2+3 units against me every round for at least 3 rounds make the thing quite bad if you just have just 2 lv2 units
You don't need any level 2 units, I didn't have any (though I had one almost advanced). You need to focus on one of the enemies (probably the northeastern one) and kill him quickly, once you do he joins your team and things are uphill from there.

I repeat - what difficulty level are you on? If you're on hard, then, well, it probably is unbalanced... I might change current "medium" to "hard", "easy" to "medium", and make a new "easy" that's considerably easier...
The World of Orbivm
dthurston

Warrior by 7?

Post by dthurston »

So the reason Alfheim is a good warrior is that he was trained to be a warrior by his father... before the age of 7??

On the difficulty: I started off on 'Easy', and ended up killing the Orc leader. Shouldn't the scenario end then? I thien switched to 'Normal'; I don't find it particularly hard.

The region that counts as the village for victory on the first scenario isn't entirely obvious.
lu_zero

Post by lu_zero »

turin wrote: You don't need any level 2 units, I didn't have any (though I had one almost advanced). You need to focus on one of the enemies (probably the northeastern one) and kill him quickly, once you do he joins your team and things are uphill from there.
Well I tried some times to see if that was unluck of what and well...

My main problem is being swarmed overall in the
On medium:

first scenario you may get overpovered by lv0 archers since 2 of them can kill one of your units with ease and hold 2 units attacks (depending on how unlucky you are), if you get the pc using lv1 units you can manage to kill the leader with ease

The second scenario is pretty much the same, you can use your default 2 lv2 units to kill the leader rushing to it, BUT if he has enough units to hold you (4 units can be enough to slow you down) you may end up killing him and getting the other leaders units on your tail, sacrificing some units to make the swarm away from my killers seems to be effective.

The third scenario is again on the edge since if it recruits enough casters (magic melee and ranged since lv1?) it can wipe my units with ease (again it depends a bit on luck).

Probably I'm not skilled enough or I'm not used to those units.
turin
Lord of the East

Re: Warrior by 7?

Post by turin »

dthurston wrote:So the reason Alfheim is a good warrior is that he was trained to be a warrior by his father... before the age of 7??
Hell yeah! :P

It's more that he got the basics from his father, then Harn Bernson was a good warrior too and trained him from then on... I'll make that more clear. ;)
dthurston wrote:On the difficulty: I started off on 'Easy', and ended up killing the Orc leader. Shouldn't the scenario end then? I thien switched to 'Normal'; I don't find it particularly hard.
It shouldn't end with you killing the Orc leader because then the player could just stay in the village, not go off to find the seeress, and defeat the Orc in the traditional manner... I'll think more about this, though, it does seem like an issue.
dthurston wrote:The region that counts as the village for victory on the first scenario isn't entirely obvious.
True. I'll add some dialogue or something to the objectives.
The World of Orbivm
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

OK, I've released a new version that fixes some of the complaints about scenarios 1 and 2. Mainly, the dialogue in 1 is now clearer about why you don't win immediately upon killing the orcish leader, and it becomes easier to win if you do kill him; scenario 2 has you start out with more gold, enough for at least one more unit, so it should be somewhat easier...
The World of Orbivm
lu_zero

Post by lu_zero »

So far I don't feel too hard (using medium)
hjwn

Post by hjwn »

Hello,

there is a missing /item in "2_1_Through_the_Mountains.cfg".

wn 1.3.4, campaign version 0.1.1, 07-18-07

Horst.

EDIT: line 138
just blame it on the rng when you lose