Campaign: Saboteur and Savior 0.62 (Extra version added)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

CIB
Code Contributor

Post by CIB »

Nice! I like the story. But if you always do the same, that would be a bit boring.
savagust

Post by savagust »

'Giant' version has been released and can be downloaded at the first post. It has 24 factions but cannot choose the size of battles. (I am too lazy to add that now...)

I have underestimated the complexity of adding factions. That needs TONS of boring work. :cry:
CIB wrote:But if you always do the same, that would be a bit boring.
Yes.
I am looking for some ways to make it more interesting. I want to add some random events but don't have any good idea now.
Clonkinator

Post by Clonkinator »

Great! I'll download the 'standard version' right away! I'm looking forward to seeing it.

Random events? What about a third faction joining the fight at random times as an example (okay, that could be too much work to implement...)? Or an ambush? Or some random treasure findable in the maps? There are lots of things that could be happening... Just think after a bit!
TL

Post by TL »

Cool, I'll have to give the giant version a try sometime.

Just finished a game on standard version, hardest settings. After winning the opening seige I found the second battle was basically impossible, so instead of trying to win I just suicided my leader (after getting a couple of quick kills for my near-leveled units) so I could go back and fight through the seige again. It was harder the second time around due to all the extra money the enemy had won off my retreat, but all the extra experience and equipment I won from the second time around was enough to give me a chance when I went to the next territory (it helped that the random enemy was undead that time, and I had plenty of holy units by then).

After that initial hitch I made it through the rest of the campaign without undue difficulty. As far as allocating military assets I found that the most effective strategy was to go for quantity over quality. I mostly spent my military resources on boosting income (and late in the campaign, just going straight to recruiting fund) to field as large an army as possible. Early on I did buy a few of the illuminating angel guys (I was playing loyalists) and I experimented with an animated rock, but other than that didn't bother with the alchemist's shop. I did have the forge outfit all my melee-only units with cheap ranged weapons but didn't buy any of the more expensive stuff (although I contemplated grabbing a holy sword for my leader). But by putting the majority of my military resources into recruiting funds I was able to recall a very large force, and more importantly to have extra leftover to buy cheap fodder units to absorb attacks that my more experienced units couldn't handle.

Overall it was quite fun, but I found the maps often did not lend themselves to very interesting gameplay. With the size of the armies I was leading my income was so low that there was no point at all in even trying to hold villages since there was no way I'd be able to get my income out of the negatives. Most of the time I just staked out a defensive line wherever there was convenient terrain nearby and waited for the enemy to hit. Increasing village income and making larger maps with more villages (especially in the later territories) might make the battles more interesting. Being able to spend military resources to increase income during battle might help here too.

Attached below is a replay of the last battle if anyone's curious. I know I played very very sloppily here, I just went all out with everything since I had units to spare and knew I wouldn't have to save since it was the last scenario.
Attachments
FASM_Lay_Siege_to_Enemy_Last_Stand_replay.zip
Epic last battle replay for 1.2.5
(34.35 KiB) Downloaded 238 times
St.John

Post by St.John »

yeah, this campaign is fantastic

as someone said before though, the maps can get a bit annoying.
i always seem to end up at a choke point between crappy terrain that no one wants to move on, so everyone ends up just taking about 10 turns of punishment before the line finally starts moving forward.
i know its random, so its not something to be fixed, but just as a comment, it happens alot