New campaign-The Hobbit

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

New campaign-The Hobbit

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

I'm starting to make a campaign based on the book, "The Hobbit". It will have about 10 scenarios. What does our community think of the idea?
miyo

Post by miyo »

Copyright issues.

- Miyo
Elvish_Pillager

That shouldn't be a problem.

There are lots of free games that use lots of copyright infringments on The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit, and I don't think one more could hurt. T.O.M.E, for instance.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

You're welcome to do such a campaign, and lots of people would no-doubt enjoy it, but I don't think we could ever ship it with the official version of the game, due to copyright issues.

We are committed to ensuring that the official Wesnoth distribution is untainted by any copyright problems.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

And that's exactly why the chocobone is still around ^_~
Privan

Post by Privan »

That does bear an interesting question. Do unoffical mods fall under fair use? I know several similar situations have been taken to court and been classified as falling with the fair use allowance (I wish I still had my links, but I remember a fanfiction can in particular because some book writer got stuck up and took someone to court for making a fanfiction that was "too similiar" to a book idea she had planned out (in her own mind, she hadn't posted it anywhere public)).

Of course, as mentioned, for an official release you can't include copyrighted material, but for unofficial addons, that's a good question. I know a copyright owner can specifically annouce they don't want any of it going on and therefore making it illegal no matter what the case (LucasArts is so fond of doing this for original Star Wars concepts).
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Neoriceisgood wrote:And that's exactly why the chocobone is still around ^_~
Chocobone is a parody and thus a form of Free Speech that is constitutionally protected in the US.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Insinuator

Post by Insinuator »

Dave wrote:Chocobone is a parody and thus a form of Free Speech that is constitutionally protected in the US.
Isn't this an international game? Wesnoth definitely has support from the world community, so I was wondering if U.S. constitutional mores apply.
miyo

Post by miyo »

One who breaks the copyright can be sued... one who distributes copyrighted material can be sued (even more so if he knew that it was copyrighted material). Dave (father of Wesnoth and main coder) lives in USA, so if Wesnoth has copyright infringement he can be sued in USA. Most commonly they will just tell you to stop using that material.

Don't play with fire unless you are ready to get burned.

- Miyo
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

I think a can I do a star-war/middle earth/pern map/scenario/unit question should be added to the FPI
Elvish_Pillager

I didn't want to end up with a copyrighting discussion. I wanted to know whether you'd like the campaign.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Elvish Pillager wrote:I didn't want to end up with a copyrighting discussion. I wanted to know whether you'd like the campaign.
Personally,i dislike the idea. There aren't many battles, so it would be hard to make interesting scenarios. Most of the hobbit is just about running away.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Elvish_Pillager

turin wrote:
Elvish Pillager wrote:I didn't want to end up with a copyrighting discussion. I wanted to know whether you'd like the campaign.
Personally,i dislike the idea. There aren't many battles, so it would be hard to make interesting scenarios. Most of the hobbit is just about running away.
Well, in a lot of those places a decent fight would work too. That's where a bunch of the scenarios come from.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Roel

Post by Roel »

New line has the rights for lord of the rings but do they have them for "the hobbit" too? If they don't we can do what we want

I want a hobbit campaign, traveling trough middle-wesnoth with a bunch of dwarves and a wizzard looking for a treasure guarded by a dragon

cool 8)
Michael

Post by Michael »

They didn't have the rights for The Hobbit a while ago. Peter Jackson wanted to make a The Hobbit movie, but there were some issues with the rights. I don't remember details, though (my SO had looked into it and talked about it).