New Campaign: Warmaster

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Glowing Fish

Post by Glowing Fish »

This is becoming more than a campaign. This is becoming a descent into madness.

Its like falling in love. It seems an endless mystery, something that can absorb you so totally. And then, just when you think you have it...you are torn away, rejected. The frustration builds as you realize that no matter how many hoops you jump through, you will never be good enough.
Clonkinator

Post by Clonkinator »

Glowing Fish wrote:So I have got to the inside of the Temple.

And it is insanely hard, impossible even, but that seems to be just because I don't have any money, besides the 140 I start with.

How much money should I start the scenario with?
Hm, you should have enough gold to recall at least one entire castle of your best units. Okay, I agree that 140 starting gold is ridiculously few gold at a scenario as hard as this one. Guess I should raise that to at least 300...

And by the way, as I said, THIS CAMPAIGN IS SUPPOSED TO BE HARD!
fatquack wrote:OK, just tried it again, Wesnoth 1.2.3 and campaign version 1.1 and I still have no recall in Helping Elves. I've attached the savefile.
Hm, I really have no idea what could be the reason for this. I will have a look at it.
Clonkinator

Post by Clonkinator »

Hm, I see that you cannot recall anything although your units didn't get killed, but as I said, I have no idea why. I don't think it is because of the campaign since it isn't happening to me. But my suggestions are, maybe reinstall the campaign/wesnoth. Also I'd suggest to try to only save between two scenarios. If that doesn't help, try to save only during a scenario. If that also doesn't help, restart the campaign. At least then it should work.
Or did you update the campaign and then continued your save game? It might happen that the recall-list vanishes because of the new units I added between version 0.6 and 1.0.

@Glowing Fish: I just updated the campaign to version 1.1a. The only thing I changed though is that you start with at least 380/340/300 gold in the temple-scenario, depending on the difficulty. That should be better.

If you update the campaign and the change doesn't affect you yet, do this:
Enter the debug mode and enter the command "gold 200". This gives you additional 200 gold, what should make the scenario beatable.
Glowing Fish

Post by Glowing Fish »

Now that I've played it all the way through, I understand it better. Its a great campaign, it is certainly absorbing enough.

I think one of the biggest problems is that you have to know what the scenarios are going to be like from the beginning, in order to promote the troops that make the most sense. For example, I had a Paladin and a Grand Knight, and two Dragoons. If I had known how much fighting there would be in caves, I would have gotten four Royal Guards instead. I also would have gotten the dwarves earlier, even a single Dwarvish Lord in "Darkness Everywhere" would have totally changed the texture of the scenario, and thus of the campaign.
fatquack

Post by fatquack »

Clonkinator wrote:Hm, I see that you cannot recall anything although your units didn't get killed, but as I said, I have no idea why. I don't think it is because of the campaign since it isn't happening to me. But my suggestions are, maybe reinstall the campaign/wesnoth. Also I'd suggest to try to only save between two scenarios. If that doesn't help, try to save only during a scenario. If that also doesn't help, restart the campaign. At least then it should work.
Or did you update the campaign and then continued your save game? It might happen that the recall-list vanishes because of the new units I added between version 0.6 and 1.0.
I've reinstalled Wesnoth and the campaign, started the campaign again and got the same problem...
Glowing Fish

Post by Glowing Fish »

I am getting the same no recall bug, now.

It continues in the next scenario.
Clonkinator

Post by Clonkinator »

Hm... I believe I know now why the recall list vanishes. Now it happened to me too recently, and I had a look at the WML. I guess the it was because of the two starting elves (Ervin and the shaman). They're created now by another event. Though I can't guarantee for it it SHOULD be fixed now.

I'll upload the new version to the server now.
fatquack

Post by fatquack »

Just started over again and I do have my recall list in Helping Elves!
Clonkinator

Post by Clonkinator »

That's good. Have fun playing the campaign further then. :wink:
Glowing Fish

Post by Glowing Fish »

I've played the campaign through a second time, and I have to say that if you know how to prepare for it, it does get a lot easier. Especially "Darkness Everywhere", which I left with over 1200 gold.

The only thing that I think still needs to be changed is the second-to-last scenario. With no villages, there is no bonus, of course, which means going into the very last scenario, you only have 140 gold. There should be some sort of reward beyond just grabbing the chests. I had, at the end of that scenario, something like -800 gold.
Clonkinator

Post by Clonkinator »

Hm, that's smashing indeed, but I thought I set the basic income in that scenario high enough...? Well, I will have a look at that, too.

Edit: I uploaded 1.2a now. I raised the basic income in that scenario by 15, but that should really be enough, even if you only use lvl3s. Just don't recall every single unit you have... The scenario after that is supposed to force you to do so.
fatquack

Post by fatquack »

I don't like it, too many large maps where my units move slowly, meaning it takes a lot of time to play a scenario. Coupled with having to start over again many times means this campaign is too time consuming for me. I can finish HttT in less time than playing not even half of this campaign.
So I deleted it.
Eloquentir Lombre

Post by Eloquentir Lombre »

This is the best campaign, I've played. Thanks.
And where is the exit in the Zray-Temple map? There are about 6 enemy castles, lots of dead ends and no exit at all )). Prove me, it's not true.
Clonkinator

Post by Clonkinator »

I sent you a PM about that.
Beon

Re: New Campaign: Warmaster

Post by Beon »

Hi there,

on scenario 10, Darkness Everywhere i get this error message:

Code: Select all

<Invalid WML found> [gold] missing required amount= attribute
Whenever i have a sighting on any of the enemy chieftains (Mergh, Werrand-Log,...).
This results in an invalid xml for the saved games.

I can open any *.cfg file in order to help myself, if someone could locate the error.
Fiddling around with main.cfg and warmaster10.cfg didn't work out, since I'm deleting random gold and on_sighting stuff without knowing what im actually doing. :whistle:

Thanks in advance for any clues!

Beon