Outlaw Campaign: Robbing the Crown

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

dbest

Outlaw Campaign: Robbing the Crown

Post by dbest »

After playing BFW for some time, I though of creating an Outlaw Campaign. It would tell the story of a band of outlaws that would try to overthrow the king. I then decided to search the forum.... and I found one campaign on similar lines: http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3095
Although i havent played it yet..

I have already created one scenario and have have atleast 3 more planned out.
Since I am no good with arts, i have borrowed all the art from another campaign, Rise of the Wesnoth.....

My question is: shud i go ahead and create the campaign???
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Re: Outlaw Campaign: Robbing the Crown

Post by Eleazar »

dbest wrote:After playing BFW for some time, I though of creating an Outlaw Campaign. It would tell the story of a band of outlaws that would try to overthrow the king. I then decided to search the forum.... and I found one campaign on similar lines: http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3095
Although i havent played it yet..

I have already created one scenario and have have atleast 3 more planned out.
Since I am no good with arts, i have borrowed all the art from another campaign, Rise of the Wesnoth.....

My question is: shud i go ahead and create the campaign???
Most campaign designers can't do art. If you want to, go for it anyway. People will judge your campaign on more than that a superficial resemblance to "Liberty."
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
nightcrawler

Re: Outlaw Campaign: Robbing the Crown

Post by nightcrawler »

Eleazar wrote:People will judge your campaign on more than than a superficial resemblance to "Liberty."
Word. Too bad that one's not available for 1.2.
"Then I'd prefer you refer to it as 'The Midlands'"

If I'm supposed to fight creeping biggerism, then why is it a game feature?
Prometheus

Post by Prometheus »

I just converted and uploaded Liberty. I wouldn't call a new campaign specifically "outlaw campaign" and I'd advise playing through Liberty, to avoid already done ideas. You could also work a new campaign into the scenariosfound in Liberty.
dbest

Post by dbest »

Prometheus wrote:You could also work a new campaign into the scenariosfound in Liberty.
am currently downloadin the liberty campaign.
i didnt follow the line that i just quoted. :( duh me....
BlackOpsElf

Post by BlackOpsElf »

My campaign is also somewhat of an outlaw campaign, in that the recruit list is the standard L3 Outlaw recruit list, minus the mounted units, even though the bulk of the story focuses on the 6+ hero characters who are representative of various different races. Still, it might be useful to get a sense of an alternative approach to using the L3 Outlaw pack than that employed by Liberty.

My advice is, go ahead and create the campaign. Saying that it isn't worth creating an Outlaw campaign because Liberty exists is like saying that it isn't worth creating an Elf campaign because Heir to the Throne exists.

I'd definitely enjoy playing another Outlaw campaign, as I think that out of all the Wesnoth races, they receive the least amount of focus by campaign developers relative to their potential.

One of the things you may going to have to deal with, however, is that the Outlaws don't have a traditional healer unit. Which isn't a bad thing in and of itself, but is something to keep in mind when designing longer scenarios.
Creator and Maintainer of "Where Angels Fear To Tread"
dbest

Post by dbest »

Thanks for the tip blackopself...

I have made some progress on the Campaign....

The first scenario is almost ready. Will play test it and then upload it over here. I have made use of the standard art package that is available in BfW.

The campagin that I have outlined in ma head is about 7-8 scenarios long, which i suppose is what number the other campaigns are like.

A short synopsis.....
The setting is the Kingdom of Anadin, where King Zaldon rules with an iron fist. He destroys the farms and kills a whole lot of people. A few men get organized into a small army in the forest. Their plan is to overthrow the king.
King Zaldon uses Wizards to help him carry out his evil work. (this way, i can introduce mages to the campaign)
The band of merry outlaws would start of in the forest and try to make their way to the palace for a final showdown with the king. Along the way, there will be plenty of surprises.

Hope I got some of you guys interested.... and once the scenario is ready, i hope more shall be joining the discussion. :wink:
dbest

Post by dbest »

The first scenario is ready and i thot i shud let u guys have a go at it and work on feedback...

The second scenario will be up once i figure out how to work on a particular piece of code.
Attachments
rtc.zip
(320.16 KiB) Downloaded 188 times
MarkP

Post by MarkP »

Downloaded it and had to modify it a bit to get it working - in both the campaign.cfg and scenario.cfg I had to change

Code: Select all

{campaigns/Rob_The_Crown/xyz}
to

Code: Select all

{@campaigns/Rob_The_Crown/xyz}
in several places.

Anyway, got it working, and the first scenario seems far too easy to me. I'm not a great player - admittedly I was playing it on easy - but I finished it with no losses way before running out of time. I would suggest:

* Less turns
* Less friendly units
* More enemies - it says you need to kill at least 3, but there are only 3 AFAICT. It would make sense if there were more than that - someone has to survive to inform the King what has happened. :) I'd also like to see them more spread out, though that doesn't really fit with them being a patrol. Maybe make one or more of them more than a level 1 too - a swordsman or pikeman wouldn't go astray. Or maybe a javelineer since they still have a ranged attack. Also, your enemies don't move at all - was that intentional?

It's rather painful having to move around the forest myself too since everyone is slow in it - I'd suggest some dirt tracks or something to make movement a bit easier.

Anyway, I do like the idea behind the campaign, and the dialogue is pretty good. Just make it a bit harder and I'll be happy. ;)
This signature intentionally left blank.
dbest

Post by dbest »

Yipee someone like the campaign... many thanks MarkP....

I will use ur suggestions. Well, there are more enemy units. I suppose you found the best place to go..

The idea behind the large number of friendly units is because I do not want "Radan" to recruit more, coz that would be against the concepts of a army in the forest. More units will eventually join the army. (Trying to work on how to carry forward the friendly units. Dont want a recall list also, coz it does cost money, and as far as i know, an army in the forest shudnt have much money)
And since this is the first scenario and that the army wouldnt increase by a huge amount over the scenarios, its safer that you dont lose the friendly units, plus as was mentioned earlier, outlaws dont have healer units.

But thanks nevertheless, I shall modify this scenario based on ur feedback and work on the second one.
dbest

Post by dbest »

Awrite version 0.2 is up there.

Have made few modications based on feedback.

Scenario 2 has been added.

Please give me your feedback.
Attachments
rtc v0.2.zip
Rob the Crown v0.2
(440.04 KiB) Downloaded 147 times
Chris NS

Post by Chris NS »

The storyline looks interesting, but here's some changes I'd make:

* Include some villages. Wounded units are next to useless with no villages around.

* Don't worry too much about outlaws having gold. Gold is more of an indicator to show what resources a side has to equip new recruits and recall old ones.

* Mix the terrain a bit more. Even the most forest-heavy scenarios in the mainline campaigns are broken up with more grassland and hills. (I personally like to always start from random maps and adapt them.)

* Probably remove the shroud from the first scenaio. Shrouds are generally used in scenarios where your side does not know the area. Surely outlaws know their own forest?
dbest

Post by dbest »

Cheers Chris.

I have kept out villages so that the game becomes just a bit interesting. The ability to heal is something that the outlaws lack. Makes it more challenging to save the heroes.

The shroud in the first scenario is coz the outlaws have to get rid of a certain number of units before the turn ends. And considering that their keep is somewhere in the middle of the forest and the map, it would take some turns for the outlaws to find the location where there are enemy units.

Will add some variety to the maps. Had added a few trees, but I guess a little more variety wouldnt kill anyone. :)
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

dbest wrote:The shroud in the first scenario is coz the outlaws have to get rid of a certain number of units before the turn ends. And considering that their keep is somewhere in the middle of the forest and the map, it would take some turns for the outlaws to find the location where there are enemy units.
Wouldn't fog make more sense there in that case?
dbest

Post by dbest »

yeah.... it wud...

had thought of using fog... but then decided to go with shroud... not sure of the reasons now... (note to self: shud start documenting all such stuff)

Will modify this in the next version..... which would also have the next scenario....

EDITED:
fog shows the enemy keep... not something i want the player to see at the start of the game.. so it has to be shroud.....