new campaign: Green Isle

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

gabe

Post by gabe »

finally got a good connection
reposted to server

scenarios 1-7 are done
working on testing as a whole now

fixed many errors I saw while testing
plan on testing throught scenario 7 in the next few days while starting wml on 8
I all ready know what I want to do through scenario 10
but will get 8 to a working point before progressing forwards

as all ways please give me feedback
I need it to make the campaign be better
as if it is only me playing it will not end up being as good as it could be
bignall

Post by bignall »

I just played through again, but having problems.

Although I enjoyed the first two scenarios the first time I played, eventhough it was very frustrating to suddenly lose all my carefully leveled units. On replaying a few times now, I find those two scenarios just annoying now. They are useful for providing background, but since you lose everything you do in them, they are worthless. The first one is okay, but the second one just takes a long time for something that is not going to benefit you in any way whatsoever later on. This is just my opinion, but since you asked for comments here it is. I'd suggest either getting rid of scenario 2; making the map tons, tons smaller; or making it in some way beneficial to the player to play it. The background could be provided with just story or only one of the scenarios; or you need a lot more story/interaction/easter eggs in them to make them much more interesting.

The First Contact is much easier now - either that, or I'm improving tremendously (which I doubt ;-) . I still think there ought to be some easter egg out on that island for those players who send some unit out there to get it - nothing required to win, but something to reward the player who makes the effort. One bug is that the recall list contains the units from the previous scenarios available - actually, multiple copies of the units... making a very large and unintended recall list.

There's still bugs in The Council and Night Raid - The main character Khiapai disappears and instead Kamehameha is used so all the dialog for Khiapai is missing and the Council's discussion makes little sense. I'm looking forward to trying the rest of the campaign, but for now, I don't see how continuing will make much sense.

Oh yeah, one more thing... the leader is a Fae Prince which apparently doesn't level up to anything. Was that intentional? A leader that can't go higher than level 1 doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

Hope the comments help.
gabe

Post by gabe »

thanks for the input

will probally make the 2nd one go quicker
or incorporate into the first one

when I play through it is Kihapai in the council and night raid
also I dont have the recruiting bug
so that is wierd

the fae prince leveling is intentional
notice the umerous AMLA options when he does level up
also there is note of it in the unit description
the plan is to level him the next time he sees the council
there will be some choices of the form he can take
they avaliable options will be based on AMLA decisions

working on a play through
had started at scenario 3
but will start over at the begining to try and get the recruiting bug

thanks for the input
should have a playthrough done by thursday
and will start new changes then
happy timezone traveler
gabe

Post by gabe »

ya thursday is winding down and I am not done
started playthrough
got to second level
realized that a new map was in order
so redid the second level to make it faster

been messing around with some macros for the Fae portions today after finishing the new The_Final_Battle

will resume testing tomorrow

hopefull should have an update by the weekend
happy timezone traveler
gabe

Post by gabe »

fixed the recruiting bug
made the 2nd scenario a smaller map
so now the 1st 2 scenarios are fast
which is what I wanted

still have to put recruit limits on the stronger units allowed for hard/normal difficulties on Intro as without them the scenario is to intense
and the first 2 scenarios should be really easy as they are just background story based and not part of the actual story I am tring to tell

have to fix the ai in The_First_Contact at little but should be minor and not that noticable as I did a test without fog and didnt like some ai behavior
mostly deals with not having ai charge over mountains
might also add some turns to allow more $ or time to level units

going to adjust The_First_Contact and retest
The_Council seems to be fine
so after I test Night_Raid through Refugees and fix any bugs and make adjustmenst will repost to server
expect to be done with this by weekend
but deadlines are made to be broken so wish me luck

thanks for all the input
give me more to make the campaign better
your suggestions/comments help

gabe

EDIT: will add an easter egg to the island after I fix the shroud on it will be a holy attack item to be changed to arcane when I switch versions will not be strong but will be ranged holy 4-2 I think???
happy timezone traveler
gabe

Post by gabe »

been working on campaign
will have an update soon

Night_Raid is to intense
so will fix

also doing things with the leader and variations
will get working and repost
may take a minute but should be worth it
happy timezone traveler
gabe

Post by gabe »

Uploaded newest changes
still at 7 scenarios
haven't started number 8 as still testing upto that point on NORMAL

feedback is good

EDIT: the version uploaded should have fog set on the third scenario but was off for some reason cant get good conection to repost so... :?

EDIT: Nevermind it went through :lol:
happy timezone traveler
gabe

Post by gabe »

I am stupid and found a spelling error that made the first scenario easier. Fixed it. (thanks zookeeper) Still working scenario 5 play though test on NORMAL. Need to find a way to make orcs retreat back to keep area with v1.2.4. If no can may preemptive switch to 1.3.x as I think can do it then and some other stuff I want to do. Would prefer delay as want to reach scenario 10 and a more stable dev release before switich.

Still need to frankenstein new unit art. May just use a random MP era for some of the art...

Give me feedback. I need it to make the campaign better.

Thanks in advance.
happy timezone traveler
gabe

Post by gabe »

I have been working on scenario 8. Did play testing on 5 somewhat made changes and have not resumed said play testing due to a revived wml writing mode. The previously mentioned avoid bug has been solved with a reasonable workaround. Did some macro and other house keeping. Have decided that I will get this beast working through scenario 10. Will call it chapters 1 & 2.

Then I plan on learning how to use the gimp. Make some art for all the stuff that needs art. It will not be good as I will be learning but it needs to be done. Will also hope that the 1.3.x dev version will be at a no more features mode or at least semi stable place, if this is the case will start porting over and writing new scenarios in 1.3 as I want to use wml filter and much of the other new stuff to do things.

Will keep perfecting the old version as much as I can after this happens but will be a less important issue, as will be focused on using my new inexpertly done art to upgrade chapters 1 & 2. As well as going forward with chapter 3. Which should be the last unless I decide the end game deserves a separate chapter.

p.s. Firefox 2 spell checks my posts for me and tells me what I meant to spell; it is nice.

p.s.s. Scenarios 1-2 are chapter 1 Scenarios 3-10 are chapter 2. They are in the same download on the server for now. Will change the .pbl to reflect this soon.
happy timezone traveler
Jenda

Post by Jenda »

I believe I found a bug or two in "Night Raid".

1) The objective is to reach a signpost in the northwest. There is only one signpost, however, and it is in the northeast.

2) I reached it with both main characters (lvl 1 prince and lvl 2 mage) and nothing happened.
gabe

Post by gabe »

The signpost is singular in the level. My sense of direction is off I as I can't say it is mauka and towards Diamond head. So I get confused. Thanks though, that will be fixed. Will also fix the error where nothing happens when a character gets there. As that should trigger end of level event.

Been slacking lately on wml and stuff in general, been reading the new Harry Potter book. Should finish it by the weekend then get back to the grindstone and try finish off through scenario 10.

Thank you for your input and feedback. That is always encouraged and appreciated.

A random quote from my friends arm to close off the post.

The wind mills of God grind slowly but they grind finely.
happy timezone traveler
gabe

Post by gabe »

it has been a while since i have done anything wml related
so i decided to do a playthrough again
will try and get through the first 7 or so scenarios to look for bugs
then will squash them and go forward
sorry for my slackerness
hopefully will have some new stuff in a few days
thanks for all feedback and keep it coming
hopefully the project will start rolling faster again
chutes
happy timezone traveler
devadip

Post by devadip »

Enjoyed the first scenario
In the Tour 11 of 'First Contact,' I get a crash: no error message, Wesnoth just quits (and doesn't even give the usual OS X 'the application unexpectedly quit' message). Reproduces on reloading and repeating.
BoW 1.2.6
Imac G5 1.9 GHz 1 Go Ram OS X.4.10 (The Tiger)
PB G4 1.5 GHz 1 Go Ram OS X.3.9 (Panther)
gabe

Post by gabe »

thats weird
doing a play through now and got to scenario 5 with no worries
what version of the campaign are you using and wesnoth for that matter
happy timezone traveler
gabe

Post by gabe »

made some changes to chapter 1 scenario leader to have him be a leadership unit
some other minor revisions
gonna start the playtest again as made so more $ in Night Raid hopefully
was really hard on normal to beat it

how have other people fared on that level?

as always I need feedback and want it
so let me know
and thanks for all the input to date
happy timezone traveler