Test of Clans - What is the point?

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

I'm thinking something like Konrad meeting with the clan leaders before the last scenario.

Konrad: There is such a great host of them! How shall we defeat them?
Delfador: Men of the clans, the time to fulfill your pledge of allegiance has come already!
Clan Leader: We will do the bidding of the (king|warrior princess) [1] my lord.
(Konrad|Li'sar): Very well, and what is your counsel, Delfador?
Delfador: A great battle is to be fought. One which will decide the fate of the kingdom. The clansmen will help us: a host of them will guard us on the East, and a host of them will guard us to the West. But as for us, we shall not tarry to fight. We will charge forward and do battle only with Asheviere, the traitor-queen.
Clan Leader: Very well my lord. You can be assured that we will not allow our lines to fail you, either to your East or to your West. Come men, the time for battle approaches!

[1] depends on if Li'sar or Konrad has the Scepter
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Dacyn

Post by Dacyn »

Dave wrote:I'm thinking something like Konrad meeting with the clan leaders before the last scenario.
This is more of what I was thinking of, though possibly the clan's battle could be a side quest...
The problem with the others is that there is no clear difference between the clans and the rest of the army. Here the army must divide, so the clans are clearly neccesary; otherwise no one would fight the clan's battle.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

If you (as Konrad) gain control of the clan for one scenario and can't recall your normal units, wouldn't you be able to recruit second level units, like knights? it seems to me that it would be inconsistant if, when you are fighting the clan, they send 2nd level units at you, but, when you are controlling them, they can only get 1st level units.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

I think perhaps the Scenario needs renaming. "Clans" carries a barbaric sort of feel to it, and if these are indeed Wesnothian factions, then I'd assume them to be fairly civilised. In addition to updating their language to make them more formal, why don't we call it "Test of the Dukes" or somesuch, where Konrad has to win the loyalty of some of Wesnoth's staunchly honourable nobility?
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Sangel wrote:I think perhaps the Scenario needs renaming. "Clans" carries a barbaric sort of feel to it, and if these are indeed Wesnothian factions, then I'd assume them to be fairly civilised. In addition to updating their language to make them more formal, why don't we call it "Test of the Dukes" or somesuch, where Konrad has to win the loyalty of some of Wesnoth's staunchly honourable nobility?
Not "Test of the Dukes", that 1) sounds odd and 2) assumes that wesnoth has a feudal system very similar to that of medieval Europe. "Test of the Knights", perhaps?
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
The World of Orbivm
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

Well, I assume Wesnoth has some kind of feudal system, given we have kings and knights and so forth. But you're right, there are plenty of options for the name.

"Test of the Lords" if we want to be generic.

"Test of the Nobles" could also work.

"Test of the Houses" if we want Wesnoth to be divided up into Great Houses - though admittedly that sounds like a test of Konrad's carpentry abilities.

"Test of the Knights" is quite good, I suppose, but it doesn't quite convey that you're fighting for the loyalty of some kind of authority beyond those individuals knights.
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Sangel wrote:Well, I assume Wesnoth has some kind of feudal system, given we have kings and knights and so forth. But you're right, there are plenty of options for the name.

"Test of the Lords" if we want to be generic.

"Test of the Nobles" could also work.

"Test of the Houses" if we want Wesnoth to be divided up into Great Houses - though admittedly that sounds like a test of Konrad's carpentry abilities.

"Test of the Knights" is quite good, I suppose, but it doesn't quite convey that you're fighting for the loyalty of some kind of authority beyond those individuals knights.
Test of the Lords sounds good, and so does Test of the Nobles. I can't really decide between them.

Test of the Houses i don't really like, but its acceptable.

And i like Test of the Knights. :)

This might be one of the few occasions where a poll would actually be useful, since i don't think there is any ideological controversy here. I might start one, if we get a few more suggestions.
The World of Orbivm
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

Test of the orders, if we want to have differnt knight orders testing konrad
mlangsdorf

Post by mlangsdorf »

[quote="turin"][quote="mlangsdorf"]It might also help to have "Test of The Clans" come before, not after, "Return to Wesnoth." That was one of the things I found confusing about Test. If I had just returned to Wesnoth and crossed the river, why was I back in the northlands talking to a bunch of savages?[/quote]

You're not in the northlands. Wnat gave you that idea? You are on a huge plain, not a land with a bunch of mountains.

[/quote]
The between-scenarios map makes it look (to me, anyway) that I'm north of Wesnoth, on the other side of the river.

Apologies for starting the meme that the Clans were primitive savages, as opposed to violent murderers.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

mlangsdorf wrote:
turin wrote: You're not in the northlands. Wnat gave you that idea? You are on a huge plain, not a land with a bunch of mountains.
The between-scenarios map makes it look (to me, anyway) that I'm north of Wesnoth, on the other side of the river.

Apologies for starting the meme that the Clans were primitive savages, as opposed to violent murderers.
um..i think i forgot to change that map. :oops: someone with CVS access should make sure its correct.

they're not violent murderers compared to the rest of wesnoth. they're just like everyone else! stop slandering them! :D
The World of Orbivm
Insinuator

Disregard

Post by Insinuator »

Please disregard. My post was invalidated and I can not delete it.
MattiRoto

Post by MattiRoto »

To make it more interesting I propose to add Samurai units for the enemies.That way they could help you more later in.