Newbie has a ?

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Rhinolf

Newbie has a ?

Post by Rhinolf »

ok i downloaded the binary version of battle for wesnoth 0.7.5 a couple of days ago i have to say its a great game.i messed around with the map editor but couldn't find a way to make my maps into a campagn. i was wondering if there was any way i could make a campaign with what i have. i have a very small amout of programming experience, but i wanted to know if i could do it with the binary or needed to download something else.
thanks for your time. 8)
DarkOx55

Post by DarkOx55 »

There is a way to make a campaign (by binary, I assume you mean the windows binary - if I'm mistaken then this might not work), but there's not campiagn editor per se. You have to make a text document that'll tell the game what to do in your scenario, using a programing language called WML (Wesnoth Markup Language). All you need to make a Wesnoth map/campaign is Notepad, really.
To make a campaign, you'll need the document to look like this:

[campaign]
id= The name is the name the game will associate with your campiagn (ex: My_Campaign_01)
name=The name that people will actually see (ex: "My Campaign")
first_scenario= The id of the first scenario
icon= The icon that appears next to your campaign in the menu (ex: "Bowman.png")
difficulties=EASY,NORMAL,HARD
difficulty_descriptions=The icons and descriptions of the difficultly levels of your campiang (ex: &thief.png,Scoundrel,(easiest);*&gryphon-rider.png,Wind Rider;&dwarf-lord.png,Mountain King,(hardest) )
[/campaign]

That can all be above the text of your first scenario or in a file of its own.
If you want to learn more about making scenarios, campaigns or maps in Wesnoth, check out http://wesnoth.slack.it/?BuildingScenarios which will give you a much better explaination than I could of how WML works. Looking at the scenario files in Wesnoth itself can also give you some practical examples to work with.

Good luck with your campaign and welcome to the game,

DarkOx
miyo

Post by miyo »

http://wiki.wesnoth.org -> BuildingScenarios

- Miyo
Rhinolf

Post by Rhinolf »

thanks for that help i aprecate it. i made a campaign file like u said and then i made a basic scenario to see if i was doing it right and im not. i put both files into .cfg like i saw all of the others are. then i put the files into the scenario folder of wesnoth and ran wesnoth to test it out but i dosen't show up on the campagin screen. let me know if i missed somthing but i cant seem to make it work and i would like to know what im doing wrong so i can fix it.

thanks(by the way i am using windows sorry i forgot to say that)
DarkOx55

Post by DarkOx55 »

Could you post a copy of your scenario here? I'd have to see it to find out for certain what's wrong with it.
Other than that, you could try just coping the campaign file found in the Son of the Black Eye campaign and adding in your own data (that's what I did when I was first trying to figure out WML).
Sorry I can't offer more specific help,

DarkOx
Rhinolf

Post by Rhinolf »

ok here is the file for the campaign and the file for the first scenario i just put in basic things so that it would work
[campaign]
id=ben’s
name=testcampaign
first_scenario=level1
icon=elvish-hero-attack.png
difficulties=EASY,NORMAL,HARD
difficulty_descriptions=&mage.png,wizard;*&arch-mage.png,warlock;&great-mage.png,war-wizard
[/campaign]

this is scenario

[scenario]
id=level1
next_scenario=level2
name=test level
map=mapplains
turns=24

{dawn}
{morning}
{afternoon}
{dusk}
{fisrt_watch}
{second_watch}

music=wesnoth-1.ogg
objectives="
Victory:
@Defeat enemy leader
Defeat:
#Death of leader
#Turns run out

[side]
side=1
controller=human

enemy=2

canrecruit=1
recruit=Heavy Infantry,Mage,Spearman,Horseman

type=Lieutenant
description=Tim
controller=human

{GOLD 100 75 50}
{INCOME 2 2 2}
[/side]

[side]
side=2
controller=ai

enemy=1

canrecruit=1

type=Lieutenant
description=Jim

#ifdef EASY
recruit=Fencer,Footpad,Heavy Infantry,Pikemen
recruit_pattern=fighter,mixed fighter
gold=100
#endif

#if def NORMAL
recruit=Cavalry,Fencer,Footpad,Heavy Infantry,Pikemen
recruit_pattern=fighter,scout,mixed fighter
gold=100
#endif

#ifdef HARD
recruit=Cavalry,Fencer,Footpad,Heavy Infantry,Pikemen
recruit_pattern=fighter,scout,mixed fighter
gold=200
#endif

aggression=0.75
village_value=10.0
leader_value=25.0
[/side]
[scenario]

hopefully u can help me out now
DarkOx55

Post by DarkOx55 »

I got the campaign to work (with a different map), the problem seemed to be in your first id:

[campaign]
id=ben's

The problem was with the apostrophe, as once I replaced it with an apostrophe typed in Notepad, the thing worked. If that doesn't work you could simply remove the apostrophe. I believe that will fix your problem.

Hope this helps,

DarkOx
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

DarkOx55 wrote:I got the campaign to work (with a different map), the problem seemed to be in your first id:

[campaign]
id=ben's

The problem was with the apostrophe, as once I replaced it with an apostrophe typed in Notepad, the thing worked. If that doesn't work you could simply remove the apostrophe. I believe that will fix your problem.

Hope this helps,

DarkOx
Um..yes its the apostrophe. What that does is make it so the id of the campaign is that whole file. If you have an apostrophe, you need a closing apostrophe, since that is actually a quote sign. You were quoting the whole file.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Rhinolf

Post by Rhinolf »

thank you very much. one more problem then ill leave you guys alone. when i try to start up wesnoth an error mesage comes up that says [/side] is an illegal end tag to scenario in the line that has the first [/side] in it ive tryed just about everything i can think of and it still dosen't work. granted im still new to this, what do you think i have to do?