Children of Dragons

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

rantoni34

Children of Dragons

Post by rantoni34 »

For the creator of this campaign, I just want to ask a little about the background history of this campaign related with the canonical mainline campaigns.
I find the timeline of this campaign a little bit confusing :cry: . My main question is: Were the Drakes first moved to Morogor Island in this story or not??? because if they were, then it would be in conflict with the mainline story, in which the drakes already inhabited the Island even long before the first arrival of Men on the mainland from their lost home of Green Isle (reference to The Rise of Wesnoth), and if they indeed moved away AFTER Men settle the mainland, then why would they be in the underground??? For, from what little references I have, Drakes were said to inhabit the Northern land, probably after Morogor Island was said to start sinking (again reference to TRoW, and the Race Description of Drake). I'm not a real historian of Wesnoth or anything, but I find that the ever growing History of Wesnoth by the great help of campaign creators such as you people, needs some framework to ensure that there's no paradox in it to make it much more coherent and enjoyable.

Regards,
Richard Antoni
Elvish_Hunter

Re: Children of Dragons

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

rantoni34 wrote:For the creator of this campaign, I just want to ask a little about the background history of this campaign related with the canonical mainline campaigns.
I find the timeline of this campaign a little bit confusing :cry: .
Honest answer: this campaign was created in the glorious Wesnoth 1.2.x good ol' times, when more or less nothing about Drakes was defined yet. :eng:
rantoni34 wrote:My main question is: Were the Drakes first moved to Morogor Island in this story or not??? because if they were, then it would be in conflict with the mainline story, in which the drakes already inhabited the Island even long before the first arrival of Men on the mainland from their lost home of Green Isle (reference to The Rise of Wesnoth), and if they indeed moved away AFTER Men settle the mainland, then why would they be in the underground???
Despite not being the original creator, I'm open to suggestions: how do you want me to fix it? If you have any good idea on how to improve the current storyline, I'll gladly consider it. ;)
Current maintainer of these add-ons, all on 1.16:
The Sojournings of Grog, Children of Dragons, A Rough Life, Wesnoth Lua Pack, The White Troll (co-author)
rantoni34

Children of Dragons

Post by rantoni34 »

Honest answer: this campaign was created in the glorious Wesnoth 1.2.x good ol' times, when more or less nothing about Drakes was defined yet.

I do understand that, and thank you for the honest answer :mrgreen: .

For suggestion, I can't really say anything :doh: , but why don't you make it that they (the Drakes) were moving away to some other Island :hmm: (like Bilheld, if you want to make it linear with Burning Souls, or Faith Island to make it linear with Brave Wings) but If you do so, please be sure to pay attention to the relation with Flight to Freedom, of which if my memory serves me well, is the direct continuation of the Children of Dragons (and by the way, where has the campaign gone to? I really miss it :cry: ). But I really appreciate your work in maintaining this great classic campaign .
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

rantoni34 wrote:(like Bilheld, if you want to make it linear with Burning Souls, or Faith Island to make it linear with Brave Wings)
Hmm... theoretically, I can change the text so that these Drakes were a scouting party that, after fleeing from the sunken Morogor, got stranded somewhere in the mountains, and took shelter in a cave. After some years (how many?), they escaped the cave, found the Humans and went to clean up Bilheld (that is mainline in Dead Water). Only to be, in a distant future, casted away by some other Drakes until the events of Dead Water, where Keshan may just as well be a distant relative of Kahn (notice that even the name is similar). Sounds good? :)
The Sojournings of Grog, Children of Dragons, A Rough Life, Wesnoth Lua Pack, The White Troll (co-author)
rantoni34

Post by rantoni34 »

Yeah sounds good to me, actually I was hoping for no interaction with human at all (if I understand the story right, this campaign was intended to be the explanation of the Drakes' first emergence to the known world of Wesnoth wasn't it?) but your suggestion does make sounds too :hmm: . There's one Big Reason why I suggested this seemingly trivial matter (linearity with the canon history of Wesnoth): There has been none of the Drakes' own mainline campaign yet all this long :| . Despite of being one of the main race in the Wesnoth universe (started to appear in the second version of Wesnoth, 1.2 or older if I remember correctly) and their (relatively) comprehensive list of units (compared to Nagas which only have 1 unit line, and saurian with only 2 unit line). So by doing these changes, I hope that this long-running epic campaign can be the one to be Drakes' first mainline campaign :mrgreen: .
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

rantoni34 wrote:So by doing these changes, I hope that this long-running epic campaign can be the one to be Drakes' first mainline campaign :mrgreen: .
Thank you, but our development plans are different :P . The Drake campaign designed to enter in mainline is called Wings of Victory - although I haven't heard any recent news about it: the last commit on Wesnoth-UMC-Dev was about one year ago...
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

I uploaded a new version on the 1.12 server. The only changes (for now - I didn't have the time to fix the story as discussed before :( ) are that I fixed some missing square brackets in the Drake Chancellor's unit cfg and updated the custom terrains as pointed by wmllint. No gameplay changes.
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

rantoni34 wrote:Honest answer: this campaign was created in the glorious Wesnoth 1.2.x good ol' times, when more or less nothing about Drakes was defined yet.

I do understand that, and thank you for the honest answer :mrgreen: .

For suggestion, I can't really say anything :doh: , but why don't you make it that they (the Drakes) were moving away to some other Island :hmm: (like Bilheld, if you want to make it linear with Burning Souls, or Faith Island to make it linear with Brave Wings) but If you do so, please be sure to pay attention to the relation with Flight to Freedom, of which if my memory serves me well, is the direct continuation of the Children of Dragons (and by the way, where has the campaign gone to? I really miss it :cry: ). But I really appreciate your work in maintaining this great classic campaign .
Before Nova took over FtF, there was an incomplete side branch that referenced elements of Children of Dragons (these scenario files are still present in the FtF download, though they have been disabled and they probably won't work since I haven't updated them for Wesnoth 1.11.9+). However, Nova wanted to spin them off into a separate campaign, and I will respect his wishes. So unless Nova comes back, there shouldn't be any continuity concerns.
"ILLEGITIMIS NON CARBORUNDUM"

Father of Flight to Freedom
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/FlightToFreedom
Pepe

Post by Pepe »

Hello,

Here is spanish translation (100%).

I dont know if AI is lately active maintaining add-on translations.

Pepe
----------------------------------
Attachments
wesnoth-Children_of_Dragons.zip
(27.1 KiB) Downloaded 355 times
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

Version 1.1.2 is now on the server. I added, at long last, the Spanish translation provided by Pepe, and I also got rid of the rank=65 line in the _main.cfg: now the campaign shouldn't appear any more between the mainline ones.
marat

Post by marat »

I wish a good time.

Russian translation of campaign is ready. (100%)
Attachments
wesnoth-Children_of_Dragons.7z
.MO +.PO
(55.23 KiB) Downloaded 292 times
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

You probably thought that this campaign had been abandoned once again. Well, think again: after having skipped the 1.14 series (partially due to personal reasons, and partially due to forgetting to update it :oops: ), Children of Dragons is now available on the 1.16 add-ons server. Many thanks to vghetto for giving me a much needed push to finally update it!
This is a changelog of what I did.
Spoiler:
As usual, bug reports and suggestions are always welcome. Have fun!
Sadaharu

Post by Sadaharu »

Much obliged! In fact I played it about a month ago on BfW 1.12 and it already rocked. I suppose I'll have to replay it in a while. For quality control purposes. :)
Argesilao2

Post by Argesilao2 »

Hi!

Just finished this campaign, version for BfW 1.16, normal difficulty.

For sure the campaign it is affected by its antiquity, especially as regards the maps, but it is still interesting, and funny to play.

A strange things in scenario 05 Dark Forest, when drakes sight a wose;
Freon: "The forest is alive! The trees are moving"
Kahn: "I do not like the idea of living near moving trees. Perhaps we should clear this forest of its current inhabitants first."
Freon: "Yes, I think you are right. Let's destroy the woses, else they may attack us while we try and build our new homes."

From the first Freon's sentence they seem to be ignorant of Wose's existence, but in Freon's second sentence, he calls them by the name of Wose. :hmm:

In the same scenario it will be an improvement put a forest in the castle and keep sectors of the fortresses of the Wose. :eng:

Finally, there is a notable discrepancy with the official wesnothians lore: in this campaign drakes should originate from the Green Island, in fact they sail east to reach Morogor; yet they fight against trolls and dwarves, despite the fact that these are officially unknown on the Green Island (Burin the lost is the first dwarf Haldric meets, and no one on the Green Island, Burin apart, knows anything about trolls ... not even their color. :mrgreen: )

That's all, thanks for your work, the campaign deserve it.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

Hello, I have finished this on Normal.

It was an okayish campaign. Also, liked the chance of having the opportunity to have multiple Armageddon Drakes.
Also, can you consider updating the graphics of the Drake Noble and Drake Mage? I think A New Land Era and Brave Wings have updated versions of these.
Also, my side's leader sinks into a volcano hex. :lol:
CoD-Showdown replay 20220107-052352.gz
(30.7 KiB) Downloaded 29 times
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium