Children of Dragons

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

wsultzbach

Post by wsultzbach »

MarkP wrote:Talking to myself again...
I know how you feel.
What's this annoying thing that appears at the bottom of every one of my posts?
rwar

Post by rwar »

I get "Unknown Scenario 'Sea Journey'" after I finish "To The Ships". I got the campaign off the campaign server.

So far, it was decent fun imo, but many of the maps felt "dull" ie. not much variation. I got a bit annoyed at the scenario "Leaving The Mountains", since 2+ gryphons might spawn if you're unlucky, and it's rather hard to not lose any units with only 3 of them and no villages ;s ..
woot
MarkP

Post by MarkP »

Hi rwar,

To The Ships is currently the last scenario. I'm working on the next couple of scenarios now - they should hopefully be out in the next few days. :-)

Leaving The Mountains I was trying for a bit of variation rather than just defeat enemy leader. ;-) I managed to get through it without losing any units the first time, though my leader advanced partway through the scenario which no doubt helped. I could probably add a couple of villages though.

In the version I put up yesterday, I made a few minor changes to the stats of your leader - he's a little more resilient than he was - so that may help a little too. Of course you'll have to play the campaign from the beginning again to get the benefit of that.

Ultimately the campaign is still in its early stages, so if you've got any suggestions on how to mix it up a bit to make it less dull, I'm all ears. :-D

Mark
This signature intentionally left blank.
MarkP

Post by MarkP »

Yep, another new version. :-)

0.3.0 this time - all scenarios are now complete. Still some work to do on images though.

I've also added some villages to Leaving the Mountains for rwar. ;-)

Any suggestions/comments/abuse welcome.

Mark
MarkP

Post by MarkP »

Another release. :-)

I've bumped the version number up to 0.5.0, as it is now effectively feature complete. I've done all the images for the new units, and the scenarios are all done.

So all that's left now is bug-fixing, balancing and maybe some enhancements. Any and all suggestions/bug reports very welcome.

Mark
MarkP

Post by MarkP »

Minor update - 0.5.2. Fixed a couple of bugs in Epilogue and added Italian translation. :)
bignall

Post by bignall »

In The Showdown, I'm having trouble getting the latisman trigger event to fire. I've searched all over the place and finally went into the code to find out where it is, but going to that location doesn't make the talisman appear. Any suggestions?

BTW, good job on the campaign. Since you asked, the first few scenarios were great well balanced. But then, it gets ridiculously easy. I realize i'm playing on easy, but it's just way too easy even for the beginner.

Edit: I played again from the beginning of the scenario and this time it worked. It seems that when you load from a save file there are errors in the file. I suspect that's causing the event not to fire correctly. Also, a Drake Inferno is getting placed in the cave with Mal-Bronam. I wasn't sure if that's intentional or not, but I suspect not ;-).
MarkP

Post by MarkP »

bignail wrote:In The Showdown, I'm having trouble getting the latisman trigger event to fire. I've searched all over the place and finally went into the code to find out where it is, but going to that location doesn't make the talisman appear. Any suggestions?
I know you said you managed to get it working by replaying the scenario, but the only thing I can think of offhand is that you do have to find (i.e. sight) Mal-Bronam first. If you'd loaded a saved game from before seeing him then went looking for it, you wouldn't ever find it. Incidentally, I have made the talisman a little easier to find (slightly wider radius) and added a comment to hint at its location as I'd had comments that it was too hard.
bignail wrote:BTW, good job on the campaign.
Thanks. I'm pretty happy with it. :D
bignail wrote:Since you asked, the first few scenarios were great well balanced. But then, it gets ridiculously easy. I realize i'm playing on easy, but it's just way too easy even for the beginner.
Thanks for that - I'm not a particularly good player myself, so was unsure about the difficulty. Will see if I can tweak it a little.
bignail wrote:Also, a Drake Inferno is getting placed in the cave with Mal-Bronam.
Uh, whoops? :oops: That was something I was using for testing at one point, but I was sure I'd got rid of it. Anyway, it's gone now - that's fixed in version 0.5.3, which is now available. :)

Also, can someone confirm for me that the Italian translation is working? I can't seem to get Wesnoth to change to Italian at all to test it.
bignall

Post by bignall »

MarkP wrote:
bignail wrote:In The Showdown, I'm having trouble getting the latisman trigger event to fire. I've searched all over the place and finally went into the code to find out where it is, but going to that location doesn't make the talisman appear. Any suggestions?
I know you said you managed to get it working by replaying the scenario, but the only thing I can think of offhand is that you do have to find (i.e. sight) Mal-Bronam first. If you'd loaded a saved game from before seeing him then went looking for it, you wouldn't ever find it. Incidentally, I have made the talisman a little easier to find (slightly wider radius) and added a comment to hint at its location as I'd had comments that it was too hard.
Nope, I had found him first. The Drake Inferno made sure of that. And, he had been outside the cavern before I started seriously looking for it anyway. The only difference seems to be whether or not I loaded a save file. I tried it several times to be sure. If I load the save file, no amount of visiting that area will find the talisman. If I don't load it, it works. There are several errors in the save file that are listed when it's reloaded that may be the cause of the problem (something about not finding a , or =), but it loads anyway. Game version 1.2.1
MarkP

Post by MarkP »

bignall wrote:Nope, I had found him first. The Drake Inferno made sure of that. And, he had been outside the cavern before I started seriously looking for it anyway. The only difference seems to be whether or not I loaded a save file. I tried it several times to be sure. If I load the save file, no amount of visiting that area will find the talisman. If I don't load it, it works. There are several errors in the save file that are listed when it's reloaded that may be the cause of the problem (something about not finding a , or =), but it loads anyway. Game version 1.2.1
Hmmm. I'm using 1.2.0 here, but will have another look at it. Thanks for the feedback. :)

Working on making the other levels a little harder too - mostly giving your opponents more gold at the start. ;)
MarkP

Post by MarkP »

0.5.4 now - but don't be fooled by the minor version increment.

I've incorporated a lot of feedback into this one - many of the levels have been rebalanced to make them harder - in most cases your opponents have more gold, and in a few cases you have less turns than previously. I've also made some adjustments to a couple of maps - particularly the Bandits forest - they should be able to move a lot more freely now.

I've also made a bit of an adjustment to Showdown regarding finding the talisman - hopefully it should work OK now, though I'm still testing it.

Keep the feedback coming. :)
bignall

Post by bignall »

I just got to Return to Morogor. And suddenly, Malakar is back to being a Flare with no experience, my recall list is empty, and Kogw is also missing. What's wrong? Is there any way I can fix it so that I can keep playing?
MarkP

Post by MarkP »

Uh, I think you're confusing Children of Dragons with Flight to Freedom. :)
bignall

Post by bignall »

Oops... you're right. My apologies... I'll go post in the right thread ;-)
MarkP

Post by MarkP »

0.5.5 - only change is that I've added Danish and Dutch translations. :)