Children of Dragons

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

KRCM

Post by KRCM »

I wanted to try it, but the unzip gave my only the campaign's cfg and pbl but the subdirectories aren't there ...
Maintainer Elf War
MarkP

Post by MarkP »

KRCM wrote:I wanted to try it, but the unzip gave my only the campaign's cfg and pbl but the subdirectories aren't there ...
Damn. It's available from the campaign server, otherwise I'll try and upload a new one tonight.
This signature intentionally left blank.
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

There's an actual paved road in FtF (ripped from UtBS), as well as some other drake-related artwork (including a portrait and four other drakes).

In FtF, the drakes originally lived on a tropical island somewhere to the south of Wesnoth called Morogor (before their enslavement). If this campaign has the drakes in caves, it would occur before FtF, which takes place during the Golden Age of Wesnoth (200-350 YW according to the history page on the wiki). However, since Morogor is encountered in TROW, which takes place at about 5BW, this would have to be before even that.

It is also possible for this campaign to be set after FtF. Since Morogor is gradually sinking, the drakes could have been forced into the caves, although this may conflict with the race descriptions page, which says that many (but not all) of the drakes are nomads. This chronology would allow this campaign to explain what ultimately happens to the drakes.

But, your campaign is not obligated to stay true to the accepted history. It is, after all, your campaign.

Also, in FtF, Malakar is somewhat obsessed with revenge on the humans, so his personality should not be used as a model for the personalities of more levelheaded drakes.

Good luck on this!
"ILLEGITIMIS NON CARBORUNDUM"

Father of Flight to Freedom
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/FlightToFreedom
MarkP

Post by MarkP »

Thanks Max. I'd like to keep in line with the existing history as much as possible, so I might have to rethink some aspects of the campaign, though I think having it set before FtF could work - perhaps the campaign will end with them settling on Morogor (if that's the case do you mind me using one or more of your maps?). Will check out those extra images too.

I'm having trouble zipping the campaign to post here (and can't post it as a .tgz), but I'll probably upload it to the campaign server shortly, or you can download it from here.

FWIW in this version I've begun work on the new unit I had planned, but it has only been tested briefly, and only the level 1 unit is done - if you manage to advance your leader, it will probably crash. Other than that there are no changes from the previous version - I've spent most of my time mucking around with images (thanks again MaliciousKorean).
Oreb

Post by Oreb »

I know turin would love this, though he would be staying away from this thread. Apart from FtF, the drakes have no real history, apart from living on a deserted island.
I am Oreb, Lord of the Darthien
Give your comments to the World of Orbivm
RAT400

Post by RAT400 »

So when this is complete we'll have the basis of drake history - the "children of dragons" and how they get to live in Wesnoth. Besides, I'm planning to make another Drake campaign (one scenario so far, will make a thread when I have two) the basic history of which is:

After Hassia (the FtF) became queen of Wesnoth, she lived a long and nice life. But then, the humans decided they should not be ruled by a drake, and so told her son (no name yet) to take his drakes somewhere else. The children of dragons could drown the mutiny in blood, but that would be against their noble traditions. So, they agreed with the human commitee. And now, the drakes live in the far east (the hilly area on the map). Several generations have passed since that mutiny, and since then they have made their form of rule democratic. How democratic? Well, there is a Flameheart council consisting of those Flamehearts that are deemed worthy of ruling. And, that is when you show up...

If this somehow intervenes with the current story (especially the democracy part) let me know - I would not like to snatch away what others created and then twist it :) . If the two other Drake authors agree, however, we'll have a rather complete Drake history - how they came to be (this campaign), how they came to live in Wesnoth (FtF) and what happens later (my campaign).
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

Wait wait, wesnoth was ruled by a drake?!

Where does it say that (I'm pretty sure it isn't mentioned in the history, although I haven't checked)?
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

RAT400, Hassa was from a very early draft of the FtF storyline, which I dropped. In FtF now, the drakes return to Morogor instead of conquering Wesnoth.

MarkP: You're free to use any of my graphics and maps (and any assets in any campaign on the server), since my campaign's under the GPL. Also, does your storyline involve Wesnoth? If so, then it would conflict with the official history, which says that Haldric encountered the Drakes on Morogor, which would push this campaign to before the founding of Wesnoth.
"ILLEGITIMIS NON CARBORUNDUM"

Father of Flight to Freedom
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/FlightToFreedom
MarkP

Post by MarkP »

MadMax wrote:Also, does your storyline involve Wesnoth?
Most likely it won't, no. So I should be pretty easily able to keep it consistent with the accepted history.
Stuka

Post by Stuka »

Just played through (well, almost through) the 3 scenarios. I made the mistake of leveling my leader just as I was about to break out.

I really don't think that 3rd scenario's so bad. It takes a certain mindset to work through it, but it's not really 'slogging' so much as creative battle of attrition (if that's not just a cuter name for slogging!).

So far I like it - love to see where you go with it from here.
santi
Lord of Wesmere

Post by santi »

You may also note, the drakes make an out-of the blue appearance in Legend of Wesmere(Battle of Crelanu's book). The how and why is deliberately not explained there (other than Crelanu's cryptic "one of my associates betrayed me"), so that other campaign writers can have a free hand in making their own story that may hopefuly explain that too.
So if you're looking for furher ideas, here's one: Tying your story
to Battle of the Book. Of course, you don't have to.
MarkP

Post by MarkP »

I don't think I'll try and tie it in with the book - maybe another campaign. ;-)

FWIW, I've started work on the fourth scenario, and have created all 3 levels of the new unit, though I haven't completed the images for level 1 yet - they are very time consuming!

I'm hoping to try and release an update before Christmas, but we'll see how we go.
MarkP

Post by MarkP »

I've just released a new version. There is now a 4th scenario which is playable but not yet complete. And it doesn't crash if you advance your leader. There is still plenty more work to do on the images but it's playable.

It's available from the campaign server or from here

The bad news is you'll have to play the 3rd scenario all over again to get to the 4th. ;-)

Edit (2 minutes later): Just uploaded it again because I'd changed some things for debugging. They're changed back now. :-)
MarkP

Version 0.2.0 released

Post by MarkP »

Version 0.2.0 is now available. The campaign now consists of 8 scenarios, with about 3 or 4 more planned. Still needs balancing, and I haven't yet done any more images. Planning to do the images (or at least some of them) before moving on to the remaining scenarios.

As usual, it's available from the campaign server, or from here.
MarkP

Post by MarkP »

Talking to myself again...

I've just uploaded version 0.2.1. I've made a few minor changes to the new units, and done a lot of work on images - the images are now all done for level 1 and 2 of your leader. No changes to any scenarios - will start working on the next scenario and take a break from images for a bit. ;-)