Children of Dragons

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Jaume

Re: Children of Dragons

Post by Jaume »

Elvish_Hunter wrote:Unfortunately, Drakes are perhaps the only units that cannot really be used to form a defensive line relying on terrains.
Unless it's water (and unless you're not up against nagas or tritons of course :lol2:)
sw_emigre

Post by sw_emigre »

I wasn't able to d/l the worms, but they could be fine. But rats/giant rats are probably more common than worms. (Unless a barrel of apples went REALLY bad.)

2. If some drakes/humans die in chokepoints, that's fine with me. I like scenarios where we have to expect losing units, including good, levelled units. That's been happening to me, and I don't mind, since I still have 4-5 level 3s when I need them. (Or I did before this scenario!)

You bring up a good point about the inability to form a defensive line, so the chokepoints where some drakes die but the assault is held off makes sense to me.

I'm not looking to make this scenario too easy, and maybe I'm just playing it badly. So maybe not too many changes all at once? I don't know how many others have played this on hard (and want to comment on it), but maybe either just more cash and better humans, or a room in the middle to hole up and ride out the storm, but perhaps not both at once?
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

sw_emigre wrote:I wasn't able to d/l the worms, but they could be fine. But rats/giant rats are probably more common than worms. (Unless a barrel of apples went REALLY bad.)
Yes, but rats are too weak for Drakes. And do we really want to negate the crew their cider? :P
Anyway, I'm uploading a zipped version of the campaign with the modified scenario 9. I also added the Nagas with poison, and found that they make the scenario at strategically interesting, as your ranged attacks are no longer safe!
Please test it and let me know.
Attachments
Children_of_Dragons.zip
(1.59 MiB) Downloaded 362 times
Current maintainer of these add-ons, all on 1.16:
The Sojournings of Grog, Children of Dragons, A Rough Life, Wesnoth Lua Pack, The White Troll (co-author)
sw_emigre

Post by sw_emigre »

So I downloaded the file, where do I put it to play it?
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

Since I don't know what OS are you using, I'll suggest you to visit this page: http://wiki.wesnoth.org/EditingWesnoth# ... rectory.3F
Once that you found your add-ons directory, you just unpack the zip file there; optionally, you may choose to make a copy somewhere else of your old Children_of_Dragons directory, as it must be overwritten/replaced.
The Sojournings of Grog, Children of Dragons, A Rough Life, Wesnoth Lua Pack, The White Troll (co-author)
sw_emigre

Post by sw_emigre »

Well I must have erased the whole campaign, so I had to replay to get back to the boat. In any event, I am getting two error messages: unknown unit type giant worm, and unknown naga hunter.

On turn one when my bowman moved up into the middle of the boat, he said something about worms and a room, but the map is still the same.

The changes I saw were more gold, upgraded boat soldiers, and 4 rats in a group in the middle.

I haven't played past turn 2, since apparently something is off for me. (The smell of those rotten apples?)
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

sw_emigre wrote:In any event, I am getting two error messages: unknown unit type giant worm, and unknown naga hunter.
That's strange, as I tested it, both on Linux and Windows, and everything works fine (perhaps something went wrong in the unpacking?). Anyway, I uploaded version 1.0.3, that includes the new scenario 9, as well as a small modification that allows Freon to recall only the Glider line; I also implemented correct defenses on boxes and barrels.
sw_emigre wrote:(The smell of those rotten apples?)
Don't forget that a lot of foods, when rotten, can develop worms: flour, cheese, ... It's not limited to apples.
sw_emigre

Post by sw_emigre »

So if I upload the new campaign, from the title page, add-ons button, will I have to restart the scenario ? How will that work?

(Sorry, I'm not particularly Wesnoth0literate.)
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

You can simply replay the scenario by using a start-of-scenario savegame. These are savegames with only the name of the scenario. Do not use autosaves or manual saves (both have also the turn number in their name), or my updates won't work.
Woodruff

Post by Woodruff »

I can't seem to locate the talisman in the "Showdown" scenario. Very frustrating, because it took me almost ten tries to even make it up to the lich himself anyway, so I fear it may be eons before I get the chance to look again.

I searched throughout the cave, and nothing.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Please don't post the same question in two old topics when one would do.
Turuk wrote:Try searching around the perimeter around of the cave, and see if you have any luck.
I found it twice around the perimeter of the cave in the past, have you searched the entire map? Can you attach a save we can work from?
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Woodruff

Post by Woodruff »

Turuk wrote:Please don't post the same question in two old topics when one would do.
Turuk wrote:Try searching around the perimeter around of the cave, and see if you have any luck.
I found it twice around the perimeter of the cave in the past, have you searched the entire map? Can you attach a save we can work from?
I have not searched for it outside of the cave, if that's what you're asking. Based on the in-game statement that the lich wouldn't keep it far from him, I thought that was a hint that it would definitely be inside of the cave. Is that not the case?

EDIT: Ok, I looked as far north on the map on both sides as I could, as well as within the volcanoes and mud pits outside of the cave. Nothing. I am attaching a save-file.
Attachments
CoD-Showdown-Auto-Save21.gz
(40.85 KiB) Downloaded 260 times
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

Woodruff wrote:I have not searched for it outside of the cave, if that's what you're asking. Based on the in-game statement that the lich wouldn't keep it far from him, I thought that was a hint that it would definitely be inside of the cave. Is that not the case?

EDIT: Ok, I looked as far north on the map on both sides as I could, as well as within the volcanoes and mud pits outside of the cave. Nothing. I am attaching a save-file.
Thank you for the bug report. I'll look at it as soon as i can.
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

After ten other busy days, I'm happy to announce the release of version 1.0.4 of CoD for the 1.10.x series. This will be the final update for the stable series, because I'll move the campaign to the 1.11 series.
Basically, I decided to change the whole talisman mechanism: now said Talisman is a unit that is created when you find Mal-Bronam, and you must kill it. In its description, I even decided to lampshade the fact that it was left in open sight. Maybe Mal-Bronam needs to read the Evil Overlord List... :P
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

I just uploaded version 1.1.0 of Children of Dragon on the 1.11/1.12 add-ons server. This means that the 1.10 series is now unsupported. This version includes only WML updates like the new AnimationWML syntax and [filter_vision], but no gameplay changes.
As usual, please report any bug that you may find and post any suggestion that you have.