Children of Dragons

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Elvish_Hunter

Re: Children of Dragons

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

maclag wrote:Back again.
Finally passed! Wouf...
I'm glad that you managed to pass that scenario :wink:
its_crunchtime wrote:What a fun campaign! I'm really enjoying it so far :P
There is a reason if I decided to update it...
its_crunchtime wrote:But I just ran into a speed-bump... On the level after "Sea Journey"(Where you have to scout out the fog) My level 3 Kahn was reverted to level 1 again. Is this intentional?
(Though I can't imagine why it would be, just saying..)
Of course it isn't intentional! I tried, using the debug console, to win the scenario in both allowed ways (by time over and by killing all Nagas after turn 19), and this problem didn't showed up for me. :annoyed: Can you kindly attach your replay of Sea Journey and your start-of-scenario saves of Sea Journey and Landing on Morogor, so I can try to check them?
In the meantime, do this:

Code: Select all

:debug
:unit advances=2
:nodebug
:clear
while keeping your mouse pointer on Kahn. This will make him level 3 again (clear is just to get rid of the debug console output).
Current maintainer of these add-ons, all on 1.16:
The Sojournings of Grog, Children of Dragons, A Rough Life, Wesnoth Lua Pack, The White Troll (co-author)
Hovnul

Post by Hovnul »

I have seen the same bug than crunchtime

crunchtime wrote:On the level after "Sea Journey"(Where you have to scout out the fog) My level 3 Kahn was reverted to level 1 again.

In fact it happen after Landing on Morogor but anyway, I meet some problems when I try to find "Landing on Morogor replay" it doesn't work as you will see

So I send you: replay of Sea Journey and your start-of-scenario saves of Sea Journey and Landing on Morogor and some others

I think bug are in 'Landing on Morogor' because I cannot see anything in replay file and I haven't got any autosave file

Oh, and I am french so filename are different: Débarquement à Morogor (Landing...), Nettoyer l'île et Voyage en mer(Sea Journey) and sorry for my bad english.
I really enjoy this campain so I try to help you :D good luck
Attachments
Khanlevel1.zip
Morogor'sbug
(153.56 KiB) Downloaded 373 times
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

Hovnul wrote:So I send you: replay of Sea Journey and your start-of-scenario saves of Sea Journey and Landing on Morogor and some others
Thank you so much, Hovnul! This was really useful! :D
Hovnul wrote:I think bug are in 'Landing on Morogor' because I cannot see anything in replay file and I haven't got any autosave file
After opening your replay I noticed the very same thing. Kahn and Freon were recalled correctly, so - I guessed - problem should have been in side 2, that didn't recruited or moved in your replay. I opened the scenario and I found that side 2 (undead) didn't had any ID. So I added one, and also a name. Here there is a patched scenario, please test it (by replacing it in your scenario folder and restarting from that scenario) and let me know if it works. If yes, soon I'll upload a new version. Thanks again!
EDIT: Version 0.9.6 is on the 1.8 server, with the above bugfix.
Attachments
10_Landing_on_Morogor.cfg
(4.51 KiB) Downloaded 622 times
The Sojournings of Grog, Children of Dragons, A Rough Life, Wesnoth Lua Pack, The White Troll (co-author)
Arawn

Post by Arawn »

Great campaign! Granted, the art could use some work, but it get's the point across and besides, the sprites are good, so I like it. The story was good, it all made sense, and I think it added a lot to the game.

A few things I noticed:
About the scenario where Kahn reverts to level 1: might it have something to do with the dialogue? I can't claim to be a master Wesnoth programmer, but it looks like the first line that comes up belonged at the end of the previous scenario. Could this affect something in how units are declared? I can't see the code, but what if you're having Kahn speak before defining his side? Just a totally random thought, I may be wrong on this.

This next thing is merely a suggestion. When you're on the ship fighting off the naga's, it looks like all units belong to you and will be yours to keep. Thus, I tried hard to level up the sergent and got him up to level 3, after which I lost him. Could some humans stay with the drakes for guidance (mainly the sergent, I don't care for spearmen). On the other hand, it would probably break the focus on Drakes.

This I would like to see in future versions: could there be some sort of a healing unit? I realize that an important tactic is knowing how to fight without a healer, but going an entire campaign without one is a bit annoying. A different Drake campaign, Brave Wings, solved this by creating a wizard-drake unit (which was awesome btw). Maybe you could do something similar? Or maybe the drakes can run into a white mage on the island who is willing to help in clearing the undead? Maybe I'm just saying this because white mages are my favorite units.

These are small suggestions (other than the healing bit). This was a great campaign and congrats for making it. I especially liked how it didn't run on forever. I hate it when campaigns go on and on and on. You had a good, clear, focused objective with good dialog, interesting fights, and good maps. That's awesome.
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

Arawn wrote:Great campaign! Granted, the art could use some work, but it get's the point across and besides, the sprites are good, so I like it. The story was good, it all made sense, and I think it added a lot to the game.
Arawn wrote:This was a great campaign and congrats for making it. I especially liked how it didn't run on forever. I hate it when campaigns go on and on and on. You had a good, clear, focused objective with good dialog, interesting fights, and good maps. That's awesome.
Thanks, also on behalf of MarkP.
Arawn wrote:About the scenario where Kahn reverts to level 1: might it have something to do with the dialogue?
No, it was totally unrelated.
Elvish_Hunter wrote: I opened the scenario and I found that side 2 (undead) didn't had any ID. So I added one, and also a name.
Arawn wrote:This next thing is merely a suggestion. When you're on the ship fighting off the naga's, it looks like all units belong to you and will be yours to keep. Thus, I tried hard to level up the sergent and got him up to level 3, after which I lost him. Could some humans stay with the drakes for guidance (mainly the sergent, I don't care for spearmen). On the other hand, it would probably break the focus on Drakes.
I see. I think that the best solution will be to add a message saying "Your human units will leave at the end of the scenario."
Arawn wrote:This I would like to see in future versions: could there be some sort of a healing unit? I realize that an important tactic is knowing how to fight without a healer, but going an entire campaign without one is a bit annoying. A different Drake campaign, Brave Wings, solved this by creating a wizard-drake unit (which was awesome btw). Maybe you could do something similar? Or maybe the drakes can run into a white mage on the island who is willing to help in clearing the undead? Maybe I'm just saying this because white mages are my favorite units.
Maybe the best place where to put one loyal White Mage is the forest with the Ghosts. About the healer from BW, the sprite was originally from the 1.2 version of LoW. Probably a Drake Healer with an AMLA system (starting from heals +4 and gaining heals +6, then heals +8 and cure) will be the best option, considering that a White Mage (especially if not quick) will have problems keeping their speed.
Arawn

Post by Arawn »

Elvish_Hunter wrote:Maybe the best place where to put one loyal White Mage is the forest with the Ghosts. About the healer from BW, the sprite was originally from the 1.2 version of LoW. Probably a Drake Healer with an AMLA system (starting from heals +4 and gaining heals +6, then heals +8 and cure) will be the best option, considering that a White Mage (especially if not quick) will have problems keeping their speed.
Hmm... I see your point. Still, I personally don't see the problem with a white mage. This is a poor example, but in the 3rd or 4th scenario of A Tale of Two Brothers, the player can choose to add a shock trooper to the party. An adviser suggests that the unit is too slow and will only slow the party down, but in the end it is left up to the player. Maybe we can be given the choice of getting a white mage in the forests with the ghosts, while starting out with a drake healer unit. Maybe Kahn gets such a drake servant after becoming leader? I would find it acceptable for the leader of the Drake race to have a healer/wizard drake following him around. But I'll leave that up to you. The only thing that I will add is that if you stick to the healing progression you have listed above, +4, +6 and cure, +8 and cure might be a better choice. Not having the cure ability until L3 would be a pain. But again, up to you. Great campaign.
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

Given my work on TSoG, on Lua, and my relative silence on this campaign, some of you may have thought that I abandoned Kahn and Freon. Nothing more wrong: Children of Dragons is now on the 1.9 server, this means that the 1.8 version is now unsupported. These are all the changes that I made for 1.9.8:
Spoiler:
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

Double post, but this is to answer publicly to a question that I received via PM.
Neuromancer wrote:In the first scenario in line 61 there is extra_recruit= which results in unplayable campaign; main hero isnt able to recruit anything.
It Works For Me™. On which Wesnoth version are you playing? extra_recruit= is supported only on most recent versions, like 1.9.7 and 1.9.8, and here it works well. As a proof of this, I attach my screenshot:
Schermata-4.jpg
Neuromancer

Post by Neuromancer »

Im playing on 1.9.6 and that is apparently causing the problem.
Arawn

Post by Arawn »

Alright... you added healers! I will replay this soon then. It has always been one of my favorites.
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

01_Leader_of_the_Drakes.cfg: A few recruited drake magi in the opponent's team could make this much more challenging. Telling how many drake magi I'm allowed to recruit would be nice.
03_The_Emerging.cfg: Tedious bottleneck-fights. Freon in the village at 21,22 can alone block several whelps since they don't attack. Maybe make the tunnels wider.
07_Bandits.cfg: Player is forced to fight in the midth to defend the allied leader. Being able to tell the allied leader where to go (such as in some LoW versions) would be great here and go along with a fundamental strategy change.
08_To_the_Ships.cfg: A few recruited drake magi in the opponent's teams could make this much more challenging. IIRC it was here: disallow_extra_recruit for the drake magi doesn't work since the key is not type= but extra_recruit= ! I restricted myself to no longer recruit them though. (That code is ill-placed in deaths.cfg...)
09_Sea_Journey.cfg: IMHO the toughest scenario in an overall relatively easy campaign. Maybe make shorter, quite tedious.
10_Landing_on_Morogor.cfg: bug: Load attached save and proceed to this scenario. It ends after the start event! Not a wml bug I guess. Note that it doesn't reproduce when using the start-of-scenario save.
11_Clearing_the_Island.cfg: The map is way too large.
12_Showdown.cfg: I looked in the code to find out where to move to to reveal the talisman. This should be made somewhat more obvious. Also, if the lich attacks he doesn't get healed the retaliation damage (before the talisman is destroyed).
Attachments
scenario_ends.gz
(47.08 KiB) Downloaded 329 times
projects (BfW 1.12):
A Simple Campaign: campaign draft for wml startersPlan Your Advancements: mp mod
The Earth's Gut: sp campaignSettlers of Wesnoth: mp scenarioWesnoth Lua Pack: lua tags and utils
updated to 1.8 and handed over: A Gryphon's Tale: sp campaign
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

Anonymissimus, thank you for the report.
Anonymissimus wrote:Telling how many drake magi I'm allowed to recruit would be nice.
Anonymissimus wrote:IIRC it was here: disallow_extra_recruit for the drake magi doesn't work since the key is not type= but extra_recruit= ! I restricted myself to no longer recruit them though. (That code is ill-placed in deaths.cfg...)
Anonymissimus wrote:12_Showdown.cfg: I looked in the code to find out where to move to to reveal the talisman. This should be made somewhat more obvious. Also, if the lich attacks he doesn't get healed the retaliation damage (before the talisman is destroyed).
All these issues will be fixed.
Anonymissimus wrote:10_Landing_on_Morogor.cfg: bug: Load attached save and proceed to this scenario. It ends after the start event! Not a wml bug I guess. Note that it doesn't reproduce when using the start-of-scenario save.
I have absolutely no idea of what triggers this bug. I even attempted twice to fix it in the past... :twisted:
Anonymissimus wrote:01_Leader_of_the_Drakes.cfg: A few recruited drake magi in the opponent's team could make this much more challenging.
Anonymissimus wrote:08_To_the_Ships.cfg: A few recruited drake magi in the opponent's teams could make this much more challenging.
Hmm... Drake Magi have a powerful cold attack against other Drakes, but are very weak. I'm not sure if it's a good idea. :hmm:
All the other balancing issue will be dealt later.
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

Elvish_Hunter wrote:
Anonymissimus wrote:10_Landing_on_Morogor.cfg: bug: Load attached save and proceed to this scenario. It ends after the start event! Not a wml bug I guess. Note that it doesn't reproduce when using the start-of-scenario save.
I have absolutely no idea of what triggers this bug. I even attempted twice to fix it in the past... :twisted:
Well it must be something related to carryover. In the next scenario after the unexpected victory, the leader is "resetted" to the default one. The recall list is still present, didn't look at gold.
Somehow I think [endlevel] behavior is inherently buggy since it got rewritten in 1.7.
Hmm... Drake Magi have a powerful cold attack against other Drakes, but are very weak. I'm not sure if it's a good idea. :hmm:
What's the difference to suicide-dark-adepts ?
projects (BfW 1.12):
A Simple Campaign: campaign draft for wml startersPlan Your Advancements: mp mod
The Earth's Gut: sp campaignSettlers of Wesnoth: mp scenarioWesnoth Lua Pack: lua tags and utils
updated to 1.8 and handed over: A Gryphon's Tale: sp campaign
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

Version 1.0.1 is on the 1.9 server. Changes this time are mainly bugfixes:
  • In the first scenario, you are told exactly how many Drake Magi you can recruit.
  • Fixed [disallow_extra_recruit] not working.
  • Fixed Mal Bronam not healed if he attacks.
  • Moved code for Drake Magi recruitment to its own common_utils.cfg file.
Later I'll fix also the other issues, including finding the piece of WML that triggers the [endlevel] bug. I'll also try adding Drake Magi to enemy sides, and see what happens.
Imperios

Post by Imperios »

I liked the campaign! I am the Drakes' fan generally, and the whole thing is great! Here are my advice
* On that "ship" mission where you defend against the nagas, why does ship look like a big island of rock floating in the water? You could add castle tiles, at least- and mark them so they would be counted as plain/grassland/whatever.
* Make a Level 3 Drake mage, I would like if he will have illuminate or something.
* That's all, generally.