What name shall it be?

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Which name do you prefer?

Poll ended at May 6th, 2004, 6:39 am

Draken
25%
Drak
3%
Draco
No votes
Draconic-X
11%
Dragarion
17%
Draconian
31%
Drake
14%

Total votes: 36

Insinuator

What name shall it be?

Post by Insinuator »

Well, after extensive and tedious reading of the topic of Drakonian nomenclature, I have culled what I believe to be the different ideas that were suggested therein. Variations in spelling with one or two are inevitable, no one in the topic seemed to be able to stick with something for more than five posts. I'll run this poll for a week.
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

Good idea. I was about to suggest a poll myself.
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

just a note- i don't think anyone proposed Dragarion-X. it was a joke. and it will mess up the poll results by having it on (already 2 people have voted for it).
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

This is a clear example of why simple polling doesn't work. We need a ranked polling mechanism...
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

O_o drake is getting to many votes! must assasinate....voters.
let's assume it says "Drakonics" instead of Drakon-X okay?
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Darth Fool wrote:This is a clear example of why simple polling doesn't work. We need a ranked polling mechanism...
This can work -- just take the top contenders from this poll and make another poll with them. Repeat until there is one clear winner.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

Dave wrote:
Darth Fool wrote:This is a clear example of why simple polling doesn't work. We need a ranked polling mechanism...
This can work -- just take the top contenders from this poll and make another poll with them. Repeat until there is one clear winner.

David
Yeah, but you don't get the immediate gratification of seeinng results the way you would with an instant runoff. Still, as a proponent of delayed gratification, I guess I shouldn't complain.
Gafgarion

Post by Gafgarion »

I say call the whole thing off and name them Bunnies.
-Gafgarion
Elvish Pillager wrote:Normal Trolls use clubs, not ostriches.
"Language is the source of misunderstandings." -Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Shade

Why I proposed Draken

Post by Shade »

Quite simply, while I like the feel of the work Draken, as it has the Drake Dragon-Like association, without being as generic as just 'drake', and without implying that these things are actual dragons, I don't actually think the name is that important. Wesnoth is a Fantasy game (well, duh!), and for the most part it seems to 'Wesnothize' generic fantasy elements. My problem with 'Draconian' is that it has a very strong association with an already existing, heavily branded, fantasy world. 'Draconian', while widely recognisable, just isn't as generic to fantasy as the label 'elf' or 'dwarf'. Basically, I'm all for any name that doesn't have an existing 'brand' association, isn't misleading, and isn't so generic as to apply to any one of a dozen things. As always, just my $.02.
Shade

Bunnies

Post by Shade »

or, I could just opt for bunnies too. . .
Kamahawk

Post by Kamahawk »

Bunnies sounds great to me.
My contributions to the Wesnoth Project over time are inversly proportional to the number of registered forum users!
Piet Hein wrote:Knowing what thou knowest not is in a sence Omniscience
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

BUNNIES!!!

or drakes. ;)

don't make up names. we haven't anywhere else- don't start now.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Dacyn

Post by Dacyn »

I'm not really sure how to vote in this poll...what is the name for? It has something to do with a dragon race, but what about the dragons are we naming?
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

Dacyn wrote:I'm not really sure how to vote in this poll...what is the name for? It has something to do with a dragon race, but what about the dragons are we naming?
Oh, I was beginning to think that we were trying to come up with a name for a bunny race :wink: To answere your question, neoriceisgood started making some awesome artwork for a humanoid race of dragon like creatures (see http://wesnoth.whitevine.net/forum/phpB ... php?t=1102) Good artwork is a major step in getting any new unit approved, although good ideas will sometime inspire enough to get a good artist to pitch in. An idea for a unit without artistic support dies a miserable death. So, back to the point, nobody (I presume) wants to waste the unit artwork, especially when there is a whole race worth of new pics, but we all seem to have different ideas about a Wesnothian sounding name for the race. Hence the poll... speaking of which, is it time to start the run-off between draken, draconian, and bunnies?
Dacyn

Post by Dacyn »

Darth Fool wrote:but we all seem to have different ideas about a Wesnothian sounding name for the race. Hence the poll
finally, that was a long answer for a simple question :)
so the word 'draconian' is supposed to refer to 'the race of dragons'? "Draconian consists of all fire-breathing monsters that"...
I voted for Drake, it was the only one that sounded like a noun. :)