New Campaign: Doomed Elves

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Glowing Fish

New Campaign: Doomed Elves

Post by Glowing Fish »

I did make a post about this previously, when my campaign was just a zip file.

It is now on the campaign server.

I have updated it once already since it has been on there. There are three playable scenarios, and even three winnable scenarios, although the third scenario needs badly to be balanced. It is kind of a charnel house right now.

There is a known issue with the fact that the Cockatrice unit, which I thought was mainline, is only available for those who have downloaded the HttT campaign. I am trying to figure out an answer for that.

31 downloads so far. All opinions, technical or otherwise, are welcome. Even really mean opinions.
Don't go to Glowing Fish for advice, he will say both yes and no.
Rhuvaen
Inactive Developer

Re: New Campaign: Doomed Elves

Post by Rhuvaen »

Glowing Fish wrote:It is now on the campaign server.
:?: Is it now? I can't see it (version 1.1.11). You're not uploading onto the "old" stable server with a new stable version to be released soon?
Glowing Fish

Re: New Campaign: Doomed Elves

Post by Glowing Fish »

Rhuvaen wrote:
Glowing Fish wrote:It is now on the campaign server.
:?: Is it now? I can't see it (version 1.1.11). You're not uploading onto the "old" stable server with a new stable version to be released soon?
I don't know, I assumed that since I was using 1.1.8 (which is what Edgy Eft has), that it would upload to trunk server.

Do I need to specify a port number and all that?

At least some people have been getting it, there are 52 downloads last time I checked...
Glowing Fish

Post by Glowing Fish »

Since I am still running 1.1.8, my campaign has not been published to the new campaign server.

I could attempt to update my version, but I am assuming, perhaps wrongfully so, that Edgy Eft (the testing version of Ubuntu) will update very soon. When it does, I will publish my campaign to the main server.

In the meantime, I have worked it up to four playable scenarios, and a story scenario. I still have to add lots of dialog, and my WML is messy and incomplete, but I am pretty proud of what I have done so far.
l'ultimo cruco

Post by l'ultimo cruco »

Glowing Fish wrote:Since I am still running 1.1.8, my campaign has not been published to the new campaign server.
In the meantime, I have worked it up to four playable scenarios, and a story scenario. I still have to add lots of dialog, and my WML is messy and incomplete, but I am pretty proud of what I have done so far.
Sorry to say, but I downloaded it from the 1.1.8 server and gave it a try, but get a error "frist scenario: Uncursed Isle"(or something like that) not found.
I'm running BfW 1.1.11 but I don't think that should make a difference. Other "old" campaigns load flawlessly with the new version.
Glowing Fish

Post by Glowing Fish »

I have to find someone who knows how to fix WML. Because I have put a lot of effort into this, but it seems to be messing up at each step along the way! But for now I have to leave.

For now, I get an E for effort, and an F for f***ing up!
Glowing Fish

Post by Glowing Fish »

I have 1.1.11 now, and so I am posting my campaign to the 1.1.11 server.

Known issues:

1. Cockatrice unit is only up for those who who have HttT installed
2. The Wolf unit works, but the graphics for it don't appear at all
3. I will probably want to set one of my AI leaders to guardian in third scenario
4. The fifth scenario (4th playable), is just sketched out at this point.

This is version 2.0
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Glowing Fish wrote:Known issues:

1. Cockatrice unit is only up for those who who have HttT installed
No. Having HttT installed doesn't help any - the first scenario crashes on the unknown unit.
Glowing Fish

Post by Glowing Fish »

I don't know why it works on my system, then.

What OS are you using? It shouldn't at all depend on the OS, but that is all I can think of.

I am going to comment it out in the first scenario, for now. It isn't important.
Chris NS

Post by Chris NS »

I had a look at the first scenario, but it seems far from balanced. The only effective units available for fighting sea creatures are the level 1 mermen, and expecting them to fight that many level 2 and level 3 opponents seems a lot to ask for. Maybe if your allies helped out it might be an easier task, but by default it seems your allies recruit mostly land units.

Alternatively, could the objective just be to hold out for 20 turns? That seems enough of a challenge for a first scenario.
Glowing Fish

Post by Glowing Fish »

Chris NS wrote:I had a look at the first scenario, but it seems far from balanced. The only effective units available for fighting sea creatures are the level 1 mermen, and expecting them to fight that many level 2 and level 3 opponents seems a lot to ask for. Maybe if your allies helped out it might be an easier task, but by default it seems your allies recruit mostly land units.

Alternatively, could the objective just be to hold out for 20 turns? That seems enough of a challenge for a first scenario.
Noted...I think it might be too easy of a scenario, actually. But then I designed it, so I know what is going on.

If you don't fight the monster side, your allies would win on their own by turn 20. Even with land units, they have a lot of money, and they will eventually recruit enough to attack the AI. Or so it seems.
Glowing Fish

Post by Glowing Fish »

I commented out all the references to the Cockatrice's in my campaign, because even though I like them and think they make a unique enemy, it seems that the campaign was unplayable without them.

So far the response to my campaign has not been too overwhelming, but I am hoping to get some response. Even if I don't, I will continue to put work into it.
grochti

Post by grochti »

Hi,
As i have played through virtually every other campaign available, i decided to try yours. I finished the first to scenarios & just playing number 3.
The story line does not make much sense too me. Spiders should not be leaders & recruit other units on castles, that unwesnotian :roll: . Maybe you could replace them by some kind of magi.
Being able to recruit as much healer as you like makes any level easy.

scenario 1: Finished after 9 turns, no resistance of what so ever. AI should have much more gold. Map could be smaller, it was kind of boring to watch the ai shuffle their units around.

scenario 2: Finished at turn 15, this level was ridiculosly easy again. Map is much too huge for my taste. Dwarfs recruiting trolls seems inappropriate. Fog hiding nothing has no point.

scenario 3: Extremly rough terrain. Gryphons are no real match.

I am going to edit this short review while i make progress through your campaign.
Glowing Fish

Post by Glowing Fish »

Thank you for your reviews!

It is indeed hard for me to adjust the difficulty level, because I thought that what would be easy for me, as the person who knows what is going on in the campaign, would be slightly harder for others.

The first scenario was supposed to be easy. It is designed as an introductory scenario, so the player can level up some units. At least one other person has complained that it is too hard, though.

As far as the spiders recruiting units, I know in some ways it doesn't make sense, but this is a fantasy game. One of the points of the scenario (to give away a spoiler) is this is the era when all the sentient races in Wesnoth lived in harmony. That is why the trolls and the dwarves lived together. Only the monsters would attack others.

The plot, I hope, will make sense as the campaign progresses. Balancing is my biggest worry!