Devel campaign server cleanup

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

freim
Retired Terrain Art Director

Devel campaign server cleanup

Post by freim »

A lot of the content on the devel campaign server is currently broken. This will eventually become the campaign server for the new stable release (1.2) so we would like to make sure the content will work with Wesnoth 1.2.

One solution would be to wipe it clean, but we would like to avoid that. Thats where you come in:
* Test and report in this thread what is working and whats not
* Update your campaign if it's not working

If we get a good respons on this we can avoid having to wipe it clean. Note that the purpose of this thread is to get a status overview of the content, not discuss things like that we should add a content rating system, filtering etc. We are fully aware of that it would be nice to have stuff like that and it will be implemented when someone gets around to it, but it will not happen for Wesnoth 1.2

Edit: just to clarify, always test with the latest 1.1.x release.

Also, make sure your campaign conform to:
http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11990

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Reported working:
* The Era of Myths
* The Dark Elves?
* Son of the Black Eye, version 1.1
* Northern Rebirth
* An Orcish Incursion
* Mystery Campaign
* Invasion of Arendia
* Ilayin the Illusionist
* The Extended & Naval Era
* Noyga's maps

Reported being worked on:

Reported broken:
* Son of the Black Eye, bogus version. Will be removed

Reported as unmaintained:
* Peasant Era

EDIT: Destickyfied. -zookeeper
Last edited by freim on August 19th, 2007, 2:00 pm, edited 5 times in total.
JW

Post by JW »

The Era of Myths is compatible.
zaimoni

Post by zaimoni »

Mystery Campaign is still down, due to the code changes between 1.1.2 and 1.1.5. breaking random maps for campaigns by generating the map before initializing the RNG. Cf. https://gna.org/bugs/?func=detailitem&item_id=6243 and http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11834

I assume that random scenarios are also broken for campaigns, but don't know if that code path is exercised.

Should I go ahead and prepare the kludge patch for both, for the patches registry? I'd rather get to the root of the problem (random name generation), but tracing the flow of control for that is more intricate.
freim

Post by freim »

zaimoni wrote:Mystery Campaign is still down, due to the code changes between 1.1.2 and 1.1.5. breaking random maps for campaigns by generating the map before initializing the RNG. Cf. https://gna.org/bugs/?func=detailitem&item_id=6243 and http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11834

I assume that random scenarios are also broken for campaigns, but don't know if that code path is exercised.

Should I go ahead and prepare the kludge patch for both, for the patches registry? I'd rather get to the root of the problem (random name generation), but tracing the flow of control for that is more intricate.
Is there a bug report for it?
zaimoni

Post by zaimoni »

freim

Post by freim »

zaimoni wrote:Yes. To reiterate, bug #6243:

https://gna.org/bugs/?func=detailitem&item_id=6243
I completely missed that :oops:

I'll see if I can shake out a coder to look at it. Put the cludge on hold for now.
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

If it's possible, while people are testing the campaigns anyway, could the campaigns and eras that leak units, etc into other campaigns and eras, therefore breaking them, get reported too, I've had some units leaking over into IoA and I assume that it has happened in other campaigns too.

BTW, I know that IoA has a bug on the server, I've fixed it but I can't access the server from school so I'll either update it when I get the chance to go home if 1.2 isn't out by then, or I'll ask somebody on the forums to do it and send them the .pbl file. I also know that IoA shouldn't leak onto other campaigns, according to the fix for this kind of problem that zookeeper posted in that announcement.
ILikeProgramming

Post by ILikeProgramming »

The Dark Elves should be working, but I'll update them soon because they're quite outdated.
Taurus
Inactive Developer

Post by Taurus »

Son of the Black Eye (version 1.1, campaing author "Taurus") is compatable. Someone uploaded another version which is broken, but I have no controll over that.

Northern Rebirth is compatable as well. It has a few bugs that I am working on - the extra difficulty level is throwing broken, as well as the music, but none of these actually breaks the campaign. In any case, they should be fixed soon.
Creater of the campaign, "Northern Rebirth"

Compleater of the campaign, "Son of the Black Eye"
allefant
Units Database Administrator

Post by allefant »

"An Orcish Incursion" is working.
vonHalenbach
Translator

Post by vonHalenbach »

Taurus wrote:Son of the Black Eye (version 1.1, campaing author "Taurus") is compatable. Someone uploaded another version which is broken, but I have no controll over that.
Yeah, the file which is broken, is "/dev/Son_of_the_Black_Eye__Updated_.tgz
Please delete that newbie trap, i have stepped into! :evil:

Greetings
Stefan
ivanovic
Lord of Translations

Post by ivanovic »

I think it might be best to completely wipe out the content on the server to have a clean start. Of course we would warn some days before so that every campaign author can upload his content he is working on directly after the cleanup. The positive effects of this for us are:
1) Cleaning is a lot faster done.
2) No broken stuff is forgoten.
3) Clean download numbers. The stats are not only high because the campaign already exists for ages but because it was downloaded most often in the 1.2 time.

I think all the people activly maintaining the campaigns can easily reupload. The ones not to be uploaded again are likely to be broken. At least they are not maintained anymore and if there are bugs there is no way to fix them.

This is not a fixed decission yet and there is no date if this is done either. ATM it is just an idea to "simplify" the cleanup work.
JW

Post by JW »

I have no problem with ivanovic's proposal. I can easily get my items back on the server.
vonHalenbach
Translator

New Proposal : BfW 1.02 Gold Edition

Post by vonHalenbach »

After reading the proposal of ivanovic, i am a bit scared, because as i see it, the 1.02 will be deleted from the server to make space for the shiney new 1.2.

I have played the 1.02 for quite some time, and i like it because it is stable, lean and fast. When it is planned to delete all 1.0 campaigns from the download server, someone should make a package with all working campaigns and the main program of BfW.
E.G. a Gold Edition for people who like this version more than the shiney but slow and bloated 1.2 because they would not be able to load a campaign from the server in the future.

Stefan von Halenbach
JW

Re: New Proposal : BfW 1.02 Gold Edition

Post by JW »

vonHalenbach wrote:After reading the proposal of ivanovic, i am a bit scared, because as i see it, the 1.02 will be deleted from the server to make space for the shiney new 1.2.
Why are you scared? 1.2 is going to be the new 1.0 - i.e. the new stable branch...

1.0 will be useless once 1.2 is released.

Besides:
freim wrote:A lot of the content on the devel campaign server is currently broken. This will eventually become the campaign server for the new stable release (1.2) so we would like to make sure the content will work with Wesnoth 1.2.