Wanna try

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Elvish_Star

Wanna try

Post by Elvish_Star »

I like wesnoth

I would like to try and write a campaign, which would feature dwarves beating the crap out of goblins & dragons. However, before starting such a project I would like to know a few things :

- Is the campaign making tool (which I plan to use extensively) considered as "enough" in term of possibilities to make a thrilling campaign ?

- Have you got a few hints about how to find GPL-compatible png files ?

- How can I easily make two string sets (I plan for my campaign to be available in both french and english) ?

- Well, any general advice is welcome, but don't expect anything "really playable" to be ready too soon. I plan on making a modest 6 to 8 scenarios campaign.
toms

Post by toms »

1: There is the CampGen, but I don't know its stage of development. appleide is going to make a WML text editor, but it's unfinished. I use a normal text editor for WML.

2: http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/GraphicLibrary

3: You mean a translation. My advice: Do the English version first, and then translate it. Check the wiki, the WesCamp is described there.
First read, then think. Read again, think again. And then post!
scott

Post by scott »

You can make a decent campaign with CampGen. You can make a good campaign with good maps, good challenges, and good dialog. You do not need fancy WML event tricks to do any of those.

I wouldn't worry about impressing other people. You probably won't finish the campaign if you do. Write a campaign that is fun and exciting to you and you alone. I believe that will give you the greatest chance of actually finishing it. Others will probably like it if you like it, and some won't -- which is exactly what would happen if you tried to please other people.

My other tip is to completely plan out the entire campaign first down to the scenario level.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
gacoperz

Post by gacoperz »

To me a good campain in a strategy game must have both: good storyline (cmon, can't save the world all the time :D) and well designed maps. For the first thing you should take paper and pencil and start writing down the storyline. When you are satisfied start dividing into missions. The second part is maps. If the mission can be accomplished by simply rushing twards enemy then, let's face it, fighting will be boring. Map should require the player to use any tactical advantages available, or even all of them in order to claim the victory. Then and only then will he feel the satisfactiom from a victory.
This advice isnt just for wesnoth. It goes for any strategy game with custom campaigns.
As for the WML tricks, frankly, i myself prefer to use known gae mechanics against new challenges than to learn new mechanics each campaign.

Oh, and dont forget about playtesting the campaign!
Flametrooper

Post by Flametrooper »

Question: Can CampGen even create WML events? Let's say I want to make a scenario where when the time is up, you win (a basic defense scene), how could I do this? I checked its event editor and could not find a way.
hey.
toms

Post by toms »

Flametrooper:

Code: Select all

[event]
name=time over
 (some story scene&dialogues)
 [endlevel]
 result=victory
 bonus=no (?)
 [/endlevel]
[/event]
First read, then think. Read again, think again. And then post!
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

toms wrote:Flametrooper:

Code: Select all

[event]
name=time over
 (some story scene&dialogues)
 [endlevel]
 result=victory
 bonus=no (?)
 [/endlevel]
[/event]
He knows how to do it, he doesn't know how to do it using campgen... :roll:
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm