Correct Campaign Path...

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Thanatos

Correct Campaign Path...

Post by Thanatos »

Hey guys,

just wanted to start testing my campaign developing skills. No big plan or so... just testing what is possible... But I have a little prob:

The Wiki gives me two options for the Campaign Directory:
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/BuildingCam ... yStructure is saying:
To build a campaign in the Wesnoth user path you must place it in ~/.wesnoth .
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/EditingWesnoth is saying:
* userdata/data/campaigns/MyCampaign.cfg - a text file
* userdata/data/campaigns/MyCampaign/ - a subdirectory
o userdata/data/campaigns/MyCampaign/scenarios
o userdata/data/campaigns/MyCampaign/units
o userdata/data/campaigns/MyCampaign/images
o userdata/data/campaigns/MyCampaign/music
o userdata/data/campaigns/MyCampaign/sounds
o userdata/data/campaigns/MyCampaign/utils
Now I'm asking myself: Which one is right? If someone could tell me, I would also correct the wrong entry on the wiki page...

Thx.
Than
ThanatoNoth | Necromanteion | Undead Rights Protection Society
"The gods can demand nothing of me. Even gods answer to me, eventually. [...] I cannot be bidden, I cannot be forced. I will do only that which I know to be right." (Death in Pratchett's "Mort")
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Re: Correct Campaign Path...

Post by Ranger M »

I think that both are right, in linux the file which the data/campaigns directory is in is called .wesnoth/. On other operating systems it might be different, might be the same, but it's the userdata folder, you'll recognise it because it's the folder with lots of directorys named after the campaigns (all of the ones you downloaded, not the mainline ones)
NeoPhile

Post by NeoPhile »

They're both right, but neither is complete. What the first one is saying, essentially, is that userdata = ~/.wesnoth.

The correct path in linux is ~/.wesnoth/data/campaigns/My_Campaign.cfg (and so on for the other files). In windows, it's something like C:\Documents and Settings\username\.wesnoth\data\campaigns\My_Campaign.cfg (I'm not a windows user, so I'm guessing a bit here). I can't help with macs at all.
scott

Post by scott »

c:\Program Files\Wesnoth\userdata (windows)

~/.wesnoth (linux or mac command line build)

~/Library/Preferences/Wesnoth/ (mac official app)

These are the locations of the userdata directory for each OS. The wiki article should already include a note somewhere that userdata is a symbol which you should mentally replace it with your OS's true location, but perhaps this note doesn't exist in the campaign section. EditingWesnoth should have this note (and you're asked to read that first). If you want to clarify it, go ahead.

The funny thing is that the Windows way is the easiest to understand (since it actually is a "userdata" folder) but is the least functional (since it lives with the game and not the user's personal files).
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.