Nightfall

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Ryorin

Nightfall

Post by Ryorin »

Okay, it's time for my first "official" attempt at creating a campaign (Or at least the story thereof :P ). Yes, I have never coded for any scenarios, or campaigns for Wesnoth. However I got an idea, so I thought I'd post it, maybe I could get a little assistance, but let's see how much you all like it first. Okay, here we go.

I want this campaign to have a heavily story-based system of conveying what's going on (e.g. an Interlude between each battle) so that instead of the laughable attempts at conveying story before, during, or after a battle I can convey it in more peaceful sequences. Okay, so now that's out of the way, what do you all think of this for an introduction (a rough draft, hopefully it conveys what I want it to).

"It all began years ago they say. When men's hearts darkened. In the heart of the land once called Wesnoth."

"Wesnoth was a war-torn land. Divided, leaderless, a mere shadow of what it once was. The old customs had all vanished, like fog on the morning breeze. And from all directions their enemies smelled blood."

"From the north came the Orcs: wild, fierce, and free. From the east came Undead. Foul beasts led by cruel Necromancers. No where in Wesnoth were you safe from the evils that ravaged it."

"Save for one place, the Green Isle. The Isle had long been a fortress of the Mages of Wesnoth, and it remainded so."

"The great cities fell one by one to the fury of the hordes besetting them, and the people fled to Elensfar to attempt to escape the fate of their armies."

"After the fall of Weldyn, and slaying of the king, the people of Wesnoth needed a leader, the Arch-Mage Hylath was forced into the role. Through years of study he came to be the mightiest Mage since Delfador, and in many ways he wished to surpass his ancestor."

"Using his accumulated knowledge he harnessed the magic the Silver Mages use to transport themselves to move the remaining populace of Wesnoth to the Isle."

"Then in the mightiest conflagulation every to grace the world he destroyed all of Wesnoth, and many of the surrounding lands, leaving a charred desert behind as evidence of his enemies defeat."

"Blinded by his pride he enslaved his own people to serve his ends. The people feared his wrath. And in every way their lives were dictated to them through the power of the "Silver Talon" Hylath's own personal Mage army."

"Now is the time, we must cast off their shackles and live free, or die trying."

Yep, this is it, a rough draft to be sure. And it also somewhat ties Restoration (Parts of it) and UTBS to Wesnoth. I'll post more on it's story and whatnot later.
Fear me! For I am higher level than you!
BlackOpsElf

Post by BlackOpsElf »

I really like the idea. There need to be more campaigns involving the futuristic storyline. I assume this will be epic in scope? With your unit designs, I can't wait to play it.
Creator and Maintainer of "Where Angels Fear To Tread"
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

:? Did my post not come through? I tried posting earlier... Don't have time now to retype it all. Here's what I said, basically:

When is this supposed to take place? Right after EI? 10 years after? 20 after? Any later than that, and you have the problem that the undead menace from the East vanishes after Mal-Ravanal dies. The east isn't some land where a bunch of undead lived; Mal-Ravanal was the exception, not the rule. But then, if it takes place right after EI, you have another problem or two - in the time of EI, the Green Isle is still an orc-infested wasteland. AFAIK it always is. At least, there have never been Wesnothian magi on it. There's also the fact that Wesnoth doesn't fall for at disappear for quite a while after EI. It is weakened, but it doesn't get destroyed.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Ryorin

Post by Ryorin »

Okay, firstly I meant to put down the Isle of Anduin, sorry it was a honest mistake. Secondly it's a "what if" campaign, it dosen't really tie into any of the other campaigns. I mean so far as the Undead thing goes I figure that it will be a few pockets of Necromancers not so much a massive threat as a permanent one from within.
Ryorin

Post by Ryorin »

Okay, here are some unit designs for BlackOpsElf, basically thay're the Mage's secret police.
Attachments
mage-knight.png
mage-knight.png (2.29 KiB) Viewed 3920 times
mage-knight-lvl2.png
mage-knight-lvl2.png (2.47 KiB) Viewed 3920 times
BlackOpsElf

Post by BlackOpsElf »

Ryorin wrote:Okay, here are some unit designs for BlackOpsElf, basically thay're the Mage's secret police.
I like them, although I mistook the level 2 one for an attack animation of the other one at first.
Creator and Maintainer of "Where Angels Fear To Tread"
Ryorin

Post by Ryorin »

Next I'm going to do the Arch-Mage guy, very self-important riding on a silver unicorn.

Then, I'm going to do some more development.
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

I usually don't post in campaign threads, but hey, first time for everything.

The storyline isnt bad at all and you presented it a good deal better then most people do.
However as Mr History Gestapo (aka turin) pointed out in his usual way, it doesn't quite fit the whole Wesnoth timeline thing. IMHO this isn't a problem, it's your story and you can have whatever you wish. However, if you did want it to fit, why not have it take place in the post-cataclysm world of Under the Burning Suns? What you describe sounds somewhat similar to that. I haven't actually played that campaign, but I don't think it describes anything about the Isle of Anduin, so there isn't any reason why a bunch of Wesnoth survivors couldn't be there.

Just a thought.

(Also, the idea of teleporting a whole city load of people seems a bit silly, but that's just me.)

Regarding the art: It's cut&paste, but it actually looks ok. However, as Blackopself implied, you really need more difference between level1 and level2. A bit of red on the horse and moving the sword just won't cut it.
Ryorin

Post by Ryorin »

Actually the only thing I cut and pasted was the original Mage's hood, and this stuff is just place-holder anyway. I plan on doing my own head eventually. I just wanted them to look like mounted mages.

Thank you for the compliment on the story. I didn't think of this campaign in regards to the rest of the WOW, I just thought of a good idea then posted it. Also I am revising the story as we speak expect it later today, or tomorrow.
Ryorin

Post by Ryorin »

Also, as for teleporting a city being silly, it's not a whole city, but only a couple hundred people. Also if you say an idea in a fantasy game is silly you have to remeber it's fantasy. %90 of it is silly.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

I think the general plot is pretty good. I think that some parts are a bit over the board or just unfitting, IMHO. Especially this mage guy basically "destroying Wesnoth" with some magic sounds like way too much.

My suggestion, if you'd take any, would be to have all this happen during the big fall (the period when the land is turned to how it is in UtBS - detailed in UtBS dialogue) and have the fall happen as UtBS described it (and since that happening involved magi, this guy could be part of it directly, or even the one who came up with that insane idea). Then, as everything starts to go to hell, he would save (or "save") a bunch of people by teleporting them to somewhere distant (the isle). The conditions on the isle could be just as bad as they are elsewhere in UtBS, but maybe there just doesn't happen to be hordes of orcs or undead there, allowing the people to build up a society there (the main problem in the UtBS world seems to be that there are monsters everywhere).

The teleportation isn't that far-fetched IMHO, if you just explain it. I (other people as well) have figured that the teleportation of silver magi works so that they can only teleport to a place where a teleportation circle (or something like that) is maintained - usually villages. So, they just needed someone to get to the island to set up one of those teleportation circles, and then this mage guy could have jumped back and forth for a while, teleporting people through with him one by one (until for example the teleportation circle was destroyed by monsters or something).
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

zookeeper wrote:...and then this mage guy could have jumped back and forth for a while, teleporting people through with him one by one (until for example the teleportation circle was destroyed by monsters or something).
;) Sounds like a scenario.
Ryorin

Post by Ryorin »

Well I never finished UTBS, that is I never got to the point where the destruction is described. However I didn't know it was described at all, I just figured that I'd kinda fill in that part.

Actually, many of the ideas you proposed were ones I was going to use. For instance the mages building a society in peace. However as they always say "Absolute power corrupts and Power corrupts absolutly." Therefore this mage enslaves the Remnant and uses them in his grand scheme.

I like the idea of using the Silver Mage's teleportation to move the people to the island as a scenario. Now if only I were an expert with the WML...
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Ryorin wrote:Well I never finished UTBS, that is I never got to the point where the destruction is described. However I didn't know it was described at all, I just figured that I'd kinda fill in that part.
It's described in detail in scenario 10, starting from around line 340 (in 1.1.8 anyway), in case you want to take a look without playing all the way there.
Ryorin

Post by Ryorin »

Thanks zookeeper. I'll look into it, finish my revision tomorrow. And then I'll have a full outline for story and such.