Nightfall

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

commander keen

Post by commander keen »

Very interesting.
I suppose I'll help a bit, although I may make the Taming of the wild as well, but thats no problem.

I learnt WML by looking through the WML in UtBS, It's quite simple provided you look at the bits you've played. Also, the Generic Campaign may be a useful download. I stripped out all the comments and changed it to make a small test scenario (took me 1 hour to debug my mistakes, though).

Sounds like a great campaign, in fact I might not even make TotW(Taming of the Wild :D ) if this turns out good.
Ryorin

Post by Ryorin »

I probably won't be able to post the revised story until Sunday... so see you all then...
Fear me! For I am higher level than you!
Ryorin

Post by Ryorin »

Okay, here goes nothing...

"A long time ago the land was fertile. Before the pride of man blinded them and led to the Great Fall of the land of Wesnoth."

"The country was powerful a veritable Empire, possessing much of the land. They had powerful allies, and many foes. Yet the Empire flourished. Soon their power was renowned throughout all the known world."

"The might of his kingdom brought one of it's kings to want to bring about an end to darkness. He ordered his Mages to raise another sun in the sky. The Mages raised a great flaming mountain into the sky, and night was, for the most part, dispelled."

"Years later the pride of men continued to flourish, and a future king decided that he wanted to dispell darkness entirely"

"He selected the Arch-Mage Azuroth to lead the Mages of the land in the creation. However not only had the quality and quantity of the Mages decreased over the years, but Azuroth held thoughts of treason deep within his darkening soul."

"On the dawn of what was supposed to be Wesnoth's last night Azuroth began the spell, and quietly left the Circle of Mages. Exiting Weldyn just ahead of it's destruction he headed west and conquered the Isle of Anduin."

"He offered sanctum to a divided war-torn people, in exchange for their eternal fealty. Many did not accept this at first, however as the hordes of Orcs, Undead, and the forces of the Warlords drew nearer the people paniced. Many flocked to the last human city, Elensfar. Seeing the people in such a state Azuroth ordered his Silver Mages to begin a evacuation of the city."

"The remaining soldiers of Elensfar, and Mercenaries for afar held the line until the city could be evacuated, giveing their lives to save the people. They were destroyed to the man."

"On the Isle, things weren't much better, Azuroth held the place in his iron grip. He enslaved his own people."

"And it is here our tale truly begins..."

This is the intro, I want the first couple of missions to be a sort of flash-back on the specific events, however I still need to finish writing the basic outline of the whole thing. It's going to be epic in scope, and I'm going for deep characterization, I'll also be doing a lot of the custom art myself. Wish me luck guys, I'll need it.
greywolfexcel

Post by greywolfexcel »

That all sounds really good. I especially like the flashback idea - perhaps you could intersperse current scenarios with flashback ones? Whatever you decide to do, good luck. :)
Ryorin

Post by Ryorin »

That's exactly what I planned on doing, for instance the first scenario will be about the Fall of Wesnoth, where you take command of a battalion of knights tasked with the protection of Elensfar. I'm still trying to figure out what order I want to do the scenarios in, currently I'm aiming at 14 playable scenarios, in additon I want to have upwards of 10 interludes. Yes it's alot of work, but it will be epic in scope if I can pull it off.

Also for those interested in it, I just finished a portrait today, it took me about one hour to do, and it's my first attempt at doing a Wesnoth portrait, tell me what you think. :wink:

Also I redid the Mage Knights slightly, added more things to help differentiate between the two of them.
Attachments
mage-knight-p.png
mage-knight-p.png (25.18 KiB) Viewed 4373 times
mage-knight.png
mage-knight.png (2.29 KiB) Viewed 4372 times
mage-knight-lvl2.png
mage-knight-lvl2.png (2.61 KiB) Viewed 4372 times
greywolfexcel

Post by greywolfexcel »

That's a great portrait for your first time. I can only really suggest adding a bit more shading (maybe one more color) to add a little bit more depth.

As far as the units go, I think they look great! :) I do have one question though - will their primary attack be with magic or the sword they're holding? Because if it's magic, you'll probably want to make sure the melee attack is toned down appropriately, and that might be hard to do with a sword. Perhaps the level one can have a staff or something with a weaker melee attack. (This is based off the assumption that these are basically more mobile mages, and aren't supposed to be mixed fighters; if I'm wrong, please feel free to ignore me. :) )
Ryorin

Post by Ryorin »

They are a mixed fighter, they'll have a weak melee attack, but it'll be accurate due to the magic. Also they will have a toned-down mage attack blast thingy. (Can't remeber the name!)

Now that I'm looking at the portrait I should add another color and maybe some more detailing.
Ryorin

Post by Ryorin »

Okay, added another shade and some detailing, better or worse?
Attachments
mage-knight-p-alt.png
mage-knight-p-alt.png (28.15 KiB) Viewed 4324 times
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

Ryorin wrote:Okay, added another shade and some detailing, better or worse?
mostly better, except on the body you have these weird dark purple areas, and I'm not quite sure what they are. If they are an attempt at really dark shading in those areas then they just don't work, and if they are something else then they need changing to more obviously be that something else.
Ryorin

Post by Ryorin »

You mean the black? Or the dark blue?
Ryorin

Post by Ryorin »

Like this?

Also expect a basic outline of the entire campaign either tomorrow of later today.
Attachments
mage-knight-p-alt.png
mage-knight-p-alt.png (28.08 KiB) Viewed 4291 times
Ryorin

Post by Ryorin »

Okay, I guess I'll give my initial ideas, hopefully I'll get an accomplice to work with me. Or at least some commentary as to the ideas themselves.

Interlude:The Road

A small group of humans sit around a campfire reminicing on ages past, a shadowy figure sneaks towards them in the darkness.

Scenario 1:The Fall of Wesnoth

A straightforward scenario where you have to hold a small area of Weldyn as you guard a refugee column on it's way out of the city. I want it to be not too dificult, but not a cake-walk.

Scenario 2:The Siege of Elensfar

Another straightforward scenario, the only thing about this one is that it will be designed for you to lose, however you must only hold the city for a certain amount of time. After this time elapses you are hit with a massive wave of foes. While this is going on you must move refugee wagons onto the Circle of the Silver Magi, they will teleport the refugees to the Isle of Anduin.

Interlude:Blood on the Stones

More story, the humans are atacked by the Mages, but thanks to the interference of some outlaws they manage to escape the Mages for a time.

Scenario 3:Seeds of Sedition

The first scenario involving the current story at hand, recruit troops from nearby villages, and begin a war to overthrough the Mages.

Interlude:Flames on the Horizon

In the Citadel of the Arch-Mage trouble is brewing, the Mages plan to slaughter the people to get at the Resitance.

That's all I'm going to say for now, tell me what you all think of it, please I want some feedback before I really begin to make the Campaign.
BlackOpsElf

Post by BlackOpsElf »

greywolfexcel wrote:Because if it's magic, you'll probably want to make sure the melee attack is toned down appropriately, and that might be hard to do with a sword.
There are plenty of people who carry swords but have difficulty using them. Assuming that the sword is more for show than anything, you could keep the high attack of the sword, but just give them very few swings. Like, the sword could be 7, but only with one or two swings.
Creator and Maintainer of "Where Angels Fear To Tread"
Ryorin

Post by Ryorin »

But the sword's attack type will be magical, so giving high damage + high accuracy would not be good for a unit that's like the equivalent of the Cavalryman.
Ryorin

Post by Ryorin »

Okay guys, I know it's ressurection (Only somewhat, it's been less than a month), but I actually want to get this project underway, and (eventually) completed. I'll try to get a patchwork first couple of scenarios created by the end of next week. So I do expect some sort of feedback one I start on that.