End of an Era.

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

littlebeast

Post by littlebeast »

augh. New mage sprites. And just... well not really, but just as in working time, when I was getting around to making good ones. The new ones look really hard to edit too. And... I kinda liked the old ones better. I'm biased for sure, but they had more variety to them and stuff. The new ones, they don't really look the same, but they're not different... if that makes any sense...
Also they would be REALLY HARD TO EDIT because now I'd have to just edit the staves and stuff... no robes... and the staves are too detailed for me x.x
T.T wah
Don't get me wrong, they look cool, but... there's not as much variety. Colored robes are good!
Also the red mage description sucks now. Lol. "lose the brown robes of an apprentice and are given the ruddy cloak of a master..." it makes it sound like they're getting old dirty clothes XD

much later edit: of course now I actually look it up it turns out that "ruddy" actually means reddish, but it still SOUNDS like it's old and dirty.
Last edited by littlebeast on January 4th, 2009, 5:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hiatus, epitome, colonel, sadist, Tucson, behemoth, quixote...
Okay, how many of those did you pronounce wrong?

My (very incomplete) campaign.
littlebeast

ergh

Post by littlebeast »

augh... it's gone buggy. When I try to open it in WN to test it, it kills the program. And attempting to debug it is giving me a headache. I'm going to put it out here for anyone who wants to try.

If you want a version that semi-works, go back to the previous page.

This is seriously annoying me. I don't know enough WML to attempt to debug it that way, and I'm not seeing anything that would mess it up in Campgen.
...wah.

littlebeast

Post by littlebeast »

--------------------------

All right. I'm reviving this. After far too long, I'm returning, and this time doing it with WML, a new name: End of an Era, and an actual plot. :lol:

So the attachment is what I've got so far newly. I realize it's not as far as before, but, well, tough. I'll add story to this scenario soonly.

Little problem, though: When I try to add the times in, the campaign won't load properly, it says the [scenario] tag isn't closed. I'm not sure why this is. The file with the code for the times is in the zip, but it's not included into the scenario.

Other'n that, enjoy, eh? And I'll edit the topic momentarily.
Last edited by littlebeast on October 13th, 2007, 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

littlebeast

Post by littlebeast »

Well, I just spent some time on it and made the first scenario winnable, so I'm'a post that and then go to bed.

C ya's.

littlebeast

Re: Revived, renamed Campaign: End of an Era.

Post by littlebeast »

Whelp, it's been a while. And I rethunk a lot of it again. Yay! Now there isn't even a dragon anymore. Lol. Anyway, I'm posting it now since the second scenario's done. I'm going to post it again once per scenario.
Attachments
End_of_an_Era.zip
EoaE 0.1.2 . I think. Not entirely sure how version numbers work still.
(171.2 KiB) Downloaded 315 times

littlebeast

Post by littlebeast »

This is getting ridiculous how much I'm rethinking this.
To give you an idea, I was writing the synopsis of the version that I had just come up with after rethinking the last one I was working on, when I rethought it and came up with this one.
SERIOUSLY.
I think I'm sticking with this one though. But then I thought I was sticking with the last one... :roll:

Any case. Any and all feedback is encouraged. Please write it a bit more eloquently than "this bit sux n00b" though. Also, the names are pretty much all rough; if you think of a better one feel free to tell me.

:eng:
1: Return to the Village - The "body and soul" scenario, more or less as it stands. It's kind of too complicated to explain concisely. The gist is Donovan has his village destroyed by undead and his wife Cecil(who is undead) usurps control of them from the necromancer. Then they decide to go a-wandering, having nothing better to do.
2: The Green Swamp - They go to the Green Swamp which an ice mage named Bienero is freezing on the grounds that he's preventing global warming(not verbatim). You stop him with the nagas' support (though perhaps not initially)
3: The Bay of Pearls - They happen to be passing by the Bay of Pearls and hear of the "crazy" necromancer on the isle who "wants to bring the undead back to life". So they go visit him, despite the antagonistic mermen. He can't actually do it yet, so they stay on the island with him. (The mermen settle down after a while.)
4: A Choice - Bienero shows up and starts freezing the bay. Needless to say, the mermen are angry. You get to choose who to side with (rationalized by Cecil noting that hmm, the bay has seemed warmer and such of late)
5: The Warpath - A band of soldiers from Weldyn attacks them. During the battle they learn of the king's plan to raise a THIRD sun.
6: The Plague - Soon after, they encounter a band of undead that was chasing said band of soldiers. They defeat the undead (thereby protecting the soldiers); only after the battle do they realize that these undead were led by the same necromancer that attacked their village.
Dialogue: The Green Swamp - They see that the swamp has dried considerably since last time. They realize that the two suns really ARE causing global warming and decide to stop the king from raising a third.
7: Attack!: First battle in their campaign to stop the sun. (necessary? It's mostly just a filler, but it seemed like too little time was being spent on this part.)
8: Moving In: Bienero joins them on the warpath.
9: Surrounded: Donovan and Cecil are cut off from the rest of the army and surrounded, Donovan is captured and Cecil (re)killed. Note the objective is to avoid these occurrences, but it's utterly futile.
10: The Show Must Go On: (really needs a rename) Bienero and that necromancer have to continue on without Donovan and Cecil.
11: Escape: Donovan is rescued from prison by a band of thieves who support his cause for (I think) obvious reasons.
12: Showdown: You control two factions (Donovan-theives & necro-Bienero-previous) as you try to stop the sun, which is being made during the battle. It continues getting brighter and brighter until you kill enough of the wizards to stop the process.
Epilogue: The spirit world (where the story was being told) with all of the characters, because they stopped the sun from being launched into the sky but not it being created. :augh:

So yeah, kind of a downer ending. But other than that, what do you think?

littlebeast

Post by littlebeast »

Well, it seems nobody has enough care to actually respond to that... :roll:

But, I'm now having some troubles and I'd appreciate it if someone would be kind enough to help me out tech-wise.

There are a couple issues I'm having. One is with the dialog being skipped sometime, which I believe is an issue with the new dialog boxes, so I'm not worried about that too much.

The other, though, is a problem. I've got a unit in a variable which, when I unstore and try to advance to a custom unit, it says 'Error while playing the game: Game_error: Unknown unit type " while generating traits'

I am mystified. Can someone help me out?
Attachments
End_of_an_Era.zip
The most current version, with the above named problems; also, it isn't concurrent with the current outline yet.
(1.84 MiB) Downloaded 255 times

Turuk
Sithslayer

Re: End of an Era.

Post by Turuk »

At which point is the dialogue being skipped? I skimmed through your code but could find no glaring errors, so you will have to be a bit more obvious.

Do you have a problem going from scenario 1 to scenario 1.5? You should. You have the next scenario line in Scenario 1 as 1.5-Samarto_comes but the file name is 1-5-Samarto_comes.

As to your unit problem, I see that you defined it as cecil, but did you define what type of unit Cecil is supposed to be?
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
littlebeast

Post by littlebeast »

Turuk wrote:At which point is the dialogue being skipped? I skimmed through your code but could find no glaring errors, so you will have to be a bit more obvious.
Some of Donovan's lines are being skipped, seemingly at random. As I said, I think that's an issue with the new dialog boxes; I tested the mainline campaigns and A Tale of Two Brothers had a similar problem.
Turuk wrote:Do you have a problem going from scenario 1 to scenario 1.5? You should. You have the next scenario line in Scenario 1 as 1.5-Samarto_comes but the file name is 1-5-Samarto_comes.
As far as I recall, I didn't have a problem going to scenario 1.5. However, I haven't been able to get to that point for some time because of the issue with the traits or whatever. In any case it doesn't really matter as that one's going to be removed.
Turuk wrote:As to your unit problem, I see that you defined it as cecil, but did you define what type of unit Cecil is supposed to be?
Cecil is defined as a soulless, however while stored I added enough experience to level her into a banshee, a unit defined in my campaign. I suppose it could be just that the Walking Corpse/Soulless code is bloody insane but that doesn't ring true to me.

beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

littlebeast wrote:Some of Donovan's lines are being skipped, seemingly at random. As I said, I think that's an issue with the new dialog boxes; I tested the mainline campaigns and A Tale of Two Brothers had a similar problem.
This sounds like the known bug with the new dialog boxes. If you use Enter to clear dialogs instead of clicking the mouse, it all works fine.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
littlebeast

Post by littlebeast »

beetlenaut wrote:
littlebeast wrote:Some of Donovan's lines are being skipped, seemingly at random. As I said, I think that's an issue with the new dialog boxes; I tested the mainline campaigns and A Tale of Two Brothers had a similar problem.
This sounds like the known bug with the new dialog boxes. If you use Enter to clear dialogs instead of clicking the mouse, it all works fine.
Uh-huh. Like I said, I figured it was to do with the game code and not my campaign.

Now can someone please help me with the one I'm clueless on? :roll:

That being the game error traits bit. I don't grok it at all.

beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

littlebeast wrote:Now can someone please help me with the one I'm clueless on? :roll:
I think you're getting little help because you never said where the error is--you just posted a whole campaign. (Or all of it you have anyway.) I don't know which character, variable, or even file you have a problem with, and I don't feel like digging around to find it. If you post the code that's giving you a problem (in WML workshop preferably), you'll probably get a solution.
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
littlebeast

Post by littlebeast »

beetlenaut wrote:
littlebeast wrote:Now can someone please help me with the one I'm clueless on? :roll:
I think you're getting little help because you never said where the error is--you just posted a whole campaign. (Or all of it you have anyway.) I don't know which character, variable, or even file you have a problem with, and I don't feel like digging around to find it. If you post the code that's giving you a problem (in WML workshop preferably), you'll probably get a solution.
Well, see, the problem is I don't know where the problem is. It shows up here:

Code: Select all

[store_unit]
			[filter]
				id=Cecil
			[/filter]
			variable="Cecil"
		[/store_unit]
		[set_variable]
			name=Cecil.side
			value=1
		[/set_variable]
		[set_variable]
			name=Cecil.experience
			value=32
		[/set_variable]
		[set_variable]
			name=Cecil.hitpoints
			value=2
		[/set_variable]
		[set_variable]
			name=Cecil.canrecruit
			value=0
		[/set_variable]
		[unstore_unit]
			variable="Cecil"
			advance=true
		[/unstore_unit]
but it could be in the unit file:

#textdomain wesnoth-End_of_an_Era
[unit_type]
	alignment=chaotic
	cost=28
	experience=100
	hitpoints=37
	id=Banshee
	level=2
	movement=4
	movetype=smallfoot
	num_traits=2
	[resistance]
		arcane=130
	[/resistance]
	name= _ "Banshee"
	image="Units/Undead/banshee.png"
	race=undead
	#num_traits=2
	#{TRAIT_UNDEAD}
	#{TRAIT_FEARLESS_MUSTHAVE}
	ellipse="misc/ellipse"
	description= _ "Though the process of transforming a zombie into the more powerful banshee is an easy one, it is rarely done, for doing such gives the creature free will.  Banshees have recovered some of a natural flesh color, and lost some of their weakness to arcane attacks.  They are best known for their wailing, the sound of which it is said can drive a man's soul from his body."+{SPECIAL_NOTES}+{SPECIAL_NOTES_PLAGUE}
	usage="fighter"
	advances_to=null
	{AMLA_DEFAULT}
	{MAGENTA_IS_THE_TEAM_COLOR}
	[resistance]
		arcane=120
	[/resistance]
	[movement_costs]
		deep_water=4
	[/movement_costs]
	[advancefrom]
		unit=Soulless
		experience=31
	[/advancefrom]
	[attack]
		description= _ "touch"
		name=touch
		type=impact
		icon="attacks/touch-zombie.png"
		range=melee
		damage=7
		number=4
		[specials]
			{WEAPON_SPECIAL_PLAGUE}
		[/specials]
	[/attack]
	[attack]
		description= _ "wail"
		name="wail"
		type="cold"
		icon="attacks/wail.png"
		range= _ "ranged"
		damage=5
		number=2
	[/attack]
	[attack_anim]
		[attack_filter]
			name="wail"
		[/attack_filter]
		start_time=-150
		[missile_frame]
			sound=wail.wav
			duration=150
			image="projectiles/wail-n-2.png"
			image_diagonal="projectiles/wail-n-2.png"
		[/missile_frame]
	[/attack_anim]
[/unit_type]
or even somewhere else for all I know.

beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

You still didn't tell me what scenario it was in, but I had enough information to search for it at least. It would have been better to have posted the whole scenario, then someone could have seen the problem: You're trying to do things to a unit that no longer exists--she just got killed. Forget storing and unstoring. Just do this:

[unit]
	name=Cecil
	id=Cecil
	type=Banshee
	side=1
	hitpoints=2
	x=$x1
	y=$y1
[/unit]
(Remember the "$" before variables you want the value of.)
The game won't put a new unit where the old one just was, so you will have to first kill her (yes, in the die event) to get the new unit to appear in the correct location.
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
littlebeast

Post by littlebeast »

Wow.

It was that I had written ghost instead of "Ghost" in a fakemove.

Stupid case sensitivity. :annoyed: