Help wanted with new campaign: the element of earth

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

earthmage
Posts: 7
Joined: June 10th, 2006, 5:48 pm

Help wanted with new campaign: the element of earth

Post by earthmage » June 10th, 2006, 5:55 pm

Hi I had an idea for an campiagn and I could work a stroy out but will need help for the rest.

It would start with a attack on the dwarves (any sujetions for the faction attack would be helpful)
It's believed that the dwarves found acient runes whit inscriptions on it that explain how to master the element of earth. Now the ... wan't to steal it from them. One dwarf that discoverd the most runes need to bring them to safty. They get help from the order of mages . The running would be the first scenerio. If somoene likes the idea all help is welcom!

Many greets

ME (the earthmage)
He's the only one of his kind.
He masters earth.
He's the earth mage

scott
Posts: 5242
Joined: May 12th, 2004, 12:35 am
Location: Alexandria, VA

Post by scott » June 10th, 2006, 6:24 pm

1. Finish the storyline
2. decide how many scenarios there will be
3. Write down what happens in each scenario
4. Decide what the sides are in each scenario

If you do that, IN THAT ORDER, you will be 90% done.

Custom units and graphics take a little work, and I recommend you use all mainline units at first for placeholders. Once the WML for the campaign is done, you can add custom units later.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.

User avatar
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus
Posts: 2176
Joined: February 6th, 2006, 4:03 am
Location: Baltimore, Maryland, USA

Post by Ken_Oh » June 10th, 2006, 8:31 pm

Yeah, my advice is just to start making a campaign, post it here and then you should get some volunteers to help you.

Disto
Posts: 2039
Joined: November 1st, 2004, 7:40 pm
Location: Cambridge, UK

Post by Disto » June 10th, 2006, 9:12 pm

Ken Oh wrote:Yeah, my advice is just to start making a campaign, post it here and then you should get some volunteers to help you.
Won't work. Look at my campaign for proof of this.
Creator of A Seed of Evil
Creator of the Marauders
Food or Wesnoth? I'll have Wesnoth

User avatar
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus
Posts: 2176
Joined: February 6th, 2006, 4:03 am
Location: Baltimore, Maryland, USA

Post by Ken_Oh » June 10th, 2006, 9:26 pm

Disto wrote:
Ken Oh wrote:Yeah, my advice is just to start making a campaign, post it here and then you should get some volunteers to help you.
Won't work. Look at my campaign for proof of this.
I don't understand. Are you talking about A Seed of Evil? There was code help all throughout the thread.

scott
Posts: 5242
Joined: May 12th, 2004, 12:35 am
Location: Alexandria, VA

Post by scott » June 10th, 2006, 9:36 pm

SOE failed due to lack of a finished plot before Disto started. Thus my advice. I have never seen a campaign fail because of lack of WML knowledge, but I have seen lots of campaigns reach 0.1 (based on a cool idea) and stop. Many have reached 1.0, but much less than the number attempted.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.

User avatar
turin
Lord of the East
Posts: 11662
Joined: January 11th, 2004, 7:17 pm
Location: Texas
Contact:

Post by turin » June 10th, 2006, 9:56 pm

Here's what you must realize when making a campaign:

No one will do it for you.

People may give you WML advice, and you may be able to get some artists to make some sprites. But YOU are going to be doing all of the work - although people may give some help, no one is going to "join the team" - no one will write whole scenarios of WML for you, or write a plot for you, or publish it for you. Making a campaign is a solitary venture. You are going to be making the maps, writing the scenarios, writing the dialogue, and bringing it all together. If you don't have the skills, time, and patience to do this, you will fail.

I am probably discouraging you with this... but making a campaign is hard work, and you should realize this before you start. It will probably take several months to get all the scenarios done, and even then you aren't finished.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm

earthmage
Posts: 7
Joined: June 10th, 2006, 5:48 pm

Post by earthmage » June 13th, 2006, 12:57 pm

Thanks for the tips you all.
I am willing to do all that turin but i just have 1 problem. I am i the midlle of my exams so it will have to wait a while after that it will be working whole day's long:).

Greets
He's the only one of his kind.
He masters earth.
He's the earth mage

kiet
Posts: 155
Joined: February 11th, 2006, 6:56 pm
Location: Sweden,Kungsor
Contact:

Post by kiet » June 13th, 2006, 5:34 pm

Then just wait until you are done with all of that and begin creating stories,is it so hard? :roll:

earthmage
Posts: 7
Joined: June 10th, 2006, 5:48 pm

Post by earthmage » June 15th, 2006, 11:14 am

Yes it is hard becous i love wesnoth and examens yust suck(sorry for the offensive talking.) So i lookt at the map of wesnoth and the wesnothian history and it acccured to me that there are mountains and a big swamp in the eastern lands. So I was thinking(whats kind a big wonder) and i took a quick look at the history and it accured to me that there is almost no history in the east so what about there. Like thet the dwarves are attacked by saurains that are forced to do this by tha mystic sauns.(the sauns would be some kind of saurains that are higly developt and live in the middle of that big eastern swamp.) Would this be possible if it is I could work out the story line a little and then divide it in scenerios.

Greets
He's the only one of his kind.
He masters earth.
He's the earth mage

User avatar
Ranger M
Art Contributor
Posts: 1965
Joined: December 8th, 2005, 9:13 pm
Location: England

Post by Ranger M » June 15th, 2006, 11:47 am

earthmage wrote:Yes it is hard becous i love wesnoth and examens yust suck(sorry for the offensive talking.) So i lookt at the map of wesnoth and the wesnothian history and it acccured to me that there are mountains and a big swamp in the eastern lands. So I was thinking(whats kind a big wonder) and i took a quick look at the history and it accured to me that there is almost no history in the east so what about there. Like thet the dwarves are attacked by saurains that are forced to do this by tha mystic sauns.(the sauns would be some kind of saurains that are higly developt and live in the middle of that big eastern swamp.) Would this be possible if it is I could work out the story line a little and then divide it in scenerios.

Greets
WRONG (this is a common misconception due to events in eastern invasion)

to the east is mountains and desert however Mal Ravall (Or whatever his name was) made it into swamp when he moved there and started summoning undead.

In said desert there will be (eventually) a faction called the Ayiri who used to be Westfolk (read turin's new history for details)


However, if you set you campaign at about the time of eastern invasion, and maybe include an undead reference or two, then you should still be able to do it.

earthmage
Posts: 7
Joined: June 10th, 2006, 5:48 pm

Post by earthmage » June 15th, 2006, 12:37 pm

But then it would be unpossible to have some high developed sauns becous then the swamp yust exists and it would be impossible. OR the linch-lord would have pulled saurians out to there to giht for him. And by his interfierence some of them took a bit of he's magic and that speeded there evolution. But mayby thats a little to farfetch'd.

greets
He's the only one of his kind.
He masters earth.
He's the earth mage

User avatar
turin
Lord of the East
Posts: 11662
Joined: January 11th, 2004, 7:17 pm
Location: Texas
Contact:

Post by turin » June 15th, 2006, 2:28 pm

Ranger M wrote:WRONG (this is a common misconception due to events in eastern invasion)

to the east is mountains and desert however Mal Ravall (Or whatever his name was) made it into swamp when he moved there and started summoning undead.
Yeah... it is extremely irritating. Even the official map of Wesnoth has swamp in that area...
Ranger M wrote:In said desert there will be (eventually) a faction called the Ayiri who used to be Westfolk (read turin's new history for details)
Actually they are not going to be called the Aiyira, but rather the Saracens. Well, their name will eventually be changed, but they won't be called the Aiyira.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm

User avatar
Ranger M
Art Contributor
Posts: 1965
Joined: December 8th, 2005, 9:13 pm
Location: England

Post by Ranger M » June 15th, 2006, 2:30 pm

turin wrote:Actually they are not going to be called the Aiyira, but rather the Saracens. Well, their name will eventually be changed, but they won't be called the Aiyira.
Really? :shock:

*me never made connection between the Saracens (or whatever their current new name is) and the Aiyira*

User avatar
turin
Lord of the East
Posts: 11662
Joined: January 11th, 2004, 7:17 pm
Location: Texas
Contact:

Post by turin » June 15th, 2006, 2:31 pm

Ranger M wrote:*me never made connection between the Saracens (or whatever their current new name is) and the Aiyira*
That's because there is none. ;)

The mistake you made is assuming that the Aiyira go on the Great Continent, which they don't - they go on the OC.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm

Post Reply