Campaign: Fall of Silvium

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Oreb

Post by Oreb »

I have worked on Mt. Stormkeep for the new council quarters and have come to quite a good solution. It solves the problem with the 6 Elders and 12 Thunderblades and made it more of an inacessable mountain.

[map]
hfmmhhhmmmffmmffhhhhhccccffmmmm
hfmbmfhmmmffmmffhfhhZccccffmmbf
ffmmmfmfmmfffmfffffcccccfnnmmmm
fhhfffhhfhmmmbmmmhfcccchfn2nmmm
hmfhhffcccccmmmmhhccccchffnmfmm
hfmhfcc/\K/\ccmfhccccffffmfmfff
mhmcc/KfffffK\ccccchffmhhfmfmff
mhmc|fffmmmfff|cchhmfmmhhmfmmmm
mmc/Kfm&&m&&mfK\chmmfmbmfffhfff
mfc|fmmm&K&mmmf|cchhmmmmmfhhmmf
ffcKff&&K&K&&ffKcfhmfhhffhhmfff
hfc|fm&mKKKm&mf|cfmmffhhfffmfmm
hfc\ffm&&m&&mff/cmfmffhfffbfmfm
hfccKfmf&m&fmfKccmbmfffmfmfmmff
hhhc|\ffmfmff/|cmmmmmmfmmhmfmff
mmmhccK\fKf/Kcchhmfmbmmffhffmff
mmmhcccc/c\cccmhhffmmffmmmhffff
mfffhmmmcfccchmmfmhhfmmfmfffmmm
mmfhhfmbmmfffmhhmfmmhmmmbmmffff
mfhhhffmmfmhmmmfffmmhffhmhfmmff
ffmmhmmmffffhmmmfmhmfmffhhmmmff
fffffffmfffffmfffmhhmffmfffmmff
mffmmfmmfhhhhmbmffmmmmmmmbffmff
mmmmmmfmmhhhhfmmmfmmfmfmffffmmm
mmfmbmmffmmmfffmmmmffmmfmmmhmhh
mmfmhmffmmffmfmmfmffbmmffbffhmm
mffhhfmfhbfffmfhmfmmmmmmfmmhfmm
hhmmmmfhhhmnmmfhhffffffffmmhhhh
hfhhmmffhmm4nnfmmmmmfmfffmnnhmm
hfffffmmmfmmmnmmbmffmffhmf3nnff
hhffffmmfmfmnmmhhmfmmhhmmmmfnff
mmhmfffmmmmmmmmhhhmmmhhhmmmffff
[/map]
I am Oreb, Lord of the Darthien
Give your comments to the World of Orbivm
Casual User

Post by Casual User »

Good afternoon!

I've been playing 'Fall of Silvium' a little, been a lot of fun so far, but I would have a few comments:

I. The map is too big. Seriously, playing in 800x600 (I think), the map takes up the entire screen and I can't press 'next'. I've had to remove the map [part]s in the cfg files to be able to play.

II. Is there any real reason that you lose if Jugartha dies? Also, some way to tell which units need to survive would be nice.

III. The civilians are invisible. It's a little annoying.

I would also have a few comments on the Imperial Era units (though that might be a little tardive).

I. The movetypes are just weird. Lavinians are as bad in forests as in shallow water, whereas the marauders move like the love-child of a dwarf and an elf. :?

II. The bowmen feel a little overpowered to me, but their advancement from lvl 1 to lvl 2 is very modest (6-4 to 7-4 and 28 -> 40 hp).

III. Is it possible to keep auxilia alive for them to level up? I'm doing fine with legionaires and bowmen, but I've given up on auxilia because they have the nasty tendency of dying on me.

Otherwise, all the best.
Oreb

Post by Oreb »

Casual User wrote:Good afternoon!

I've been playing 'Fall of Silvium' a little, been a lot of fun so far, but I would have a few comments:

I. The map is too big. Seriously, playing in 800x600 (I think), the map takes up the entire screen and I can't press 'next'. I've had to remove the map [part]s in the cfg files to be able to play.
Which map?
Casual User wrote:II. Is there any real reason that you lose if Jugartha dies? Also, some way to tell which units need to survive would be nice.
Same here, since he isn't a Lavinian he isn't that important...
Casual User wrote:III. The civilians are invisible. It's a little annoying.
What version do you play, I see them perfectly fine...
Casual User wrote:I would also have a few comments on the Imperial Era units (though that might be a little tardive).

I. The movetypes are just weird. Lavinians are as bad in forests as in shallow water, whereas the marauders move like the love-child of a dwarf and an elf. :?
Lavinians: Being clad in heavy army is one reason...
Maruaders: Forests... well they live in them but mountains, I don't know.
Casual User wrote:II. The bowmen feel a little overpowered to me, but their advancement from lvl 1 to lvl 2 is very modest (6-4 to 7-4 and 28 -> 40 hp).
Don't Worry... I already said this and its been changed, well the attacks have, from 6-4 to 5-4, and so on through the advancement.
Casual User wrote:III. Is it possible to keep auxilia alive for them to level up? I'm doing fine with legionaires and bowmen, but I've given up on auxilia because they have the nasty tendency of dying on me.
To me they are overpowered as level 0's, but who knows.
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

Oreb wrote:
Casual User wrote:I. The movetypes are just weird. Lavinians are as bad in forests as in shallow water, whereas the marauders move like the love-child of a dwarf and an elf. :?
Lavinians: Being clad in heavy army is one reason...
Maruaders: Forests... well they live in them but mountains, I don't know.
When we were designing the Lavinians last summer, the logic was (a) there had to be some terrain they were weak on to keep them from being overpowered, (b) historically, one of Rome's greatest disasters was the Battle of the Teutoberg Forest, in which two whole legions were annihilated by Germanic tribesmen, (c) Rome never did manage to control Germany for very long, (d) the Marauders are based on Germanic tribesmen.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Casual User wrote:I. The map is too big. Seriously, playing in 800x600 (I think), the map takes up the entire screen and I can't press 'next'. I've had to remove the map [part]s in the cfg files to be able to play.
Hm... which version of the game are you playing with? IIRC it is supposed to resize the map to fit the entire screen no matter the size of the original image. I'll look into it.
Casual User wrote:II. Is there any real reason that you lose if Jugartha dies? Also, some way to tell which units need to survive would be nice.
Jugarthus and Caius are the only ones you need to keep alive. Some other characters have death statements, but you don't lose upon them dying.

Basically, Jugarthus has to be kept alive because if he dies, the Nemidians in your army will desert you, and you are basically screwed if you don't have any Nemidian Horsemen. And I don't really want to write the campaign with a separate branch for if he dies, since most people would restart if he dies anyway (losing a free, loyal 3rd level unit is a huge loss).
Casual User wrote:III. The civilians are invisible. It's a little annoying.
Really? Wierd.
Casual User wrote:I. The movetypes are just weird. Lavinians are as bad in forests as in shallow water, whereas the marauders move like the love-child of a dwarf and an elf. :?
The Lavinians have 30% defence in forest, but only 20% in shallow water. So that's not entirely accurate. ;) And the Auxilia have 50% in forest.

The Marauders have 50% in forest and 60% on hills (and mountains?). They also move 1 in those terrains. But, they only have 50% in castle.
Casual User wrote:II. The bowmen feel a little overpowered to me, but their advancement from lvl 1 to lvl 2 is very modest (6-4 to 7-4 and 28 -> 40 hp).
But it gains marksman.
Casual User wrote:III. Is it possible to keep auxilia alive for them to level up? I'm doing fine with legionaires and bowmen, but I've given up on auxilia because they have the nasty tendency of dying on me.
Yes. It's hard, but the basic key is to start by advancing a few Legionnaires and Horsemen, and then on later scenarios using them to weaken enemies so Auxilia can get the kill. You need to recruit about 3 auxilia to level 1 of them; the other two will die.
Casual User wrote:Otherwise, all the best.
Good. :)

BTW, I'm still working on the campaign. I'm trying to get 7: To Arendia to work right, but I keep running into bugs with the AI's behavior (they keep targeting the wrong units)...
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Fall of Silvium 0.3 released!

The main improvement in this version is that 7: To Arendia will no longer do exceeding wierd stuff (like have the assassins who are supposed to kill Leithan run over and start hacking at random level 1 elves). I have also done the requested changes to the final scenario. There is still one little thing I have to do, though - I won't give it away just yet.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
The World of Orbivm
Oreb

Post by Oreb »

turin wrote:Fall of Silvium 0.3 released!

The main improvement in this version is that 7: To Arendia will no longer do exceeding wierd stuff (like have the assassins who are supposed to kill Leithan run over and start hacking at random level 1 elves). I have also done the requested changes to the final scenario. There is still one little thing I have to do, though - I won't give it away just yet.
The 'assassins if you call them that, aim for all the weakest units near Leithan, ie elves then Vaniyera therefore the Scenario is unwinnable, the never go straight for Leithan. There ended up being 6 around Leithan when Vaniyera died.

Idea for Iceswept Bay: Try doing a different version of outriding the outriders, with boats! Except some Dardan boats in the neighbourhood (for some reason), and they help slow the long boats down.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Oreb wrote:
turin wrote:Fall of Silvium 0.3 released!

The 'assassins if you call them that, aim for all the weakest units near Leithan, ie elves then Vaniyera therefore the Scenario is unwinnable, the never go straight for Leithan. There ended up being 6 around Leithan when Vaniyera died.
Yeah... I'm trying to fix this, but it isn't really working... I think I need a new python AI, where if they can attack the leader, they will.
Oreb wrote:Idea for Iceswept Bay: Try doing a different version of outriding the outriders, with boats! Except some Dardan boats in the neighbourhood (for some reason), and they help slow the long boats down.
Sounds cool. I'll try it.
The World of Orbivm
GarethBeaumains

Post by GarethBeaumains »

Is there a reason there is an infinite number of assassins in "To Arendia"?

There must have been twenty that popped out. Cut through every single unit I had in their way. It was utterly unstoppable.

Something seemed very, very off.
SunTzu

Post by SunTzu »

I think that is because the elf general is supposed to die.

(i hope i'm not thinking about the wrong scenario, because that would be embarrasing)
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

:twisted:

Leithan is doomed to die, but I didn't have any flashes of inspiration for how to make that happen... the millions of assassins work, though they're kind of odd. They'll probably change eventually, but I think they work for now.
The World of Orbivm
troodon

Post by troodon »

Problem with scenario 4: Port City. I killed the enemy Lavinian, but nothing happened. For some reason, I can't upload the replay.
Lord Mikle

problem in "To Arendia"

Post by Lord Mikle »

First of all I'd like to say that this is a great campaign and I really like the units and the roman theme... great job :)
But.... there had to be a but.... I have a problem..

I see this issue has come up before but I couldn't see an answer...
Every time I try the scenario "To Arendia" the assassins end up going straight for the generals bodyguard and kill him, meaning I fail the scenario...

I guess from reading here that they should have killed the general but that doesn't happen in my game.

I've tried many different tactics as well as getting most of my troops killed by the onslaught in the attempt to keep the bodyguard from harm until the general dies...

I played it on bfw version 1.1.11 with the newest imperial era and Fall of Silvium installed.

has this been corrected for 1.1.12? just installed that version and just want to know if I should play the campaign again to get the full story?
Oreb

Post by Oreb »

I don't think it has been corrected, and would really need to be corrected, because we don't want Vaniyera dying now do we?
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

I'm confused as to what you mean. Who is the "general" you speak of - Leithan? Or Vaniyera? Or Caius? Or Jugarthus? I can't really help you until I know which one.
The World of Orbivm