Campaign: Fall of Silvium

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

Locked
Rothrorn
Posts: 110
Joined: April 26th, 2004, 8:03 am

Post by Rothrorn » July 24th, 2007, 8:01 am

I've found a strange bug in the scenario where you have to get to arendia. There are multiple copies of level 3 units available to recall - including the Tribune himself! I've inclduded a screenshot to show the recall list. Otherwise, a good, if hard campaign
Attachments
Picture 1.jpg
Picture 1.jpg (548.55 KiB) Viewed 2899 times
Rothrorn the Wise

Rothrorn
Posts: 110
Joined: April 26th, 2004, 8:03 am

Post by Rothrorn » July 24th, 2007, 8:13 am

Sorry, meant to say I'm using the latest version of the campaign from the server and Wesnoth 1.3.4.
Rothrorn the Wise

User avatar
turin
Lord of the East
Posts: 11662
Joined: January 11th, 2004, 7:17 pm
Location: Texas
Contact:

Post by turin » July 24th, 2007, 6:07 pm

Strange! So this first appeared at the beginning of the "To Arendia" scenario? I'll see if there's something in that or the previous scenario to cause it...

I've experienced someting similar playing The South Guard, I suspect the cause is the same... problem is I didn't fix the South Guard bug, anyone know what the cause turned out to be?
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm

Edward V Riley
Posts: 265
Joined: June 28th, 2007, 4:42 pm
Location: Baldwyn Mississippi

Fall of Silvium

Post by Edward V Riley » July 24th, 2007, 7:37 pm

First of all, it's been a pretty good campaign. However, there's been a few problems.

1- Seriously, the Marauders' movements seem out of whack. I see the movements for some at 5/5 but I swear they move a lot more than that, often at 8 or higher, no matter the terrain.

2- Vaniyera seems suicidal to me. Ok, I "contained" the "suicide squad" from the mountains. (TIP) I put 5 of a mix of centurions and Praetorian guards around one open spot of mountain, the result was that only one mauler at a time would show up for the ambush. He was easily slaughtered by their defensive positions, and after 2 turns, no more would appear. BUT
Vaniyera took it upon himself to go straight into the heart of the advancing horde from the south. With his movement, there's no way I can keep up with my units to give him some cover.

3-the Maulers seem way, way too overpowered, even with 'rage' as their explanation. Shouldn't the fact that their movement is so strong(yes, they too have more movement than their stats allow) diminish the impact of a rage attack?

All in all, it's been a good campaign. If only I knew how to program, I'd start working on some more campaigns involving the roman legions. The Punic Wars with Carthage could make at least 3 long campaigns and I'd love to see the stats for Scipio Africanus and Hannibal Barca units(Already picturing the elephant units). Also the battles with Scythia would be a great exercise in horse units. Also, the Juggerthine war would be another good campaign idea.
Who Knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?
The Shadow knows

Edward V Riley
Posts: 265
Joined: June 28th, 2007, 4:42 pm
Location: Baldwyn Mississippi

Post by Edward V Riley » July 24th, 2007, 10:32 pm

Also, looking for some historical information: How would a Legion commander who was defeated in battle be treated when he returned to Rome? He wouldn't be treated as if he was victorious, of course, but I was wondering how upset people would actually be... would he maybe lose his post? Or just be reprimanded? Maybe he would commit suicide; from reading "I, Claudius", that seems to be have been rather common among romans...

There are other things that could have happened.

1- Sent into exile along with his legions.

2-Sent back to his estate to grow barley or whatever. Rome was often practical and would try to never waste a good soldier. Putting him here was a way to recall him later if the need arose.

For more information, you COULD read the RIse of the Roman Empire and the Fall of the Roman Empire...but these books are huge. Instead, if you need any historical assistance for future campaigns involving almost any war/battle in history, Email me. Heck, I may not know how to program anything, but I've more historical knowledge than the professors you see on the History Channel. Email me at Shadowlcranston@aol.com
Who Knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?
The Shadow knows

User avatar
turin
Lord of the East
Posts: 11662
Joined: January 11th, 2004, 7:17 pm
Location: Texas
Contact:

Re: Fall of Silvium

Post by turin » July 24th, 2007, 11:07 pm

Edward V Riley wrote:First of all, it's been a pretty good campaign. However, there's been a few problems.

1- Seriously, the Marauders' movements seem out of whack. I see the movements for some at 5/5 but I swear they move a lot more than that, often at 8 or higher, no matter the terrain.
Eh? Weird... maybe it's just a perception... the Marauders do have good movement on most terrains; they only take one MP on forest, hills, and grassland, while Lavinians take two on forest and hills, so that might be why you have this perception.
Edward V Riley wrote:2- Vaniyera seems suicidal to me. Ok, I "contained" the "suicide squad" from the mountains. (TIP) I put 5 of a mix of centurions and Praetorian guards around one open spot of mountain, the result was that only one mauler at a time would show up for the ambush. He was easily slaughtered by their defensive positions, and after 2 turns, no more would appear. BUT
Vaniyera took it upon himself to go straight into the heart of the advancing horde from the south. With his movement, there's no way I can keep up with my units to give him some cover.
This has been changed in the most recent version.
Edward V Riley wrote:3-the Maulers seem way, way too overpowered, even with 'rage' as their explanation. Shouldn't the fact that their movement is so strong(yes, they too have more movement than their stats allow) diminish the impact of a rage attack?
I think you have a point - the Crushers are a bit underpowered and the Maulers a bit over-.
Edward V Riley wrote:There are other things that could have happened.

1- Sent into exile along with his legions.

2-Sent back to his estate to grow barley or whatever. Rome was often practical and would try to never waste a good soldier. Putting him here was a way to recall him later if the need arose.
OK, given what you say here, I think the current ending of FoS is pretty plausible.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm

Edward V Riley
Posts: 265
Joined: June 28th, 2007, 4:42 pm
Location: Baldwyn Mississippi

Post by Edward V Riley » July 24th, 2007, 11:18 pm

Now that you mention it, yes, the crushers are underpowered.

I hate it, but ideas come from nowhere and won't go away....

I was just thinking of something you could use along the lines of the Imperial Era. A viking scenario popped into my head. One in which they're looking for a place worth pillaging, but keep stumbling into poor villages already ravaged by past Viking raids(this may seem silly, but in France, this was their preferred method of dealing with the raids. Simply become too poor to be raided) Eventually, some enterprising French King gave this up and instead gave the Vikings land and nobility with the logic that VIkings aren't going to pillage their own land. Sounds odd, but it worked.
Who Knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?
The Shadow knows

User avatar
turin
Lord of the East
Posts: 11662
Joined: January 11th, 2004, 7:17 pm
Location: Texas
Contact:

Post by turin » August 1st, 2007, 3:52 pm

Note that 0.4.1 is released, the main change being compatibility with the just-released Imperial Era 0.16.3, which was released to maintain compatibility with the just-released Alfhelm the Wise 0.2. :P
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm

PhotonX
Posts: 24
Joined: October 3rd, 2007, 9:31 am
Location: Munich
Contact:

Post by PhotonX » November 18th, 2007, 2:28 pm

Why is there a round limit? Isn't it more logical that the battle continues until Caius is dead? I had the situation that I've lost because of the turn limit (killed three of four brothers and not managed to kill the last one because of the round limit). :)

User avatar
turin
Lord of the East
Posts: 11662
Joined: January 11th, 2004, 7:17 pm
Location: Texas
Contact:

Post by turin » November 18th, 2007, 5:13 pm

PhotonX wrote:Why is there a round limit? Isn't it more logical that the battle continues until Caius is dead? I had the situation that I've lost because of the turn limit (killed three of four brothers and not managed to kill the last one because of the round limit). :)
Good point. Fixed, will be in the next release.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm

Caeb
Posts: 68
Joined: September 11th, 2007, 2:02 am

Post by Caeb » December 4th, 2007, 10:34 am

exactly how do you beat this "Iceswept Bay"...? your ships have 4 movement and no weapons, enemy ships have 7 moves, you're outnumbered 2:1, and you only get a 1 turn head start... or is this as far as the campaign has been worked on...?

User avatar
turin
Lord of the East
Posts: 11662
Joined: January 11th, 2004, 7:17 pm
Location: Texas
Contact:

Post by turin » December 4th, 2007, 8:25 pm

Caeb wrote:exactly how do you beat this "Iceswept Bay"...? your ships have 4 movement and no weapons, enemy ships have 7 moves, you're outnumbered 2:1, and you only get a 1 turn head start... or is this as far as the campaign has been worked on...?
You get reinforcements, do you not? I'm able to beat it...

In any case, if you can't beat it, feel free to cheat your way past it - there are four scenarios after it, all of which are complete. Iceswept Bay was inserted as a 'bonus scenario' it's not integral to the plot, it's just an interesting addition. I am interested in ideas for how to make it more interesting, of course.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm

Caeb
Posts: 68
Joined: September 11th, 2007, 2:02 am

Post by Caeb » December 5th, 2007, 3:21 am

not sure when or where the reinforcements are supposed to come from... I've tried moving in every direction, but the enemy ships always catch up around turn 4 and there's no indication that any units outside of your starting 3 are given... (maybe it's because I've been using 1.3.10+svn for MP capabilities instead of 1.3.11...)

User avatar
turin
Lord of the East
Posts: 11662
Joined: January 11th, 2004, 7:17 pm
Location: Texas
Contact:

Post by turin » December 5th, 2007, 6:20 am

Huh. I'll test it again... you're supposed to go to the north-east, and support ships come at you from that direction.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm

Caeb
Posts: 68
Joined: September 11th, 2007, 2:02 am

Post by Caeb » December 5th, 2007, 10:42 am

oh, I see now... when it says "northeast," it means strictly northeast... otherwise, not much room for sight-seeing... and even once you see the allies, the enemy gets in its attack first, so some luck is involved... maybe if your allies are allowed to move before the enemy's turn as soon as you can see them...?

Locked