Campaign: Fall of Silvium

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

turin
Lord of the East

Campaign: Fall of Silvium

Post by turin »

I have just uploaded a new campaign to the 1.1 server - "The Fall of Silvium". It deals with the decline of the Lavinian Empire, and how the province of Silvium in particular fell.

It is by no means complete; all the maps are done, but WML and dialogue are far from finished. Any help would be appreciated.

To save space and avoid data redundancy, I have not included all of the Imperial Era units in the campaign download. So, you must have already downloaded the Imperial Era to play this campaign!

Have fun.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Gauteamus
Translator

Re: Campaign: Fall of Silvium

Post by Gauteamus »

I had a crash after initial story (I see the first map, then Wesnoth closes down, tried three times).

I use windows XP, Wesnoth 1.1.4
downloaded Imperial Era 0.10.0 some days ago.

Folder structure: ~/userdata/data/campaigns/(Fall_of_Silvium folder, Fall_of_Silvium.cfg, Imperial_Era folder, Imperial_Era.cfg)

where campaign server put them :-)
I had to look abit around because I thought new camps etc were to be put in wesnoth/data/campaigns, but singleplayer against AI has worked all right with Imperial Era factions.

I look forward to seeing the campaign, hope to be able to help (not only complain)
Play Dwarf Fortress, where berserker dwarves really make you cry!
My favourite Bach site:
-To hear with eyes belongs to love's fine wit
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Wierd. Doesn't crash with me, but I'm using an updated version of the imperial era (which I haven't yet released)... Maybe that's the problem. I'll upload the new IE version.

[edit]
The new version of the Imperial Era has been uploaded it. Download it, then try the campaign again. (No need to redownload FoS itself, I haven't changed it at all.)
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
The World of Orbivm
sharris0512

Post by sharris0512 »

I'm impressed by it. I've played the first couple of scenarios and I'm hooked into it. If it wasn't for work related to job and work related to school, I would've stayed up late last night to finish it.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Thanks.

I just released 0.1.2; it basically fixes some more bugs that made the campaign unplayable past the first scenario.

I'm going to release 0.1.3 either this afternoon, or tomorrow. It will have dialogue for the first two scenarios, and fix any obvious bugs.
The World of Orbivm
aelius

Post by aelius »

turin,
Looks like a good start to the campaign - you've hit the Roman army's tension between reckless attacking and discipline well in the first scenario. Mr. Picky would suggest that in the difficulty ratings Consul is a higher rank than Legatus. You might want something like: centurion (easy), tribunus (medium), imperator (hard).

Any chance of a character named Aelius appearing somewhere in the campaign? A scoundrel, of course...

- b.
La perfection est atteinte non quand il ne reste rien à ajouter, mais quand il ne reste rien à enlever. - Antoine de Saint Exupery (of course)
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

aelius wrote:turin,
Looks like a good start to the campaign - you've hit the Roman army's tension between reckless attacking and discipline well in the first scenario. Mr. Picky would suggest that in the difficulty ratings Consul is a higher rank than Legatus. You might want something like: centurion (easy), tribunus (medium), imperator (hard).
Sure - I was not confident at all about the names I picked for the difficulty levels, and apparently I was wrong about them.
aelius wrote:Any chance of a character named Aelius appearing somewhere in the campaign? A scoundrel, of course...

- b.
Sure. He can be one of the noblemen you can rescue in exchange for gold. ;)
The World of Orbivm
tsr

Post by tsr »

I've just downloaded both the Imperial Era and this campaign from the server.

After finnishing the first scenario and moving into the second one I get the following error: load_game_failed: "Attempt to de-serialize an empty unit"

I saved a replay and the game.

Running 1.1.4 on Linux

/tsr
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

I think I've fixed that bug in my home version. It will certainly be fixed next release.

How'd you like the first scenario?
The World of Orbivm
tsr

Post by tsr »

On easy, well it's easy :D

I just walked and left two lvl1 units behind in the middle to die.

/tsr
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

tsr wrote:On easy, well it's easy :D

I just walked and left two lvl1 units behind in the middle to die.

/tsr
You can do this, yes, but if you don't force him to retreat the next scenario is harder... so, have you tried it forcing him to retreat?
The World of Orbivm
tsr

Post by tsr »

Well, since I couldn't play the next scenario, big deal :D

Ok, I'll try that, later...

...some five minutes later:

I think it's too easy even to make him retreat, maybe cut down on my gold or increase his, I didn't loose any units in my first attempt.

(Maybe u could tighten up the number of turns and set it up so that the player encounters the 'enemy' at dawn (instead of first/second watch), so that the opponent has 3 favourable turns, instead of 1-2.)

Maybe I should start playing on medium :?:

/tsr
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

No, I think you're right, its too easy. On medium, I have never won it by moving my leader, because I always defeat his army before that happens... maybe he should get some gold on turn 8 or something...
The World of Orbivm
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

1.1.3 is released; it should be much more balanced on the first scenario, and the second scenario is playable. The third scenario will probably start if you reach it, but I have no idea if it will work or not, and it is probably horribly unbalanced...
The World of Orbivm
tsr

Post by tsr »

I replayed it on easy, trying some things out, what makes it harder is if I only used one of the castle tiles to recruit. Then I managed to loose.

I suppose that makes it to hard on medium and/or hard so maybe just having two tiles is hard enough and dropping Septus Triptus?

Ok, now I replayed it on medium, leaving Septus Triptus behind and just using two tiles, here is the replay.

I'd say it works better like this, also if the scenario started on the second watch instead of in the dawn.