The Dark Hordes (back from the dead!)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

scott

Post by scott »

Ryorin wrote:Love the thread's name, I can't seem to ever beat the first scenario, maybe I just suck at it or something. Then again undead aren't my forte.
The first scenario is supposed to be a sandbox to give you some experience. You should be able to end up with one or more units at L2. The campaign originally started with the scenario where you fight your brother.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
joshudson

Post by joshudson »

I've been playing around at this one. I am particulary disappointed in one thing: you are given one bat at the beginning as your only scout, but you cannot recruit either ghosts or bats. So, you better keep your bat alive or you have a hard time gathering cities in the next scenario.
CHKDSK has repaired bad sectors in CHKDSK.EXE
toms

Post by toms »

wtf are you talking about?? You can recruit ghosts from the first scenario on, and in the second you get the bats with Adepts and corpses.
First read, then think. Read again, think again. And then post!
joshudson

Post by joshudson »

I'm looking at the version on the campaign server right now. No, you can't.
Free

Post by Free »

Joshudson is right. Once you kill the villager though, you get skeletons, but no ghosts.

Wow, I liked this campaign a lot better before.
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

Free wrote:Wow, I liked this campaign a lot better before.
Me, too. I'm happy to see it resurrected, but at present it has unfortunately lost a bit of its charm (if that's the right word). In particular, I wish more of the original dialogue had been kept -- "Prepare to die....again".

Also, I've always liked that cave level with which the original version ended. I know Xandra wanted it extensively overhauled, but I would like to see it stay mostly the same -- on the condition, that is, that we get to recruit ghosts starting on the first or second level of the campaign. That cave level is impossiible without wraiths, after all.
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

Temuchin Khan wrote:
Me, too. I'm happy to see it resurrected, but at present it has unfortunately lost a bit of its charm (if that's the right word). In particular, I wish more of the original dialogue had been kept -- "Prepare to die....again".
On second thought, this line really wouldn't fit in its original context anymore, given some of the changes that have been made to the campaign. Could it be worked into another level, though?
joshudson

Post by joshudson »

Temuchin Khan wrote:

Also, I've always liked that cave level with which the original version ended. I know Xandra wanted it extensively overhauled, but I would like to see it stay mostly the same -- on the condition, that is, that we get to recruit ghosts starting on the first or second level of the campaign. That cave level is impossiible without wraiths, after all.
Oh come on. I did it without either recruting or recalling anything.
Free

Post by Free »

joshudson wrote:
Temuchin Khan wrote: Me, too. I'm happy to see it resurrected, but at present it has unfortunately lost a bit of its charm (if that's the right word). In particular, I wish more of the original dialogue had been kept -- "Prepare to die....again".

Oh come on. I did it without either recruting or recalling anything.
Don't we all love Dread Liches? :P
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

Free wrote:
joshudson wrote: Oh come on. I did it without either recruting or recalling anything.
Don't we all love Dread Liches? :P
Well, I suppose if you had a Dread Lich....
Free

Post by Free »

Temuchin Khan wrote:
Free wrote: Don't we all love Dread Liches? :P
Well, I suppose if you had a Dread Lich....
Oh, yeah that's right! He's not an initiate anymore. Just another reason I liked the campaign before a ton better.
freim
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by freim »

Man, what a bunch of whiners. How about treating this as what it is, a work in progress.
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

freim wrote:Man, what a bunch of whiners. How about treating this as what it is, a work in progress.
freim wrote:Man, what a bunch of whiners. How about treating this as what it is, a work in progress.
Well, to speak for myself, my intention is not to whine but to try to influence the direction in which it develops. Overall, I'm happy to see this campaign resurrected, and I hope the comments I've made so far do not detract from pjr's desire to see this through.

Indeed, if I've contributed to any dampening of his enthusiasm for the project, I'm sorry. Such was not my intention.
Free

Post by Free »

Free wrote:
Wow, I liked this campaign a lot better before.
Something wrong with that?
Free wrote:
Oh, yeah that's right! He's not an initiate anymore. Just another reason I liked the campaign before a ton better.
Something wrong with that either? I'm just expressing my opinion.
What Free could have wrote:
Ugg! This campaign stinks!!! What is wrong with you people??? It was so much cooler before. Change it back, NOW!!!
Yes, now this could very well be considered whining.
anatelos

Post by anatelos »

Nice idea, the occasional additional bat for Gwiti. UtBS introduced Lvl 3 Dread Bats. I'd like to see them here, too.

Gwiti could get an additional dark abilitiy, to oppose illumination and give nightstalking a wider chance Maybe "shade" or "darken" can be useful as an intermediate advance toward Lich.

A similar idea shows up in the Liberty campaign, in a later scenario.

anatelos
Attachments
dark-abilities.zip
(29.45 KiB) Downloaded 118 times